Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope this Album + the "dark" Album will be a success for Bonnie and motivate her to continue releasing music. She definitely seems like the type of Artist who could acquire a decently sized cult following.

• Like 3

On 4/18/2024 at 4:25 PM, izzzyyy said:

Gays truly are an anomaly to me. They're usually the fakest and most negative people ever, and this forum has taught me I can add 'entitled' to that list. To all of you who were dogging on Bonnie for, "gaslighting," and "lying," all while she was working on this album, I am done validating your delusional fantasies. Bonnie does not owe anybody ANYTHING. (None of this is directed at you btw, I agree 100%)

Haha, I completely agree!!

• Like 3

On 4/18/2024 at 10:25 PM, izzzyyy said:

Gays truly are an anomaly to me. They're usually the fakest and most negative people ever, and this forum has taught me I can add 'entitled' to that list. To all of you who were dogging on Bonnie for, "gaslighting," and "lying," all while she was working on this album, I am done validating your delusional fantasies. Bonnie does not owe anybody ANYTHING. (None of this is directed at you btw, I agree 100%)

100% agree. And this forum isn't even that bad... look at ATRL for example😶‍🌫️

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 6:44 PM, izzzyyy said:

Unfortunately, Bonnie couldn’t make a decision either way. Iirc Bonnie’s contract allowed her to re-record songs as long as they weren’t paid for release by her label. (This is why she said she couldn’t include AG.) 

Yes, she managed to release both SIYH and Sleepwalker which had music videos, but the label never intended to TECHNICALLY release them. (As in, lisencing… etc.) However, Somebody’s Gonna Get Hurt was supposed to be released as a promotional single in 2013, this eventually got cancelled, but the lisencing remained paid for. As a result, Bonnie has to either buy back the lisence (expensive as FUCK, and also extremely time consuming) or just let it go.

She could still re-record Last Call Lover and Somebody's Gonna Get Hurt if she bought them back, but she said she's not going to because Greg's production was amazing and it would be disrespectful to have someone else re-do it. (Greg is a legend in the songwriting community, I've worked with producers who have been producing for over a decade who revere him- I agree he's fucking amazing too) "Right Now" is another one that was way too expensive to buy back and some old dude from a 70/80s rock band played on the original version so it would be hard to capture the essence of the original.

Edited by RedBloodedWoman
  • Like 4
  • YAAASSS 1

58 minutes ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

She could still re-record Last Call Lover and Somebody's Gonna Get Hurt if she bought them back, but she said she's not going to because Greg's production was amazing and it would be disrespectful to have someone else re-do it. (Greg is a legend in the songwriting community, I've worked with producers who have been producing for over a decade who revere him- I agree he's fucking amazing too) "Right Now" is another one that was way too expensive to buy back and some old dude from a 70/80s rock band played on the original version so it would be hard to capture the essence of the original.

this makes sense. for the longest time i couldn't figure out what she meant by, "paid for in full." apparently she's always not been fond of last call lover tho... which is unfortunate.

Edited by izzzyyy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

Greg Kurstin is seriously one of my favorite pop producers of all time. In my opinion he’s in the same league as absolutely legends like Max Martin, I know when I see his name in the writing/production credits of a song I’m about to be blown away. He deserves his flowers, he’s so underrated in the pop community. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, izzzyyy said:

this makes sense. for the longest time i couldn't figure out what she meant by, "paid for in full." apparently she's always not been fond of last call lover tho... which is unfortunate.

When did she say she didn’t like Last Call Lover?

15 hours ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

When did she say she didn’t like Last Call Lover?

She never said it directly, but she said in 2022 that it was, "never at the top of her list" (for release) iirc, but that she was grateful people liked it. Then on live 2023, someone spammed her to play Last Call Lover, and she almost did, but was like, "this is probably never coming out."

Edited by izzzyyy

I will never get why greedy labels/executives will hoard her masters.. like I'm sure she'd 100% be down for them to be released even if it was with a percentage going to the Label. They're collecting dust and no one profits off of it. The Music Industry really is a mystery. 

4 hours ago, Cornelia said:

I will never get why greedy labels/executives will hoard her masters.. like I'm sure she'd 100% be down for them to be released even if it was with a percentage going to the Label. They're collecting dust and no one profits off of it. The Music Industry really is a mystery. 

It's not a mystery it's antiquated and set up to exploit artists with maximum earnings going to the execs. They see someone they can commoditize and work to death like they did with Britney. At the end of the day the artist may be in it for the music/art, but the people they sign their lives away to are in it for the money.

• Like 4