Girls Aloud

Main Pop Girl

7 hours ago, Leaving said:

Definitely the most unique girl group I know of. The songs are so well produced that they sound current even now 20 years later

It's so funny, I was on a walk listening to Chemistry the other day and thought "If someone like Ariana or DUA (tbh) released music like this people would shit. them. selves. Over how it was put together and produced amirite?? Sounded so wildly Y2K but so modern, praise be to Xenomania

2 hours ago, MeantToBeIconic said:

It's so funny, I was on a walk listening to Chemistry the other day and thought "If someone like Ariana or DUA (tbh) released music like this people would shit. them. selves. Over how it was put together and produced amirite?? Sounded so wildly Y2K but so modern, praise be to Xenomania

Let's be real, Ariana and Dua could never have the range :yeah: Pop is way too safe now and no one is making the kind of interesting pop Xenomania used to

2 hours ago, Leaving said:

Let's be real, Ariana and Dua could never have the range :yeah: Pop is way too safe now and no one is making the kind of interesting pop Xenomania used to

Of course not, I was just talking about the style of production. People would call it near revolutionary if one of those two did it, but they could never do it justice as far as style or attitude

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...

Kimberly has confirmed that they have some more alternative versions of songs from the first album coming within the next few months!

'We've got some fun alternative versions of songs lying around and little re-releases just to kind of mark that because, you know, it's a big deal.

'20 years is a long time and the love that we still feel for Sound Of The Underground and some of the songs from the first album are still huge.

'So it still feels like something to celebrate, but in a kind of sort of discreet way, I guess.'

'I think there's already been one re-release of Sound Of The Underground with different girls singing different lyrics, which is quite fun.

'I mean, if you're a fan, it's fun. I'm not sure how much fun it is if you're not really into Girls Aloud. But yeah, just things like that.'

I hope we get some songs with the original demo production as well, and maybe even some outtakes. I would love to hear some more of the non-Xenomania produced songs they recorded for the first album 👀

• YAAASSS 2

39 minutes ago, Leaving said:

I would love to hear some more of the non-Xenomania produced songs they recorded for the first album 👀

A long time ago I heard that many were recycled on Holly Valance’s sophomore album “State of Mind”.

London Records coincidentally put out the same ‘edgy 21st century pop album’ brief to industry writers in the same time period that Polydor also did for Girls Aloud.

Holly worked with at least three separate production teams (that Girls Aloud also did) during the same time period.

As with Sugababes “Too in Love”, later not being permitted an official release (as it went to James Arthur and became “Get Down”) - original, lyric versions of the GA songs that ended up being re-lyriced by Holly - cannot receive an official release as they were bought by London (now Warner’s) and GA were on Polydor (Universal).

However, I believe there are at least two early and unused, Metro produced GA tracks in the archive that got shelved and also two other separate Mathias Johannson/ Henrik Korpi tracks that no-one else later went on to re-record.

Although it’s not relevant to this thread, the Holly track “Curious” was originally recorded by Kylie and (like the song “Toxic”), it was originally intended for an early draft of Kylie’s ninth studio album (that later metamorphosed into “Body Language”, before Kylie switched A&R direction) and these two early demo submissions were subsequently binned.

Later into production, Parlophone A&R switched direction with a new writers brief requesting a ‘languid’, down tempo, left-field pop track. Two tracks, “Hypnotic” and “Slow” were submitted (in response) by different writing teams aiming to fulfil the requisite brief, the Kylie co-write “Slow” won the race with the cast-off going to Holly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 9:11 PM, Dax Diameter said:

A long time ago I heard that many were recycled on Holly Valance’s sophomore album “State of Mind”.

London Records coincidentally put out the same ‘edgy 21st century pop album’ brief to industry writers in the same time period that Polydor also did for Girls Aloud.

Holly worked with at least three separate production teams (that Girls Aloud also did) during the same time period.

As with Sugababes “Too in Love”, later not being permitted an official release (as it went to James Arthur and became “Get Down”) - original, lyric versions of the GA songs that ended up being re-lyriced by Holly - cannot receive an official release as they were bought by London (now Warner’s) and GA were on Polydor (Universal).

However, I believe there are at least two early and unused, Metro produced GA tracks in the archive that got shelved and also two other separate Mathias Johannson/ Henrik Korpi tracks that no-one else later went on to re-record.

Although it’s not relevant to this thread, the Holly track “Curious” was originally recorded by Kylie and (like the song “Toxic”), it was originally intended for an early draft of Kylie’s ninth studio album (that later metamorphosed into “Body Language”, before Kylie switched A&R direction) and these two early demo submissions were subsequently binned.

Later into production, Parlophone A&R switched direction with a new writers brief requesting a ‘languid’, down tempo, left-field pop track. Two tracks, “Hypnotic” and “Slow” were submitted (in response) by different writing teams aiming to fulfil the requisite brief, the Kylie co-write “Slow” won the race with the cast-off going to Holly.

This would all be interesting to hear! I really enjoyed the productions by Peters & Peters and Betty Boo and the Beatmasters on the first album so any outtakes from them would be cool to hear. I'll have to check out the Holly Valance albums and figure out which girl would sing which part (I'm sure it will be Nadine singing 90% as per usual :cackle:)

1 hour ago, Leaving said:

This would all be interesting to hear! I really enjoyed the productions by Peters & Peters and Betty Boo and the Beatmasters on the first album so any outtakes from them would be cool to hear. I'll have to check out the Holly Valance albums and figure out which girl would sing which part (I'm sure it will be Nadine singing 90% as per usual :cackle:)

Holly’s second album is essential listening (her debut .. not so much).

• LMAO 1

• 2 weeks later...