Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/6/2022 at 6:01 PM, Britneyadmiring said:

Touch & Go is supposedly a demo for Britney according to some people, but honestly It seems weird to me 🤷🏻‍♂️ Sky Ferreira was very clear in saying that none of the songs on "Cry Baby" was for artists 

I remember that one of the Sky tracks was registered some time before the other, without Sky credited. But I'm fairly certain it was Paper Doll, not Touch & Go. That doesn't necessarily mean anything - it could just mean that she wrote that one beforehand and during the session Sky added some bits and then they also did Touch & Go.

If there's a Britney track with that title confirmed, it's most like one writen by The Writing Camp (Evan Bogart, Erika Nuri, David Quiñones & Victoria Horn) and produced by Bloodshy & Avant. It was registered at that time and it was confirmed at the time (Circus, not Femme Fatale) by Evan or Victoria (I don't remember) that they worked on tracks with Bloodshy & Avant (as well as Danja) for Circus.

On 11/7/2022 at 7:23 PM, izzzyyy said:

she didn't record the katy co writes

Well I'm not sure what 'those song' are exactly, but Wide Awake is most likely an exception.

Not just in that Bonnie probably reffed it, but that it was mostly Bonnie on writing the lyrics as well. (Or one of the exceptions, as Bonnie was clearly generalizing since we know Hold It Against Me was written for Katy Perry initially and we got Laws Of Love recently - although I kinda wonder if that's really 'just' a Katy Perry track, and not written as a duet between Katy & Rihanna).

Anyway...the original title of that song before Bonnie jumped on it was "No Matter What". I was always under the impression that that version was written for the Backstreet Boys' DNA album, although I can't actually find any info on that anywhere. So I may have just filled in that blank.

"When Max Martin sings demos, he sings nonsensical stuff, just phonetically pleasing lyrics, and originally it was "No Matter What," which is super universal and also would have probably been a hit song, but I heard it with his accent and there were a bunch of effects on his voice, so I heard it as "I'm Wide Awake," even though that didn't rhyme or anything. I came back in and I had written this whole thing that was "I'm wide awake, I'm born again," and Max was like, "No, no, it's 'No Matter What.'" But then Max was like, "This is cool," and I was like, "Alright!" Happy accident I guess."

https://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/bonnie-mckee

It doesn't outright say she recorded the demo, but it seems kinda likely.

On 11/8/2022 at 3:54 PM, Ice Prince said:

whoa, i always thought While We Still Have Wings was like 2015 or something. reading Fraser T. Smith's full name distracted me lol.

It's hard to say for sure since songs get re-registered sometimes etc, but I looked at a few sites and it seems to be from around 2016.

7 hours ago, tropicalian said:

both registered epic era (2012-2013)

It's pretty unlikely these were for the Epic album, pretty sure they were written at the same Denise Rich Aspen writing camp in 2011 as War Of The Worlds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otaku said:

It's pretty unlikely these were for the Epic album, pretty sure they were written at the same Denise Rich Aspen writing camp in 2011 as War Of The Worlds.

Ready Or Not is closer to epic album but the production is significantly worse than anything from there.

But Stranded is definitely giving pitch that she didn’t write cos the lyrics are not like her.

1 hour ago, Otaku said:

If there's a Britney track with that title confirmed, it's most like one writen by The Writing Camp (Evan Bogart, Erika Nuri, David Quiñones & Victoria Horn) and produced by Bloodshy & Avant. It was registered at that time and it was confirmed at the time (Circus, not Femme Fatale) by Evan or Victoria (I don't remember) that they worked on tracks with Bloodshy & Avant (as well as Danja) for Circus.

That's interesting! The writing camp worked a lot for Britney, in fact there are so many demos of them on music sites but it's hard to figure out which one sings, because all the tracks are under the tag "The writing camp" (most are produced by Brian Kennedy, OAK, The Underdogs, etc)

Edited by Britneyadmiring

2 hours ago, Otaku said:

It doesn't outright say she recorded the demo, but it seems kinda likely.

These are Bonnie's words, not mine, she did not record any Katy demo's. Also where did Bonnie say Hold It Against Me was for Katy?😭 Bonnie sings on Laws of Love, but the pre-chorus also has the line "we are here to let you know."

Edited by izzzyyy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, T2P said:

Ready Or Not is closer to epic album but the production is significantly worse than anything from there.

But Stranded is definitely giving pitch that she didn’t write cos the lyrics are not like her.

I only had a quick listen, but Ready Or Not sounds nothing like a Bonnie track...? It sounds like a Rihanna session gone horribly wrong. Stranded actually sounds much more like a Bonnie track IMO, but not from that era. It sounds like a Leona Lewis track.

I'm sorry, but people in this thread are way too focused on most of her leaks being either for herself or Britney. She wrote tons of tracks for tons of people that we do or don't 'officially' know about. It's safe to assume that Bonnie wrote for 'most' albums, by certain major artists (especially female ones), around 2010-2012. Regardless of if it's confirmed or if there's 'a connection'.

Is there any reason to assume she wrote a track for Céline Dion or One Direction or Usher ? No. Is it extremely likely? Yes.

Her constantly saying shit like 'she's super picky about her collabos but she just keeps getting offers she can't refuse' when she was working on her album only referred to that specific period, and was probably greatly exaggerated at that. Even if she had massive hits with Katy out, she still had publishing deals with both Rx and Pulse that probably gave her an obligation to write songs for others.

Not to be a smartass, just to clarify:

I'm making an assumption here, but I'm guessing @tropicalian mentioned 2012-2013 as an indication, probably based on the BMI work ID number or something. No shade to him, but that's kind of an 'iffy' way of going about pinpointing when tracks were written because:

A) Tracks aren't always registered shortly after they're written. It varies greatly, but generally speaking, from the late 00s or so on, a lot of tracks weren't registered until they were placed with/acquired by an artist. Some writers do seem to register most of their tracks, but that seemingly became more and more rare as publishing sites got more attention from the general public (sadly I blame myself in part for that, but that's beside the point).

At any rate, most writers don't go and register their tracks the day after they've written them. I assume it's usually done by management or something anyway, but even so, most people seem to register their tracks in batches.

Obviously this isn't a hard rule, but it's...much more 'the norm' than writer's rushing to log onto BMI to register tracks that will probably never be released as soon as they finish recording the demo.

B) Like I said, tracks get re-registered sometimes. Could be because it's recorded by another artists (perhaps in a different territory, like the Asian or Hispanic or Europena market), or because the track had incomplete info, writers or publishers that weren't (properly) credited, etc.

Sometimes a writer will sign a deal with a new publishing company, and sometimes when that happens, publishing companies acquire (part of) their catalogue. Sometimes a certain writer or publisher's entire catalogue is sold to a publishing company, without them signing to that publishing company.

C) Aside from that, it's still kind of hard to tell exactly what (rough) date a registerd work relates to.

You have to compare work numbers of several tracks you know were released at a certain time and try to get a timeline. But it's extremely hard to really pinpoint that stuff exactly, like to the month.

I've spoken a bit about this before when Bonnie's version of War Of The Worlds leaked and I 're-leaked' Makeba's version...

Denise Rich is a veteran songwriter active since the mid 80s. She may not the biggest household name, but in the industry she's well-known and respected. She has a home in Aspen, where she held these annual BMI-centric writing camps from at least) the late 00s well into the 10s.

Panic! At The Disco's High Hopes is a very random song that was written at one of the later camps. It seems like those camps generally weren't aimed at specific artists, but basically just to add a ton of tracks to BMI's catalogue (and have like a semi-vacation). Of course, it's not unlikely that at those camps, writers would do tracks for certain big artists or artists they were working with at the time. Most likely though, they mostly wrote tracks that could potentially be pitched to multiple artists. Like 'the uptempo urban track' or 'dance pop track' artists and 'the victorious ballad' talent show winners.

Although not impossible, it is very unlikely they were ever specifically writing tracks for Bonnie there, though. Especially with  Makeba, or writers from Nashville like Luke Laird & Tommy Lee James.

Tracks like Dose & Leaving LA were done at the 2009 writing camp:

6B6160EC-2FF5-49E0-B091-8598C03D0728@hom

Bonnie with Oligee, Claude, PJ Bianco etc at the 2010 camp:

7B4FC602-E4EF-4597-A8AD-6D98AB7C2BB6@hom

Bonnie with Denise & BC Jean:

MG_2246-1500x1000.jpg

Makeba with Ross Golan, Denise & Luke Laird:

458F74A1-5745-4F35-BF10-620AA77C5D76@hom

They're towards the end here:

https://deniserichsongs.com/photos 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T2P said:

i also never read this before 

Literally. Bonnie said on the tiktok about Hold It Against Me was that she was working on Femme Fatale and Teenage Dream at the same time, but she specified she was working on a beat for Britney, and had toplined a melody. However, she couldn't get anything down until Katy walked in, and she told her she had a nice body. The beat was always for Britney.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, izzzyyy said:

These are Bonnie's words, not mine, she did not record any Katy demo's. Also where did Bonnie say Hold It Against Me was for Katy?😭 Bonnie sings on Laws of Love, but the pre-chorus also has the line "we are here to let you know."

Oh, I wasn't implying you're talking shit or anything - like I said, she may just have been generalizing. It seems like Wide Awake simply came 'from another place' than most of the tracks she did with Katy & Max Martin.

15 minutes ago, low kii savage said:

All she did say is she saw Katy and commented her appearance and that's how the song came to life, let's not spread misinformation girlies :yaskween:

I don't know where it came from, but that misinformation has been around looong before the size of Bonnie's eyes quadrupled. It may have been Max Martin or Dr Luke, or just bullshit. But it's been said that Hold It Against Me had been very briefly considered for Katy, but quickly rejected cause it really wasn't her sound, since around the time it came out. Long before she ever said anything about it being inspired by her.

Edited by Otaku

Just now, Otaku said:

I don't know where it came from, but that misinformation has been around looong before the size of Bonnie's eyes quadrupled. It may have been Max Martin or Dr Luke, or just bullshit. But it's been said that Hold It Against Me had been very briefly considered for Katy since around the time it came out. Long before she ever said anything about it being inspired by her.

I fear the "misinformation" comes from Bonnie herself, all it takes is to listen to the podcasts she's attended and if there's an actual, factual proof that this song was for Katy (that doesn't come from Twitter or random ATRL insider), educate us! I get it, Bonnie is a pathological liar, is very bad at spending her money on the stuff she actually should, but why would she lie about song that's been already released? I can't wait for another essay about how Let There Be Love was actually meant for Katy Hudson since Bonnie and Katy were born at the same hospital *that's where you include pics*!

• Like 1

• Cypher changed the title to Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)