Sugababes

Main Pop Girl

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, sunshineslave said:

Love how the tape is hiding the Sugababes name because they couldn't use it at the time.:orly:

It even happens on the proper vinyl not only on the cover.

Sad to have missed out on the silver vinyl. It was already sold out before I found out they were doing physical copies.

https://sugababes.tmstor.es/product/119745

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dax Diameter said:

Sad to have missed out on the silver vinyl. It was already sold out before I found out they were doing physical copies.

https://sugababes.tmstor.es/product/119745

I think the black one looks better. Silver vinyl are only gray as I've heard.

The babes are announcing at every concert that they've got a big annoucenent to make at the O2. People believe that they are drawing a line with the Lost Tape era with the vinyl release to announce new music. 

Shygirl is announced as a support for the show. Maybe they'll premiere a collaboration at the show. Anyway they seem to be building up the cool alternative image they had again. They recently did the Boiler Room and from the images and the testimonies of fans, it was pretty wild.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 8:37 AM, sunshineslave said:

Love how the tape is hiding the Sugababes name because they couldn't use it at the time.:orly:

It even happens on the proper vinyl not only on the cover.

I didn't notice that :orly: What a cool detail. Although I lowkey wish they'd just called the album "Mutya Keisha Siobhan" or "MKS" to give some credit to that era <3 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 3:23 AM, Main Pop Girl said:

I didn't notice that :orly: What a cool detail. Although I lowkey wish they'd just called the album "Mutya Keisha Siobhan" or "MKS" to give some credit to that era <3 

Exactly what I thought. Plus having the album called "Mutya Keisha Siobhan" in the Sugababes discography would make the original lineup stand more.

I get there are certain things they don’t want to admit to and that’s fine, the proof is not documented (or rather they lost access to it) time moves on. Going there merely opens an unnecessary, festering Pandora’s box of sweltering angst amongst the fanbase (so I won’t be the one to open it).

It makes sense from a marketing standpoint to only tell the public what they (we) need to know when presenting us with the (finally) released iteration of the album in the form of “the lost tapes” in 2022.

We know the album only got given that stupid “lost tapes” title and dubious track sequencing in 2022 (on account of it being held in storage for best part of a decade) and we know why.

We also know “Too in Love” and “Love in Stereo” were part of the original track sequence and only had to be removed from the 2022 iteration of the album due to their sale in intervening years to other artists (James Arthur and Bananarama). We also know the original iteration of the album would have used “Lay Down In Swimming Pools” and not “I Lay Down” (but licensing to the Kendrick Lamar sample expired).

I’m glad they eventually had the psychological release of getting an adapted iteration of the album finally out there (much like Bonnie McKee now).

However, all I’m personally taking away from “the lost tapes” is a sense of being grateful that we got those tracks in WAV (some of the updated ad-libs remain questionable and in some cases the old ad-libs were better).

If I never see a “Sacred Three” fan artwork ever again, it will still be too soon.

Edited by Dax Diameter

"Mutya Keisha Siobhan" was my first idea for the album's title so I would have loved that but I actually don't mind the lost tapes. Plus I love how they made it work graphically on the physical release. (By the way, limited CDs are being sold now as well!). And I think it's a smart choice commercially to point out it's not an actual new album. They need to keep the momentum for what's coming next.

No regrets would have been great at the time but it wouldn't work now as I think there definitely are regrets that the era could not work out as planned and took 10 years to get closure. 

As for the sequencing I surely miss Love in Stereo but appart from that I actually think the tracklist really works well. Drum surely is surprising as an opener but, as far as I'm concerned, it's a good surprise. The song is so different that it wouldn't flow well in the middle of the album. As for Too in love, it's one of my least favorite from the era so I'm happy it's not there. Plus Beat Has Gone and Metal Heart being on the regular edition is mandatory for me so I'm glad they changed their mind. It totally makes up for the absence of Love in Stereo. I still miss the original version of Summer of 99 but the new one is still good so in general I'm pretty much happy with their choices. 

Edited by sunshineslave
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sunshineslave said:

(By the way, limited CDs are being sold now as well!).

Thanks, that wasn’t there when I last checked. I see they have left the “deluxe edition” tracks off (I ordered nonetheless).

I note it has a September release. I’m so going to hate myself when October rolls around and they announce a physical CD repack with the three “extra” tracks.

I hate falling for this kind of bogus, staggered release strategy skullduggery!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

Thanks, that wasn’t there when I last checked. I see they have left the “deluxe edition” tracks off (I ordered nonetheless).

I note it has a September release. I’m so going to hate myself when October rolls around and they announce a physical CD repack with the three “extra” tracks.

I hate falling for this kind of bogus, staggered release strategy skullduggery!

Yeah I definitely understand how you feel. I don't think they are trying to milk the fans but rather being cautious and testing the water. They won't print two editions of the album if it is gonna be a limited number of them. Since the normal edition is their vision I think it was right to have this one if they were gonna have only one on physicals. 

Seing how it sold out very fast with no promotion, they are surely gonna have reprints, maybe a more regular release available everywhere (like you said, in october probably or even for the O2). In those conditions I don't see why they wouldn't release the Deluxe Edition.

Personaly, I don't mind as I'm not a fan of the deluxe tracks :

• I hate their version of Breath Me. I don't understand why they would turn such a delicate song into cheap Dubstep and especially release it now that it aged so badly. Keisha said on Instagram that she would have released it as a single. I'm glad they didn't.

• Back to life is ok but I never listen to it. The autotune on the released one makes me like it even less.

• I like Only You but not enough to miss it when it's not there. Plus I don't think it fits with the sound of the album. Would have been good on a dance EP with Light Up and Pillow Talk though.😋
Edited by sunshineslave
  • Like 1