Sugababes

Main Pop Girl

New remix of Round Round getting traction on TikTok.

It's pretty strange cause I had something very similar in mind for them to end the song with live with Keisha belting "And I go... and I go... and I Go" while the babes everyone in the crowd were jumping.

This slaps but we need the verses. 

What about an official release with MKS on vocals just like for Joy (Push the button) ?

Edited by sunshineslave
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/15/2024 at 12:38 PM, Main Pop Girl said:

I'd be here for some reworks of older songs! Even if they went for some of the lesser known singles like Change or Soul Sound I'd prefer it to hearing Overload and Push the Button for the 1000th time. I really just want new music to see what they're capable of in 2024!

I don't think Push the Button or Overload are going anywhere to be honest. They are two of their signature songs and most popular for both 1.0 and 2.0 lineups. I can see About you now coming and going because it's a 3.0 song, the rest of the biggest hits are probably going to stay. The best option for now is that some of the biggest song are stacked into a medley so they can have more time for other stuff. Otherwise we can only hope for them to make new hits so the older one are not as mandatory as they are now to attract the general public. 

That being said, new music seems to be coming soon😍😝

https://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/24309241.sugababes-bring-bops-nocturne-blenheim-palace/

Buchanan, Buena and Donaghy are now putting the finishing touches to their new album and are still as into music as ever.

Siobhan said: “With our new music, it’s always hard to describe as we jump around so much with genres.

"I feel like we can take it dark and poetic and then also bring the bops.

"Our new record has really been coming together and we’re at the fun, finishing touches stage of it now.

"We’ve had total creative freedom and as always have played around with genres knowing that whatever the sound, if we do our signature harmony blend, it naturally ends up as a Sugababes record."

Perhaps giving a clue to the sound Mutya added that she is currently 'really loving' R&B singers Jazmine Sullivan, Victoria Monet and Sasha Keable.

They've mentioned some of the same informations in another interview with Keisha using the S word again so it at least means that they have a body of work that they're confortable with. 

With lots of big shows coming including Glastonbury, a new single soon and premiering other songs live would be the best opportunity to get people exited for what's coming. 

Edited by sunshineslave

On 5/13/2024 at 2:03 PM, genetonic said:

Does anyone know which producers were involved with these from the MKS era?

- Arrow

- Bye Bye

- Calling Out For You

- Fall From Grace

- Take The Wheel

- Why did the Lights Come On

You can find it on this genius page for the MKS era. If you click on the arrow next to the title you can see the credit, they are also available along with the lyrics if you click the song title. All those you listed are here except for Take the wheel (unless it's listed under another title).

About the upcoming album, Popjustice has a list of producers they've been working with since 2019 :
1. MNEK
2. Craigie Dodds
3. Aston Rudi
4. LOXE
5. Kabba
6. Future Cut
7. Dan Caplen
8. Iain James
9. George Moore
10. Pharell

Not confirmed if it actually happened but they said before COVID that they had session planned with :
11. Dev Haynes
12. Madeon

Plus they said multiple times in interviews that they wanted to work with Burna Boy and Calvin Harrys adding that no one they asked has refused to collaborate with them. That plus the fact that Harrys has been a fan since One Touch, it would be really silly if it didn't happen just because they didn't ask. 

On 5/11/2024 at 5:56 PM, sunshineslave said:

I don't think Push the Button or Overload are going anywhere to be honest. They are two of their signature songs and most popular for both 1.0 and 2.0 lineups. I can see About you now coming and going because it's a 3.0 song, the rest of the biggest hits are probably going to stay. The best option for now is that some of the biggest song are stacked into a medley so they can have more time for other stuff. Otherwise we can only hope for them to make new hits so the older one are not as mandatory as they are now to attract the general public. 

That being said, new music seems to be coming soon😍😝

https://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news/24309241.sugababes-bring-bops-nocturne-blenheim-palace/

They've mentioned some of the same informations in another interview with Keisha using the S word again so it at least means that they have a body of work that they're confortable with. 

With lots of big shows coming including Glastonbury, a new single soon and premiering other songs live would be the best opportunity to get people exited for what's coming. 

Finishing stages of an album? :orly: This music is coming soon soon!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been seeing them in concerts for 2 years now. It is insane how much I am craving their albums.
I was surprised that for their current summer tour they are cutting even more "newer" material in favour of older songs. 
Having said that, I got to hear Shape live which I thought I never would have and didn't realise how much I wanted it. 

It made me wonder if for the next release we are going to get A LOT more revisited song with the original line-up.

Imagine Angels with dirty faces (The MKS version) and so on. On vinyl. Plus a new song here and there.

• Shook 1

On 5/30/2024 at 8:53 AM, picciottino said:

I've been seeing them in concerts for 2 years now. It is insane how much I am craving their albums.
I was surprised that for their current summer tour they are cutting even more "newer" material in favour of older songs. 
Having said that, I got to hear Shape live which I thought I never would have and didn't realise how much I wanted it. 

It made me wonder if for the next release we are going to get A LOT more revisited song with the original line-up.

Imagine Angels with dirty faces (The MKS version) and so on. On vinyl. Plus a new song here and there.

It is my understanding they are aware “When the Rain Comes” was not as well received as they hoped it would be by the casuals they hope to attract to boost their streaming figures. This slight disappointment has had an unexpected benefit as it appears to have encouraged them to reconsider working with select producers whom 2.0/ 3.0 previously worked with during their commercial peak (though as yet there is zero solid word on whether Brian Higgins/ Xenomania are part of the picture or not).

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 1:03 PM, genetonic said:

- Arrow

- Bye Bye

- Calling Out For You

- Fall From Grace

- Take The Wheel

Arrow - Shaznay Lewis (in potential conjunction with Biffco).

Bye Bye - Katy B/ Geenius 

Fall from Grace - Katy B/ Geenius

Take The Wheel (& Drive) - Naughty Boy [Speculated]

There is no definitive word on who produced the other two, (however I suspect they are MKS co-writes with Biffco and potentially one other contributor).

Edited by Deadly Nightshade
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 10:03 PM, genetonic said:

- Arrow

- Bye Bye

- Calling Out For You

- Fall From Grace

- Take The Wheel

following onto @Deadly Nightshade's above comment - Why Did the Lights Come On is prod by Eg White

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Deadly Nightshade said:

It is my understanding they are aware “When the Rain Comes” was not as well received as they hoped it would be by the casuals they hope to attract to boost their streaming figures. This slight disappointment has had an unexpected benefit as it appears to have encouraged them to reconsider working with select producers whom 2.0/ 3.0 previously worked with during their commercial peak (though as yet there is zero solid word on whether Brian Higgins/ Xenomania are part of the picture or not).

Very interesting! Yes, "When the rain comes" was an odd choice but if that was the direction they wanted to test, it makes sense they would be reconsidering plans. However, I hope that doesn't dismiss the chance to record new material. Working with old-era producers can be good too. I don't think WTRC was dismissed. But their 2012-2013 was indeed a lot stronger.
Anyway, I want them to record record and record <3 

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 5:54 PM, Deadly Nightshade said:

Keisha said again in a recent interview that When the rain comes was released very organically right after making the song because they wanted to share the vibe. They actually were quite surprised that it was so well received. And indeed it was well received. Yes there was disappointment that they didn't release a bop, and yes, it didn't make an impact chart-wise, but it got great review and fans ended up being very supportive once the disappointment washed out. 

After all those years of recording and things being leaked before being released, I believe it was the right choice. They needed to show they were actually releasing new stuff. And that was a present to the fan, making sure they wouldn't go throught the same thing as for the MKS Era. Plus they probably need to release stuff to make sure they keep the name. 

They're also needed new stuff to perform. They obviously not gonna give full spotlight to the Lost Tapes because it's an old album that leaked a while ago. 

Siobhan said they have bops up their sleeve so I believe that when the campaign for the album starts it will start with a bang music wise and they will promote it as needed. 

That being said, I think people will support them but I don't know if a number one will happen again. But they don't need it honestly. They just need to keep releasing great music. And when they do, they need to give the new music a real spotlight in their setlist. It's great they are using their legacy to full extent but they need to keep being a relevent act in music and not just a legacy act. 

Edited by sunshineslave

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sunshineslave said:

Keisha said again in a recent interview that When the rain comes was released very organically right after making the song because they wanted to share the vibe. They actually were quite surprised that it was so well received. And indeed it was well received. Yes there was disappointment that they didn't release a bop, and yes, it didn't make an impact chart-wise, but it got great review and fans ended up being very supportive once the disappointment washed out.

I don’t agree with this statement at all. Keisha’s comment about it being a “gift to fans” was part of the promo for the track at its time of release. I’m talking about the longterm reaction to the song on various Sugababes threads on various pop forums across social media. It wasn’t even about the song being a “bop” or otherwise. As a song composition, the track is lackluster and lacking any sense of sparkle.

If Keisha really had said in a “recent” interview any statement to the contrary (and by recent I mean after the single’s actual promotion) then she is sadly wrong and trying to place a positive spin on an otherwise negatively received track and I’m sure you would have linked to the article to which you refer as being recent and therefore out with the context of the single’s promo, if it existed

It is sad that Stan culture is becoming prevalent on so many forums now that objective views are being labelled as lies by Stan’s intent on placing a false positive public relations spin on their faves activities and I say this as a longterm Sugababes fan (as opposed to a stan) who has been there since “Overload”.

Edited by Deadly Nightshade

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Deadly Nightshade said:

I don’t agree with this statement at all. Keisha’s comment about it being a “gift to fans” was part of the promo for the track at its time of release. I’m talking about the longterm reaction to the song on various Sugababes threads on various pop forums across social media. It wasn’t even about the song being a “bop” or otherwise. As a song composition, the track is lackluster and lacking any sense of sparkle.

If Keisha really had said in a “recent” interview any statement to the contrary (and by recent I mean after the single’s actual promotion) then she is sadly wrong and trying to place a positive spin on an otherwise negatively received track and I’m sure you would have linked to the article to which you refer as being recent and therefore out with the context of the single’s promo, if it existed

It is sad that Stan culture is becoming prevalent on so many forums now that objective views are being labelled as lies by Stan’s intent on placing a false positive public relations spin on their faves activities and I say this as a longterm Sugababes fan (as opposed to a stan) who has been there since “Overload”.

Well you have the right to have your own opinion and I was not trying to dismiss that. I was just giving mine.

The interview is just recent and I didn't post it to proove my point first because I didn't know I needed to justify myself, and second because it was included in such a powerful and intimate interview by Keisha about overtaking trauma that I didn't want it to be disminished by being used only to talk about the reception of the song.

Here is a transcript of the part I was referring to:

Spoiler
[...]when we
release when the rain comes last year there was no like conversation about are we going to do a single we were just in
the studio and we thought you know what this is a Vibe let's drop it when we do the O2 wow and obviously we did the O2 and it did much better than what we
actually expected we like oh this was just a Vibe we were feeling um but yeah we just want to continue number one
having fun um it's important to us 

The full interview can be seen here. I really recommend it for people who want to know about her journey with mental heath. Beware that it can be triggering :

Spoiler

Back on subject, you're obviously have every right not to believe what she says about When the rain comes. I don't believe everything the babes say is gospel and I know that they sometimes remake history. About the song, I personally think it's obvious it's not lead single material and I'de honestly be very surprised if the girls though it was going to be a hit when they released it. They know better. If so they would probably have invested in a music video to defend it or at the very least shorts videos on social medias.

As for the fan's reactions, I don't pretend I've done a great an in depth research to know how people perceived it. On buzzjack and popjustice, I've seen bad reactions at the beginning but mostly positive ones once the song had grown on people.

I'm not here to argue, just share my perspective on the subject. Now I would appreciate that you don't make accusations about my intentions. I respect your opinion and am opened to be proven wrong. But you need to respect my opinion for what it is. It's not that deep. it's just music.

Edited by sunshineslave