Sugababes

Main Pop Girl

3 hours ago, sunshineslave said:

I'm pretty sure the pitcure is from a coming video. It looks too sophisticated for just a single cover's photoshooot but I might be wrong.

I hope it's a buzz song rather than a lead single but we'll see what they say at the O2.

It definitely gives more promo single vibes than album launcher! But tbh, any new material is good material from them, and not something I'd expected.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Main Pop Girl said:

It definitely gives more promo single vibes than album launcher! But tbh, any new material is good material from them, and not something I'd expected.

Yeah. it's grown on me a lot. it's not groundbreaking (I know my expectations were too high after songs like Flatline, Overload,...) but it's really easy on the ear. I like the summery vibe of it. 😊

I hope we'll get some edgy songs, some bops and hearbreaking moments as well in this new era. Yes they did call it an ERA getting started with this song !!! 😍 What more can we ask ?

Edited by sunshineslave
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sunshineslave said:

Yeah. it's grown on me a lot. it's not groundbreaking (I know my expectations were too high after songs like Flatline, Overload,...) but it's really easy on the ear. I like the summery vibe of it. 😊

I hope we'll get some edgy songs, some bops and hearbreaking moments as well in this new era. Yes they did call it an ERA getting started with this song !!! 😍 What more can we ask ?

I just listened to the full and it’s definitely easy listening! I can see it being used in an H&M ad or something :cackle: I’m excited to hear their harmonies when they sing it live!

Interesting that they’re calling it an era too :orly: Sounds like we have more to look forward to. I hope we get a big silly radio hit next but we’ll see 😅

Any artists who work with a writing/ production collective, they have never worked with before are taking a risk as to what the final output is going to sound like and as those writers/ producers are usually paid before work commences, I see why the group would release the work they’ve already commissioned and paid for.

Ive held of giving my opinion as I really wanted to like it (and spend time with it to discover if the track is a grower), prior to commenting on it. I’ve done that now and try as I might, “When the Rain Comes” (at best) is nothing more than generic. It does not go anywhere and is nothing special.

I was never a fan of “Girls” (and “Flatline” was ironically my least favourite track from the entire MKS era, with the exception of the writers demos), but “When the Rain Comes” (for me), is not even as good as those two.

It sounds very ‘London’ and I like that they used their live band on it, but no way is this ‘first single from a new studio album by Sugababes’ material. This is no launch bomb, it plods along and it sucks.

It is not Sugababes fault their session coalesced with George Moore and Iain James on a day when those writers/ producers were feeling particularly uninspired, but I would have expected George and Iain to have better tunes ready to pull from their back pocket, knowing they had such a legendary girl group lined up to write a top-line over them.

Whilst I am disappointed in the track (and Sugababes even have some ‘B’ Sides I prefer to it), the one good thing I can say about “When the Rain Comes” is that I prefer it over and above “In the Middle”.

One track of course, does not make an album and maybe this is just a ‘taster’ track and not a full blown first single (who can say at this moment in time).

However, the way for Sugababes to really have put their collective middle fingers up to Island, Crown, Mark & Elliot Hargreaves, Sarah Stennett, Polydor, absent members of past lineups (and other sources of background toxicity) from intervening years, would have been to have worked with Dallas Austin (or someone still up to that calibre) and really have brought something to the table to launch with that ate.

”When the Rain Comes” is simply not a track that says “Sugababes are back in town, here to scalp and mean business”.

The unnecessary use of autotune (confined to the harmony sections), also detracts from proceedings.

I keep my mind open to the possibility they found the goosebump inducing magic that’s sorely missing (on this particular track), in other places on the album.

Edited by Dax Diameter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

Any artists who work with a writing/ production collective, they have never worked with before are taking a risk as to what the final output is going to sound like and as those writers/ producers are usually paid before work commences, I see why the group would release the work they’ve already commissioned and paid for.

Ive held of giving my opinion as I really wanted to like it (and spend time with it to discover if the track is a grower), prior to commenting on it. I’ve done that now and try as I might, “When the Rain Comes” (at best) is nothing more than generic. It does not go anywhere and is nothing special.

I was never a fan of “Girls” (and “Flatline” was ironically my least favourite track from the entire MKS era, with the exception of the writers demos), but “When the Rain Comes” (for me), is not even as good as those two.

It sounds very ‘London’ and I like that they used their live band on it, but no way is this ‘first single from a new studio album by Sugababes’ material. This is no launch bomb, it plods along and it sucks.

It is not Sugababes fault their session coalesced with George Moore and Iain James on a day when those writers/ producers were feeling particularly uninspired, but I would have expected George and Iain to have better tunes ready to pull from their back pocket, knowing they had such a legendary girl group lined up to write a top-line over them.

Whilst I am disappointed in the track (and Sugababes even have some ‘B’ Sides I prefer to it), the one good thing I can say about “When the Rain Comes” is that I prefer it over and above “In the Middle”.

One track of course, does not make an album and maybe this is just a ‘taster’ track and not a full blown first single (who can say at this moment in time).

However, the way for Sugababes to really have put their collective middle fingers up to Island, Crown, Mark & Elliot Hargreaves, Sarah Stennett, Polydor, absent members of past lineups (and other sources of background toxicity) from intervening years, would have been to have worked with Dallas Austin (or someone still up to that calibre) and really have brought something to the table to launch with that ate.

”When the Rain Comes” is simply not a track that says “Sugababes are back in town, here to scalp and mean business”.

The unnecessary use of autotune (confined to the harmony sections), also detracts from proceedings.

I keep my mind open to the possibility they found the goosebump inducing magic that’s sorely missing (on this particular track), in other places on the album.

I honestly don't think they'll ever get the sound back, and thats just because the days of music like Push The Button, About You Now, etc are over.. another problem is that they want to distance themselves from their past works too much, they seem to be disgraced by albums like Taller in more ways, Change, Catfights & Spotlights and of course Sweet 7, and Keisha and Mutya seem to enjoy R&B sounds more, which is a shame because (personally) those are the Sugababes albums I feel most people associate with them and listen to in recent times.. I can see them being very influenced by the likes of FLO, but I doubt we will ever get another Push The Button or Freak Like Me... This song kinda reminds me of Birthday, the comeback single by B*Witched in the sense that its very "lets do something so generic that it can't fail".. but I feel like the upcoming album will be very R&B/UK Garage led..

• Like 1

Hey everyone! I am a huge Sugababes fan and i’m so relieved to find a forum i can actually contribute to. I’ve been keeping track of that other fans are saying through PopJustice for a year i think (or even more) but it is impossible to create an account there.

I have just read all 26 pages and I am soooo stoked. A lot of tea has been spilled haha

Regarding their unreleased material: My favorite MKS track is Light Up. Does anybody know if there is a story there? Why don’t they like it? Last Year before The Lost Tapes got released i even commented on keisha’s vlogs asking if Light Up would ever be released and all she could say was she did not even remember the song. I hope she was joking lol

To keep us fed while brand new music is on the way, the girls could easily release a Lost Tapes Collector’s Edition featuring Light Up and another track 🥹 I know i’m delusional. In my dreams they haven’t released the Deluxe edition (CD & vinyl) because they will do it soon but with a couple more MKS tracks so that it helps the album chart a bit higher? 

Also I have Killer on The Run, made during the Sweet 7 sessions, in case anyone is interested. Apparently it has been leaked for years. it is super easy to find it online.

Does anybody know how/when Jade contacted any 1.0 members since they got their name back? I saw someone saying Jade is surprisingly also sending them support from afar and got curious if there is a story behind that, even if it’s small.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, OliverLuxembourg said:

Does anybody know how/when Jade contacted any 1.0 members since they got their name back? I saw someone saying Jade is surprisingly also sending them support from afar and got curious if there is a story behind that, even if it’s small.

Jade simply has zero beef with anyone in  the original lineup and they have zero beef with her (there never was any angst between them). The limited interactions she has had with them (mostly Keisha) are warm.

There were whispers after Jade’s ‘Sweet 7’ honeymoon period was over, away from the public gaze (during the 4.0 Sony album sessions), that a small friction developed between Amelle and Jade in the studio, leading to Jade perceiving Amelle in less than glowing terms that eventuated in Jade having increased empathy towards Keisha.

It was on that note (though not because of it), that 4.0 ended.

6 hours ago, OliverLuxembourg said:

It makes sense because they never bothered to follow each other on social media all these years…. I feel so sorry for Jade.

The two members who remain (and always have been) on the worst terms are Mutya and Amelle.

Both are PR savvy though - as negatively as they privately feel about the other, it’s not going to be something either of them will ever again publicly acknowledge on social media.

What people don’t realise is, that after departing from the group, Keisha underwent years of intensive psychotherapy and as part of that, her therapist actively encouraged her to reach out to Amelle to find a resolution.

This was done in good faith, so it speaks volumes that sometime after that occurred (and Keisha got the closure she sought), Amelle later felt the need to pipe up on social media and tell the world the meeting was awkward and “weird”.

Mutya respects Heidi’s work ethic and what she contributed to the group, but does not agree with the direction Heidi’s loyalties took after she (Mutya) left the group.

That is not a bridge that will ever be properly crossed or addressed until a future point when Heidi finally accepts that periodically re-signing her contract with Crown will never get her anywhere (even then a foursome is not an option).

Edited by Dax Diameter
  • Like 1