Sugababes

Main Pop Girl

On 1/10/2023 at 1:17 PM, Dax Diameter said:

Lineup politics aside, Do people not think ‘Freedom’ is a quality Bop?

humm personally I would say bop. However, in term of quality it doesn't come near the level of most singles released by the babes before Sweet 7. To me, It does sound better than any song on that album, except maybe About a girl. I like them both as generic bops but not so much as Sugababes tracks.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

I personally feel “Freedom” was a stronger lead single than either “Girls” and “Get Sexy” and if it had existed as a substitute for either of those, it would have out performed both.

I would have to say Girls beats out the other two for me, although none of those are even close to Overload, Freak Like Me, Hole in the Head, Push the Button or About You Now :yeah: 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

I personally feel “Freedom” was a stronger lead single than either “Girls” and “Get Sexy” and if it had existed as a substitute for either of those, it would have out performed both.

It is definitely stronger than Get Sexy, that I personnaly hate, and I agree that it stands out more than Girls, even if I prefer the latter. I don't live in the UK so the boots advert haven't spoilt that song for me which I think is a fun pop song, but yes one of their weakest lead singles because it's quite repetitive and not innovative like the previous ones. 

The first 3 songs of Catfight are halfway between the Spice Girls and Amy Winehouse both of which I'm an absolute fan (with obvious nods to the Jackson 5, the Supremes and the motown era in general). I just can't help but to love it, even if it doesn't feel that much Sugababes-y appart from the fabulous vocals (3.0 at their best !).

12 minutes ago, Leaving said:

I would have to say Girls beats out the other two for me, although none of those are even close to Overload, Freak Like Me, Hole in the Head, Push the Button or About You Now :yeah: 

Exactly !

Edited by sunshineslave
  • Like 1
  • Shook 1

For those who still wonder if the band's name played a role in the lack of success of Flatline then, here's a story :

In 2013, a group of friends discuss seing the girls performing Flatline on TV.

Friend 1 : "I searched Sugababes on Spotify and it says the last release is called Sweet 7. I searched for the song there but stopped after the second cause it sounded awful. "

Friend 2 : You're mistaken, the band is called MKS. Sugababes is another band now. But I tried to find them on Spotify and it didn't work.

Friend 3 : Giiiiirls, the bands name is the girls' actual name. I remember Quiche and Shivonne. You should type that on Google then you'll find out and only then you will be able to find that on Spotify.

Friend 2 : well, I still find nothing

In most similar cases people didn't bother getting past 1st mistake. :cry:

There an alternate version of the story that starts with a 4th person who tried Sugar babes and found nothing either. :cackle:

• LMAO 2

4 hours ago, sunshineslave said:

For those who still wonder if the band's name played a role in the lack of success of Flatline then, here's a story :

In 2013, a group of friends discuss seing the girls performing Flatline on TV.

Friend 1 : "I searched Sugababes on Spotify and it says the last release is called Sweet 7. I searched for the song there but stopped after the second cause it sounded awful. "

Friend 2 : You're mistaken, the band is called MKS. Sugababes is another band now. But I tried to find them on Spotify and it didn't work.

Friend 3 : Giiiiirls, the bands name is the girls' actual name. I remember Quiche and Shivonne. You should type that on Google then you'll find out and only then you will be able to find that on Spotify.

Friend 2 : well, I still find nothing

In most similar cases people didn't bother getting past 1st mistake. :cry:

There an alternate version of the story that starts with a 4th person who tried Sugar babes and found nothing either. :cackle:

Why didn't anyone suggest they look up the Sugar Lumps? :orly: 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 5:28 AM, Leaving said:

Dawn French! She's great in the Vicar of Dibley!

I don't know this. Will have to check it out. 👍

On other subject, the girls are album of the week on BBC2 with the Lost Tapes. Should get them some welcome exposure. I guess it means that Flatline might finally get it's first airplays 10 years later :orly:

• Like 1
  • YAAASSS 1

On 1/16/2023 at 9:12 PM, ashura776 said:

Did a quick mockup. We NEED physical copies of this 😥

48FCCAB8-5042-4CF3-A382-4B8C1954319B.jpeg

It looks great ! Thanx

Physical is essential and I'm sure they'll release one one day. Maybe new music is imminent and they want to release that first. The unexpected attention the Lost tapes got (like the BBC2 exposure) might change their plans, and push them to promote a bit the Lost tape before going forward with new music. Who knows ?

By the way, they are doing a performance for BBC2 piano month. Apparently they'll be doing 2 of their songs and a cover. See https://www.instagram.com/p/CneZyMdrc0m/?hl=fr

I hope they'll do 3 songs we don't have good recording of them performing in the last 10 years. A classic song and a lost tapes song would be perfect. Would love for them to do Stronger with Keisha's powered up adlibs and Siobhan would be great.

Edited by sunshineslave
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 1:49 AM, sunshineslave said:

It looks great ! Thanx

Physical is essential and I'm sure they'll release one one day. Maybe new music is imminent and they want to release that first. The unexpected attention the Lost tapes got (like the BBC2 exposure) might change their plans, and push them to promote a bit the Lost tape before going forward with new music. Who knows ?

By the way, they are doing a performance for BBC2 piano month. Apparently they'll be doing 2 of their songs and a cover. See https://www.instagram.com/p/CneZyMdrc0m/?hl=fr

I hope they'll do 3 songs we don't have good recording of them performing in the last 10 years. A classic song and a lost tapes song would be perfect. Would love for them to do Stronger with Keisha's powered up adlibs and Siobhan would be great.

Stronger, Today and Breathe Me maybe? :orly: