Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

5 hours ago, wordswithsam said:

I was actually thinking about this.

Might put together some pitches and send them to pop/music publications and see what happens.

If you do come up with a mailing list for pop/music publications, would you consider sending it my way? :orly: I'd love to know who's interested in this kind of thing!

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of another PR angle, I always think back to these Jezebel pieces. They are less than four months apart and are written by the same journalist, Kate Dries. Jezebel was the "feminist" wing of Gawker Media's news platform. The first article is very friendly and recognizes Bonnie's accomplishments behind the scenes. The second is incredibly hostile and snarky - in hindsight, the first article is very uncharacteristic of Gawker's tone, especially when it comes to celebrity.

But what I think could be interesting is reframing this as sexism and ageism in Hollywood in the music industry and pop culture media that was still so prevalent in 2013, despite us all pretending that we'd rounded a corner. I don't think it's much better today, but now that Bonnie's outside of the age range for a typical "pop star", it could be an interesting story to tell about how she was only given one song to prove her worth in a time period where the music industry metrics for success were rapidly changing and near impossible to pin down.

It would seem wild to discredit a song for peaking at #37 on the Billboard Hot 100 today, but it was a death sentence for Bonnie back then.

It might be interesting to pitch it to Kate and Bonnie for a sit-down interview to discuss Jezebel's about-face on Bonnie and the topics of sexism, ageism, and misogyny in pop culture. It looks like Kate is Executive Editor at Dwell Magazine now, so maybe they do a shoot in Bonnie's Hollywood Hills home and Bonnie can ask where Kate's mansion and multiple Billboard #1 plaques are 😅

Bonne1.jpg

Bonnie2.PNG

Edited by wordswithsam
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wordswithsam said:

In terms of another PR angle, I always think back to these Jezebel pieces. They are less than four months apart and are written by the same journalist, Kate Dries. Jezebel was the "feminist" wing of Gawker Media's news platform. The first article is very friendly and recognizes Bonnie's accomplishments behind the scenes. The second is incredibly hostile and snarky - in hindsight, the first article is very uncharacteristic of Gawker's tone, especially when it comes to celebrity.

But what I think could be interesting is reframing this as sexism and ageism in Hollywood in the music industry and pop culture media that was still so prevalent in 2013, despite us all pretending that we'd rounded a corner. I don't think it's much better today, but now that Bonnie's outside of the age range for a typical "pop star", it could be an interesting story to tell about how she was only given one song to prove her worth in a time period where the music industry metrics for success were rapidly changing and near impossible to pin down.

It would seem wild to discredit a song for peaking at #37 on the Billboard Hot 100 today, but it was a death sentence for Bonnie back then.

It might be interesting to pitch it to Kate and Bonnie for a sit-down interview to discuss Jezebel's about-face on Bonnie and the topics of sexism, ageism, and misogyny in pop culture. It looks like Kate is Executive Editor at Dwell Magazine now, so maybe they do a shoot in Bonnie's Hollywood Hills home and Bonnie can ask where Kate's mansion and multiple Billboard #1 plaques are 😅

Bonne1.jpg

Bonnie2.PNG

I just want you to know as a fellow bonbon, that I really appreciate the level of thought, scope and considered insight you are giving this.

Additionally, I would like to give everyone a very timely reminder that we are the audience for these platforms!

if we have any kind of issue with the tone or angle of the launch and subsequent album roll-out, we absolutely have the means at our disposal in 2023 to make it very clear to any media platforms in real-time, that we will boycott them in future unless they sharply adjust their angle/ tone and instead adopt one of positivity.

It’s worth pointing out that sometimes online articles get re-written and framed more positively, prior to physical publication if initial online feedback regarding a journalists writing is deemed to be sloppy, overtly negative or prejudicial.

• Love 1

I absolutely love Bonnie’s look, however having lived through painful situations where talented females have missed the mark with their look (with damaging long term consequences to their careers as a result) - and in order to prevent this being a weakness for Bonnie, with the specific intention of getting straight females on-side, I feel Bonnie needs to adopt a softer, more flowery, ‘hippie’ style look (possibly ‘boho chic’, 70’s inspired) with less emphasis on flesh flashing. Also, vintage ‘T’ Shirts with logo, fluffy pastel colored cardigans paired with denims, heels and a little understated ‘bling’ are fine!

There is nothing inclined to alienate straight females more (and therefore a complete demographic), than flesh exposure!  The angle I believe Bonnie needs to adopt is that of being a “woman’s woman” and not a “man’s woman”. (The ‘She-Ra’ superhero look for the video is totally fine, would totally work for P.A’s in gay clubs and is clearly ‘show’ clothes).

External of that video persona (and image wise generally), being a “man’s woman” in music, never ends well!

Edited by Dax Diameter

1 hour ago, Dax Diameter said:

I absolutely love Bonnie’s look, however having lived through painful situations where talented females have missed the mark with their look (with damaging long term consequences to their careers as a result) - and in order to prevent this being a weakness for Bonnie, with the specific intention of getting straight females on-side, I feel Bonnie needs to adopt a softer, more flowery, ‘hippie’ style look (possibly ‘boho chic’, 70’s inspired) with less emphasis on flesh flashing. Also, vintage ‘T’ Shirts with logo, fluffy pastel colored cardigans paired with denims, heels and a little understated ‘bling’ are fine!

There is nothing inclined to alienate straight females more (and therefore a complete demographic), than flesh exposure!  The angle I believe Bonnie needs to adopt is that of being a “woman’s woman” and not a “man’s woman”. (The ‘She-Ra’ superhero look for the video is totally fine, would totally work for P.A’s in gay clubs and is clearly ‘show’ clothes).

External of that video persona (and image wise generally), being a “man’s woman” in music, never ends well!

I think that gay men shouldn't comment on women's appearances... thought y'all liked men

• Like 4
  • YAAASSS 2

18 hours ago, izzzyyy said:

I think that gay men shouldn't comment on women's appearances... thought y'all liked men

Haven't you got something to watch on Fox News? I think my past defense of Mutya Buena speaks for itself. Marketing has zero to do with sexual attraction. Pop music is a business and my comment was on clothes styling and visual marketing in context of maximising demographic appeal (and most styling in the music industry is curated and assembled by gay guys for a reason). When styling is left to straight people, this is what happens:

Edited by Dax Diameter

20 minutes ago, Ice Prince said:

Not this discussion over how a woman looks on the 500th page please... Bonnie looks fantastic and she can pull ANY look she likes. She's been making bop after bop after bop (we're witness of that) and the artwork is so stunning so what's the matter. If anything, I wish we could have an album booklet with like 50 different looks or something, her visual artistry is unbeatable.

You are missing the point completely. Stylists get paid a lot of money for a reason!

Product
Place
Price
Promotion

Don’t ever try and get a job in marketing 😂

Edited by Dax Diameter
  • LMAO 1

2 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

I don’t remember Britney or Christina alienating a female fan base using “flesh exposure”?

• Like 2

• Cypher changed the title to Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)