Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, zaynphallic said:

She's said many times that she had the entire album "ready to go" before she left Epic. Whether or not she landed on a title or finalized the artwork is another story. I remember back in the day she did an interview saying she had a title in mind but she wasn't sure. I wouldn't be surprised if it was "Don't Get Mad, Get Famous" as that was sort of her mantra and goal at the time.

https://www.idolator.com/7598858/bonnie-mckee-interview-bombastic-ep?chrome=1

I found the article, they kept telling her to go back and write more. So she might have had an album she felt was ready, but Epic did not agree.

"I had a whole album finished and had plenty of songs I felt were singles, but I was told to go back and keep writing.."

Bonnie really struggled with writer's block and Don't Get Mad and it's very evident. Even now she calls it a shit-show 😭 But yeah maybe! I assume that, or 'American Girl.' (I think Epic would've pushed for this.) 

-

11 hours ago, zaynphallic said:

I said this a few pages back, but I really think that if (and it's a BIG IF) the album comes out, she should just call it "American Girl". Even though that song won't be on the album, it's the title that everybody associates that era with, and at least if people search "Bonnie McKee American Girl" in future it'll come up. It would be a nice way to finally close that chapter and move on.

Def agree! I'm not sure if she can, though. Epic might own the trademark for 'American Girl' and 'Bonnie McKee' together. If she is really going with fan opinions, 'Electric Heaven' is by far the most popular. It packs a nice punch.

8 hours ago, cocomong said:

If she chooses to name i after a song on the album i think Forever 21 is THE song it should be named after. It perfectly captures the whole entire feeling of the record and perfect visual of it all. To me personally it kinda just makes sense & rolls off the tongue. Unlike say idk Hot City or SLAY. The only thing that would be conflicting would be the store forever 21???

Yeah, it might not turn out well with the store. We don't need another Speak Now Taylor's Version situation, Bonnie has had enough lawsuits. 😭 

Edited by izzzyyy

25 minutes ago, reflection said:

I think the song show me is show me your love. even though she doesnt say the title in the song it might still make sense with the theme. the file is from 2014 and it has the same writers as a load of other epic songs (Joakim Åhlund + Johnny Newman)

I thought the same thing. In that 90 second clip that leaked (which is obviously a very rough demo) it almost sounds like she's saying "Show Me Your Love" at 1:07. (She's actually saying "Show me... hello" lol, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a rough demo and it was reworked).

4 minutes ago, zaynphallic said:

I thought the same thing. In that 90 second clip that leaked (which is obviously a very rough demo) it almost sounds like she's saying "Show Me Your Love" at 1:07. (She's actually saying "Show me... hello" lol, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a rough demo and it was reworked).

Where ? Link

I love how we're all so passionate about naming the album :yeah: 

Personally, seeing how the album was, at one point, going to be a proper follow-up to "Trouble" (which was not only titled so because of the song, but it also referenced how certain people irl would refer to her as trouble and a bad influence) -- I always thought a simple (not too wordy) title that relates to something in her personal life would be the way to go. Let's not forget it doesn't have to be named after any of the songs on the album, but if we're going solely by the album tracks any of the following would do (imo):

• American Girl (a favorite of mine--yes, the song probably won't be on it but it did define the era and had the album been released in 2014 it would have included AG, also "I was raised by a televison," and "I wanna buy a new heart out of a vending machine" are iconic and legendary)
  • Forever 21 (love the concept and it's giving very much the personality of the Epic era)
  • Wild Card (in line with the Trouble bad girl motif running through her work in general)
  • Electric Heaven (I'm not crazy about the song going by the rough demo leak, but it does evoke some very interesting imagery and visuals which I like)

Never been a fan of Somebody's Gonna Get Hurt or Waking Up Diagonal as far as the album title is concerned... Don't Get Mad, Get Famous I could live with, but I'd still prefer something more concise. 

Outside of the album tracks, I was thinking about some interesting phrases she used in some of the songs and I got Electric Hearts, A Rebel in the Dark, Cherry Bomb, Stolen Cars & Broken Hearts, Dreaming in Technicolor... Technicolor Dreams (unlikely due to its similarity to Teenage Dream so maybe Technicolor Pop?? 💀)

On 9/10/2022 at 2:41 AM, BraveNewSeth said:

I’ve already decided I’m gonna take the Epic songs she released and just add them to my version of the album. The title FTV is tacky when this entire album was, at one time, a complete album with a unique title. 

Spot on, I'm thinking I'll be doing the same thing. :yaskween:

On 9/10/2022 at 5:54 AM, Lucas M said:

I respect the opinion of everyone, and a few people here expressed that they think Bonnie should name the album “American Girl” as a sort of clickbait strategy. I, on the other side, don’t like this idea and I feel that this album is epic and so much bigger than American Girl, which was released almost a decade ago and won’t be on the tracklist. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions and this is mine. I loved American Girl the minute I first heard it in 2013, specially the relatable but still authentic lyrics, but I seriously don’t get all the nostalgia. Bombastic was even better imo, and she has a lot of tracks on this album that are so much bigger than American girl. All this for a few more streams? This album is gold, it has a lot of potential, and even if it doesn’t top the charts, the music will stay and go on for eternity because of its quality. So i think the naming of it should be handled with the class it deserves. The moment is now, she is releasing more pop perfection bops than the whole industry did the last years. Maybe “forever 21”, “fake it till you make it”, idk. Maybe “Epic”? Lol

It's funny you mentioned "Epic" (in a half-joking way) because I've been thinking it'd be funny if she just called it that. The music is EPIC, and it also connects it with the label that helped to finance it (and that is responsible for the numerous delays lol).

On 9/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, cocomong said:

If she chooses to name i after a song on the album i think Forever 21 is THE song it should be named after. It perfectly captures the whole entire feeling of the record and perfect visual of it all. To me personally it kinda just makes sense & rolls off the tongue. Unlike say idk Hot City or SLAY. The only thing that would be conflicting would be the store forever 21???

Yeah, I agree. I wonder if she has all the legalities of using the names of these brands sorted out so she won't get hit by lawsuits left and right. She's also referencing Chevrolet in Hot City, as well as Malibu and Sprite in Forever 21.

Edited by Bambi101
  • Like 2

• Cypher changed the title to Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)