Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know enough about the music industry to know how publishing works, but random thing I noticed / thought of...

Two of Dr. L*ke's publishing companies ("Prescription Songs" and "Where Da Kasz At") own publishing rights to S.L.A.Y. I wonder if he found out Bonnie was planning to release it and is trying to block the release? She's low-key dragged him in a few recent-ish podcasts saying she "made a deal with the devil", etc. Obviously they are not on good terms.

slay.jpg

• Like 1

At this point we're so starved as far as official releases go that I'd take literally anything. I mean, all of us BonBons have had to master the fine intricacies of living in a world where Bonnie puts out 1x official single per year, and the leaks are definitely helping me cope and maintain some sort of mental balance.... but the way she legit retired after Lovely (which wasn't even original material, but a random cover)??? I know we got the LVCRFT songs, Bad Flops Go to Hell, and Kick Your Flops Off (From Epic) but those were literally just an alternative way for her to get coin and none of the songs were an era the way Bombastic was. Even Thorns was a bigger moment than all of the recent songs combined.

One thing is for sure, I gotta hand it to Warner--they really go the extra mile to make sure the posterity never forgets about Trouble. You could probably go to an isolated monastery somewhere in the mountains of Tibet and you'd find a copy of Trouble perched at the alter. And I love the fact she hates it, yet it's the first thing that search engines everywhere return when you look up her music. This is what you get when you don't know how to play the game.  

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Bambi101 said:

One thing is for sure, I gotta hand it to Warner--they really go the extra mile to make sure the posterity never forgets about Trouble. You could probably go to an isolated monastery somewhere in the mountains of Tibet and you'd find a copy of Trouble perched at the alter. And I love the fact she hates it, yet it's the first thing that search engines everywhere return when you look up her music. This is what you get when you don't know how to play the game.  

I don't get the hate for Trouble tbh. I get it, she probably gets reminded of the things that caused trauma* for her, but not only it's her debut album, but also her best! :yaskween:

Spoiler

And from all the ep's we got, Bombastic remains her best

*-what if the trauma is actually her releasing a body of work?

Edited by low kii savage
  • LMAO 1

57 minutes ago, low kii savage said:

I don't get the hate for Trouble tbh. I get it, she probably gets reminded of the things that caused trauma* for her, but not only it's her debut album, but also her best! :yaskween:

Hide contents

And from all the ep's we got, Bombastic remains her best

*-what if the trauma is actually her releasing a body of work?

Lmao 🤣

I don't hate the album as a body of work per se, I just think it's ridiculous those songs are everywhere, yet the music she made throughout 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 is rotting on a dusty hard-drive thus creating this awkward gap in her discography with nothing documenting her evolution. If she'd released Trouble (2004) then the 'Teenage Heart' (2009) record AND followed it up with the Epic album (2014) you'd have a nice succession of records with 5 year breaks inbetween each clearly demonstrating a progression of her style and sound towards bubblegum pop. The way things are now just makes her look very schizophrenic as an artist.... like, say I'm a new fan and I love American Girl or Mad Mad World--wanting more of that sound, I go on Apple Music only to find an album full of acoustic ballads about teenage heartbreak. Then a random 4-track EP from 2015 that, once again, sounds a bit disconnected from the rest of her releases. I wonder if the state of her discography is another reason for her lack of success. Imagine if Carly Rae Jepsen only had Tug of War (2008) to her name, then Call Me Maybe - Single, and the rest of her discography was never released (but leaked all over the Internet). 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bambi101 said:

Lmao 🤣

I don't hate the album as a body of work per se, I just think it's ridiculous those songs are everywhere, yet the music she made throughout 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 is rotting on a dusty hard-drive thus creating this awkward gap in her discography with nothing documenting her evolution. If she'd released Trouble (2004) then the 'Teenage Heart' (2009) record AND followed it up with the Epic album (2014) you'd have a nice succession of records with 5 year breaks inbetween each clearly demonstrating a progression of her style and sound towards bubblegum pop. The way things are now just makes her look very schizophrenic as an artist.... like, say I'm a new fan and I love American Girl or Mad Mad World--wanting more of that sound, I go on Apple Music only to find an album full of acoustic ballads about teenage heartbreak. Then a random 4-track EP from 2015 that, once again, sounds a bit disconnected from the rest of her releases. I wonder if the state of her discography is another reason for her lack of success. Imagine if Carly Rae Jepsen only had Tug of War (2008) to her name, then Call Me Maybe - Single, and the rest of her discography was never released (but leaked all over the Internet). 

Exactly! I guess that is a big fat factor.

And the Carly example is the perfect way to picture it. It also reminded me my intention of getting into Carly's music :yaskween: 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Ice Prince said:

Exactly! I guess that is a big fat factor.

And the Carly example is the perfect way to picture it. It also reminded me my intention of getting into Carly's music :yaskween: 

Thank you!!!😊 There are so many parallels between Bonnie and Carly's music careers, Bonnie's is like the bad ending in a video game unfortunately:cackle: And you'd love Carly's oeuvre! Especially Emotions and Julien:hail:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, cocomong said:

Does anyone know if hot city (final) has the guitar solo bridge that she performed live?

I was told that it sounds pretty much the same as the one we have now, but I haven’t been able to listen to it yet to confirm. I really do hope there’s something extra in the final version, the one we have now is a bit… drab. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BraveNewSeth said:

I was told that it sounds pretty much the same as the one we have now, but I haven’t been able to listen to it yet to confirm. I really do hope there’s something extra in the final version, the one we have now is a bit… drab. 

It's a rough demo which is probably why. It sounds more mixed in the final.

57 minutes ago, zaynphallic said:

So we're all pretty much in agreement that "Forever 21" would have been the third single after "S.L.A.Y." back in the day, right? What an absolute ANTHEM of a song. :yaskween: 

In an ideal world, absolutely!

I think Epic would've been pushing for I Wanna Call You though. Also, Everything But You being a Max Martin song makes me think that would've definitely been another strong contender. Forever 21 is the correct choice imo. :morning:

• Like 2

• Cypher changed the title to Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)