Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, lukeluke said:

Is it really unlikely that American Girl will be in the album? Just because it's been too long since its release or some Epic shit? I was hoping that "clearing the legal stuff" would include AG, cause it's the main song of this album's atmosphere.

I also can't imagine the album without Hit Me Up and Waking Up Diagonal. Is it really too delusional to expect that these two could be included? HMU on Jem's Soundtrack has only 1 million streams on Spotify. Has there ever been a case in which the singer/songwriter released their original version of a song AFTER it had already been released by another performer?

The reason must be she doesn't own the rights to American Girl AND it has been officially released. It's completely different from the case of SLAY, IWFCY, HC, EH and the others because those others remain unreleased, while American Girl has been out there for roughly a decade. I definitely doubt Epic will let her include AG in the album, or even re-record it à la Taylor Swift.

16 minutes ago, reflection said:

Taylor swift better man & babe. bonnie did it in a way with billie eilish and nobody batted an eye let alone a way less relevant song that she wrote herself

Er, Bonnie did not write Lovely tho. It was just a cover. As for Taylor, yeah, she penned both Better Man and Babe but then the songs were scrapped and passed to other singers, but with Billie Eilish's Lovely, Bonnie had nothing to do with the songwriting. That was just for April Fool's iirc.

2 minutes ago, BraveNewSeth said:

I really, really hope Waking Up Diagonal is on the album if/when she releases it. We all know how much she loves it and it fits the album perfectly. This is a long shot tho, and more wishful thinking than anything 😭

But as much as I love Hit Me Up, it doesn’t really fit the album sonically imo. 

imo Hit Me Up fits the album perfectly but as it was released by Stefanie Scott I doubt Bonnie would be able to release it herself. @lukeluke same goes for Waking Up Diagonal btw.

• Like 4

I hate to be a wet blanket, but if Bonnie has had this much trouble acquiring the rights to release "S.L.A.Y." (her own damn song that was never even released to begin with), there's no way she's going to put out songs like "Hit Me Up" or "Waking Up Diagonal" that were already commercially released by other artists (not like this album is ever coming out anyway).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ice Prince said:

Er, Bonnie did not write Lovely tho. It was just a cover. As for Taylor, yeah, she penned both Better Man and Babe but then the songs were scrapped and passed to other singers, but with Billie Eilish's Lovely, Bonnie had nothing to do with the songwriting. That was just for April Fool's iirc.

I know 😭 in every other sense though. point was more if she could do it with songs she had no involvement in then I dont see why she cant reclaim her own song

• Like 2

She should just slap Dirty Laundry, Die Happy and 4 other brand new songs (from the 2015-2018 frame that she FOR SURE has) to the platforms as an EP while all this legal shit clears out.

Trust me, Bonnie, we will NOT disappear if your next release is not from the Epic sessions.

Edited by Ice Prince
syntax lol
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lukeluke said:

Is it really unlikely that American Girl will be in the album? Just because it's been too long since its release or some Epic shit? I was hoping that "clearing the legal stuff" would include AG, cause it's the main song of this album's atmosphere.

I also can't imagine the album without Hit Me Up and Waking Up Diagonal. Is it really too delusional to expect that these two could be included? HMU on Jem's Soundtrack has only 1 million streams on Spotify. Has there ever been a case in which the singer/songwriter released their original version of a song AFTER it had already been released by another performer?

She is not including American Girl; she confirmed on TikTok. The legal stuff is that they need to clear her masters for release. She was talking about Waking Up Diagonal on a Podcast last week as if it died. I love both songs, but she is definitely not including either. And quite frankly, there is no reason for her to. That's how she operates, there might be a new trend for artists to re-record songs they wrote, but to her, WUD died the day it was released by Cheryl. It's a psychological thing. It didn't get to be her song in the first place.

Edited by izzzyyy
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, reflection said:

if were really getting everything, waking up diagonal and hit me up would be great. I would suppose maybe either droplet singles or like a separate bonus disc like Taylor did with (Bonnie's Version). american girl re-recorded would be insane to experience

We are not getting everything 

according to wikipedia (not the most reliable source but something) the general industry standard in major label contracts is that artists can't re-record their own songs for 5 years after the release and 3 years after the contract termination. its right that its something bonnie would have to confirm herself but if anyone else was interested in a general idea like me. no idea if it applies to songs other artists released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-recording_(music)#Music_copyright

Edited by reflection
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, reflection said:

according to wikipedia (not the most reliable source but something) the general industry standard in major label contracts is that artists can't re-record their own songs for 5 years after the release and 3 years after the contract termination. its right that its something bonnie would have to confirm herself but if anyone else was interested in a general idea like me. no idea if it applies to songs other artists released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-recording_(music)#Music_copyright

I think it depends on the deal you sign; I know of artist who've had to wait almost ten-years before songs were cleared to be re-recorded, etc.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ice Prince said:

Not Bonnie McScheme lol, I misread it as Bonnie McScam :cackle: 

:cackle: McScam is highkey more accurate at this point :morning:

1 hour ago, lukeluke said:

I believe she said (in a response to a comment left by a fan) that AG most likely won't be on it. It's no big deal though, completionists like us can just add it to the album in iTunes or make our own playlist with AG on it. I'd prefer for it to be on the record by default myself, but not at the cost of having to wait longer for someone somewhere to clear American Girl for her as well. 

As for Hit Me Up and Waking Up Diagonal... I'm not a legal expert and I still find the whole re-releasing already released songs territory quite confusing, but imo, she could easily include them by pulling a Taylor Swift--i.e. re-record them/have them reproduced, then slap (Bonnie's Version) after the title, done.

The only recent instances I can think of are Avril Lavigne's I Will Be and Breakaway. It's definitely not unheard of though: Joan Jett's Cherry Bomb was originally sung by The Runaways lead singer Cherie Currie, and Jett later recorded her own version which she released while she was in Joan Jett & the Blackhearts. Then, Carole King's (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman was first released by Aretha Franklin in 1967, and King included her original version of the song on the 1971 Tapestry album.

Something similar also happened with the Alexandra Burke song Tonight which, for some odd reason, was released a year later by Romanian singer Inna (who got away with it by making it seem like she just sampled the song when in actuality it's literally the exact same song).

I'm sure there are loopholes and all sorts of tricks she could employ if she really wanted to have HMU and WUD on the album from treating her versions as covers and/or samples.

• Like 4

She said on TikTok that American Girl can’t be on the album because it was released by the label. When her lawyer negotiated to get her the rights for her old masters, I guess it probably didn’t include AG because it was already released. It is on steaming plataforma though, so it is already part of her discography. It’s not like it is a leaked song that only we and a few more people who downloaded it listen to. When it comes to HMU and WUD, it is sad that they won’t be on the album. But I guess she’s always had to deal with giving away great songs. And we have enough great songs from the Epic sessions that make up an epic album.

Edited by Lucas M
  • Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 5:06 AM, Bambi101 said:

Honestly Stefanie is a fool for thinking she could do a better job than Bonnie. Bonnie's Hit Me Up is clearly the definitive version and we shan't acknowledge the flop cover. 

All I can think about when HMU is mentioned it makes me giggle

• Like 2

• Cypher changed the title to Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)