Introducing PHF'S Next Top Cover Designer!

Tyra Banks

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the results are in! Our guest judge this week is @Cypher, who's known for his unpredictable and unique style of judging. I was honestly very impressed with most of the covers this week which made it hard to choose a winner, but he's really made it easy!

Destiny's Child - @Honeymoon

Spoiler

@Countess: I love the oldschool vibe of this which you nailed with the logo and colours! I’m not sure the autograph idea worked out too well though, I think it may have worked better if you’d used their real signatures rather than that font - I think it makes the whole thing look a little cheap. The colouring on the photo is kind of stale looking as well, I wish you’d bumped it up a little bit to give the cover that pop it needs. 6/10

@Cypher: The 90s look is great and definitely shows through with the photo, however, the text does not match the gradient look. The addition of the autographs is a great attention to detail which helps push the score up higher than what it was going to be. 7/10

Total: 13/20

Fifth Harmony - @Tweener

Spoiler

@Countess: Marking this cover down because you put Camila in the middle. :morning: Honestly, I think this is okay but it’s a little plain for my tastes. I think in real life with the metallic gold border it could work a lot better but I don’t think that really came across in the cover - maybe if you’d used a gradient for the background instead of just the block colour? It really annoys me that the text isn’t placed in the middle of the border too. :stretcher:6/10 

@Cypher: The simplicity of this cover works to its advantage, especially considering all the clothes the girls are wearing. It's a great contrast of colour that is appealing to the eye. I would, however, note that the usage of solid brown seems like a wasted opportunity. The brown could transition into a slightly gold tint and that would add a great appeal to the cover. A point was docked because there felt like an overweight of black hair on the cover. If the girls were alternating hair colour, it would help take the strain off the impact. 7/10

G.R.L. - @24/7

Spoiler

@Countess:  I honestly didn't even spot that this was G.R.L. when you posted it and I thought you'd mistaken them for a completely different band. :stretcher: They look so different! I think this cover's pretty good, I'm just not sure about the text - it looks a bit garish next to all the bright colours already in the cover. I almost wish the text had just taken up the grey texture down the bottom and wasn't extended over the figures at all. 7/10

@Cypher: This cover screams Coverlandia. The font, texture, colour gradient and saturation are a bit much to take in all at once. It would've been great to see a different font used as it takes away from the general aesthetic of the cover as it seems to clash. 6/10

Girls Aloud - @Jump Rope

Spoiler

@Countess: This cover just suits the vibe of the song so perfectly, it really works well! I love the text choices and colours you’ve used as well, they make it look really authentic My only complaint would be the positioning of the girls - I feel like Nicola is cut off quite a bit and it might have looked better if you'd zoomed out a bit and kept some of the negative space in there. 7/10

@Cypher: This cover had potential but falls flat. My first impression of the cover was "What's the title of the song or album? There's just a lot going on." The addition of lyrics underneath the title threw me off and made me think it was an actual magazine spread rather than a song cover. It also irks me that the font of the band and the font of the title don't quite match up. 5/10

Total: 12/20

Girls Generation @asexualguy

Spoiler

@Countess: I think the concept of your cover is cute, but it's missing the finishing touches that would make it look professional. :( It all seems to start with the image itself - it's pretty LQ, it looks like they're all pretty badly cut out from the background and I don't like that you can see snippets of the other girls in each row. I'm not a fan of this one, sorry boo. :'( 5/10

@Cypher: I got real confused looking at this cover. I'm not sure what to think because it's quite literally just three photos stacked on top of each other with a logo. Looks like this could be a good calendar cover though. 1/10

Total: 6/20

Little Mix - @Woodcrest

Spoiler

@Countess: Idk why you thought we wouldn't like the textless cover, I think it works really well and looks much less jumbled than the other which can only be a good thing! I think this is super well done, especially when you compare it to the original photo - your retouching of their skin and the shadows is amazingly well done, you have to teach me how you do it sometime. ;) I really love the colours in the background too! 9/10

@Cypher: A great cover that could easily fit in with Little Mix's catalogue. The paint effect that's used under the text is a great addition and helps match the blotch covering the man's face. It helps make the white circle less abrasive to look at. 8/10

Total: 17/20

The Pussycat Dolls - @Higher

Spoiler

@Countess: I love both of these but the borderless one is I think my favourite! I feel like your hair cutting is always a little dodgy (especially on Kim in this photo) but it always adds to the textured and hazy kind of vibe the cover has so I’m not even mad at it. It’s a really nice, classy and effortless looking cover. 8.5/10

@Cypher: The direction taken for this cover seems underwhelming. While the vintage feel is evident, as applied with the greyscale, I'm left just as bored as the girls look in the photoshoot. This cover is missing that spark/attention grabber. 3/10

Total: 11.5/20

Spice Girls - @Zach

Spoiler

@Countess: I’m in love with this, you really nailed the fun and cheesy 90s vibe so well and I think this is the funnest cover we’ve seen so far in the competition! It’s pretty simple but the white background works and makes it look super official. Great work on this one! 8/10

@Cypher: Keeping true to their roots, this cover is simple and yet effective. The placement of "GIRLS" felt weird at first, but then having the SpiceWorld logo in the opposing corner helped balance out the cover. Not a whole lot to critique, but the simplicity transcends. 8/10

Total: 16/20

The Supremes - @wildthings

Spoiler

@Countess: This is so great, I really like it! I do think that the pic is just a liiiittle bit too LQ but because it's for an older group it kind of works anyway. The signatures and text placement are all positioned really well, and you did a great job on the colouring - both photos look really natural which is hard to do! Great work! 8.5/10

@Cypher: The text used on this cover is quite possible the perfect fit given the era this could've been released. While the designer mentioned being unable to get a good quality photo, I felt the quality is perfect and could easily be a vinyl in any fan's collection. 7/10

Total: 15.5/20

It's no surprise to anyone that @Woodcrest is the winner - congratulations boo, you earned this one! You're also the first person to break a score of 50 on the leaderboard which is super impressive. Unfortunately, due to the tie last week there will be two people eliminated this week. The first is @asexualguy. I normally love this bae's covers but unfortunately during this competition they seem to have struggled a bit with their designs. The other elimination is @24/7. It's sad that this contestant got off to a shaky start because I think their latest covers have shown a lot of improvement over their older week and I'd love to see where they go next!

Please join us in saying good bye to our lovely contestants - it was a pleasure to have you on the show! Stay tuned for next weeks options in a few hours time!

Thank you all for joining us for round four of our competition! Things are really starting to heat up and the competition is getting harder and harder - as will all of our contestants when they see the artist list for this week. Rejoice, homosexuals - this week's theme is male singers! There hasn't been enough male singers included in any of our themes so far so in the interests of #meninism we're evening the odds. There are seven choices for our seven contestants, and as per usual they will be chosen by last week's winner @Woodcrest.

• Calvin Harris
  • Drake
  • Josef Salvat
  • Justin Bieber
  • Kanye West
  • Major Lazer
  • Zayn Malik

You have five days to complete this task so get moving! As per usual, if you have any questions, ideas or comments, feel free to PM me with your thoughts.

e22aefab3cc9ce5d_bOcG5.xxxlarge.gif 

Archived