Introducing PHF'S Next Top Cover Designer!

Tyra Banks

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back once again to PHFNTCD! We're in the third last week of the competition, and things are really getting exciting with our covers this week focusing on bands. Everyone's favourite f(r)iend @PrettyBitch is our guest judge this week, which means that there'll be drags, reads, kii kiis and likely a few tears as they bring their signature brand of humour to the competition. Check out the results below and see after the jump for the final results!

@wildthings - No Doubt

Spoiler

@Countess: This isn't one of your better covers, but it's not too bad given you made it in a rush. I normally love that you make multiple versions of all your covers, but honestly I think eight is a bit much - it makes it seem a bit unfinished and it took me a while to find which one I thought was the best. :stretcher: Ultimately I settled on the sixth because I find the outline too sharp and most of the fonts a little too camouflaged. I'm not sure if I like the overall style for an album release, but I do think it could work well for a remix album of some kind! 6.5/10

@PrettyBitch: Oh my... what to say. Everything except the flowers and font were made by you? I suppose that means all you did was splice images together and cut her out, then make it look like a smoker ruined the cover? And I also suppose Gwen Stefani's picture came shooting out of your mancunt, which is where this cover looks like it's from. #HowToLoseFriendsAndAlienatePeople 4.5/10 

Total: 11/20

@Jump Rope - The Beatles

Spoiler

@Countess: This cover's a little messy, and I can't quite tell what parts of it are messy because you got lazy and what parts are messy because it's meant to look official and fit the era. :flush: For example, the embroidered roses look weirdly stretched and cut out and the font is so cheesy, but given that it's such an old song and such a weird and psychedelic cover I think it works anyway? Whether it was intentional or not I think you pulled it off and I could definitely see this as an official cover! 7/10

@PrettyBitch: I'm really elated and proud to be the one to tell you (shoutout to @Countess for letting me be the one to humiliate you <3 ) that your cover taught me something. It taught me that it is possible for a person's failure to achieve even basic-bitch status can be present and immortalized in their art. A cover for Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds should have a really interesting synesthetic-vibe for it's LSD references (even if they have been denied). Something more like @Woodcrest's. Because I've seen better things done in Microsoft Paint: 1.666/10

Total: 9/20

@Woodcrest - Coldplay

Spoiler

@Countess: I feel like I always give you the exact same comments every week, but I honestly think you're so consistently good with your covers that I never have anything else to say. :stretcher: Your use of colours is once again spot on and I think the negative space up the top of the cover actually works really well! My only minor issue is that I think that some of the elements look a little pixelated or sharp - I'm not sure if it's just the resolution of the photograph or something to do with the outline, but it could probably be fixed pretty easy. Good work boo. <3  7.5/10

@PrettyBitch: This is what @Jump Rope's cover should have been, and it's just as fitting for this song. Though I do hope you didn't actually crack out on LSD to make this, but that would explain a lot of the things I've seen you say... No real criticism here, but some of the popart placement seems awkward enough to make my OCD senses tingle - AKA become active in my ceremonial position as an agent of Satan and sacrifice you. 7.5/10

Total: 15/20

@Zach - The Pretty Reckless

Spoiler

@Countess: Last week I said that I wanted you to up your game a bit when it comes to some more heavier editing, and I feel like you've really taken my feedback on board this week! :hail: You haven't gone totally overboard with the edits but you've definitely done more than usual and it's really paid off imo. :hail: The textures are done really well and even manage to hide the fact that the cutting is a little choppy. :P Good work! 8/10

@PrettyBitch: This cover is great. The original photo doesn't even have the same vibe as your edit, so it was pretty neat you managed to put that together. I love the organic shapes (are they signatures?). I would've given a better score... but while I know it isn't your fault everyone but Taylor Momsen was born fugly, my eyes bled after looking at their faces. +1 points for Halloween though. 7/10

Total: 15/20

Congratulations to our friend @Woodcrest, who has once again snagged the top spot for this week's competition! You put forward a well planned out and executed cover which fit the official artwork and proved your design talent. Good work my boo!

Sadly, with every week's winner comes someone who will be leaving the show, and it pains me to say that this week my good friend, and one of our favourite designers @wildthings will be leaving the show. :'( They were just two points below @Jump Rope on the leaderboard which means this was a tight loss, but unfortunately they will not be progressing into the top three stage of the competition.

Please join us in farewelling a great designer, and stay tuned for another round of the competition coming very soon!

1 hour ago, PrettyBitch said:

My life is complete. I can die happy, knowing my jabs actually have power over a certain demon. #1.666 #ManginaWithTeeth

Somebody bring me Steven Dehler to eye-rape before I die tho pls.

tumblr_li8gj9l5EW1qzf312.gif~c200

btw im happy that im still in the game after your draggin, bitch! ;)

1 hour ago, PrettyBitch said:

My life is complete. I can die happy, knowing my jabs actually have power over a certain demon. #1.666 #ManginaWithTeeth

Somebody bring me Steven Dehler to eye-rape before I die tho pls.

Stan Scream Queens, you nasty betch!

I loved all this week's covers. Everyone gets a 10 from me! <3 

Welcome back once again to PHFNTCD! We can't believe how quickly the time's gone, with only three contestants left in our competition. The truth is that the past few weeks it's been very difficult to find someone to eliminate, and at this point everyone is a winner - but we still need to make it to the end to find PHF's true Top Cover Designer. Once more, our contestants will all be working within a common theme - this time we'll be putting a bit of a twist on the artist idea and asking our designers to work on soundtracks. How will they deal with artist names? Will the dreaded 'Various Artists' tags make a return? Stay tuned to find out more!

As it's the second last week of the competition, I've decided to shake it up and choose the covers you'll be designing myself. These were chosen pretty much at random, so don't drag me if you hate the movie you've been given. :P 

@Woodcrest - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

@Zach - The Bodyguard

@Jump Rope - Frozen

As per usual, you'll all have five days to get your covers in, so make sure you make me and your guest judge happy! ;) I'm super excited to see what you guys come up with for this task - you're some of the most creative people on the site so I know you won't let me down!

Good luck to everyone!

9b9b2c42fad208d4_ho2.xxxlarge.gif

Archived