Introducing PHF'S Next Top Cover Designer!

Tyra Banks

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back to another week on PHFNTCD! This week we focused on male artists, which proved to be a difficult theme for some of our contestants. While I found that I loved most of the concepts you came up with, I wasn’t such a huge fan of the execution of most of the works this week. A lot of the covers had little issues which I thought detracted from how nice they looked. Thankfully, @Third Eye was here to help me out with judging and make sure that the right person wins!

Calvin Harris - @Tweener

@Countess: This is another one where I like the concept but the execution is kinda weird. You did a good job finding photos but there’s something kinda off about the cutting and overall he just doesn’t blend in with the background. The bottom lens flare is cool though - maybe you should have done that on the whole photo! 6/10

@Third Eye: I know you didn’t have a lot of time to do this and you don’t like the artists so I understand why this wasn’t your best week.. I have always loved the space effects but I’m not feeling this one too much. I think your ‘’gay’’ cover from the CK photoshoot would be better, thank you for your entry knowing that you had this hard week <3 4.5/10

Total: 10.5/20

Drake - @Honeymoon

@Countess: I don’t normally like that waved kind of filter that much but for some reason it works quite well with this photo. My only complaint is that I wish the filter had just been used on the background and not on Drake himself. It’s kind of a small issue but I think with these simple covers you have to get it perfect! :P  6/10

@Third Eye: Simple but is still good. I don’t have too much to say about this one, I really like the possition of the text and I think it really looks like a cover from his last album. I think the glitch effect (distorsion) is not necessary at all but as I said,  Good job :roll: 5.5/10

Total: 11.5/20

Josef Salvat - @Higher

@Countess: Even though this is a simple cover, the vibrant colours and striking text makes it really eye-catching! I think you did a good job given how rushed you were for this one. I've taken off a point from each of our marks for the fact it was submitted late though.  4/10

@Third Eye I find it actually cute, it's basic and simple but is still something I would use for the song (If knew him...) I hope you can serve us with amazing artworks again like you did the other weeks, Keep working on it :magic: 5/10

Total: 9/20

Justin Bieber - @wildthings

@Countess: I love these covers but especially the first one with the border included! You did a good job finding a photo of him where he doesn’t look like too much of a douche bag and I think your edits were subtle but effective! Good job! 7.5/10

@Third Eye: Simple but lovely. You choosed the right texture and colors, as you said the text position is a bit weird but, it’s still better than his official covers so… congrats cutie ;) 6.5/10

Total: 14/20

Kanye West - @Woodcrest

@Countess: I can tell you’ve put a lot of work into this, and nothing about it is bad, but it’s not my favourite cover from you either. :'(  I think the background texture is cool but something about the colours aren’t working for me and I just think it's not as interesting or beautiful as most of your other covers. I like the story about why you created it though, it sucks you missed the set! 6.5/10

@Third Eye: This looks better than any of his official artworks. I find the texture very interesting, I’m really feeling the colours and the light of the picture, I think everything matches perfectly in this artwork, congrats Woody! :vacuum: 8.5/10

Total: 15/20

Major Lazer - @Zach

@Countess: I'm not 100% sure if I like the idea of Justin's saggy ass on a single cover but you kinda make it work! :stretcher: Even if I'm not sold on the photo the effect is really cool and suits the song well. 7/10 

@Third Eye: Wow, I really adore the glitch effect, It really looks like an official cover that they would use. The Only thing I don’t like at all is that the picture is too white, too pale. Neverless, It’s a good artwork and it’s cool af :)  7.5/10

Total: 15.5/20

Zayn Malik - @Jump Rope

@Countess: This is a pretty simple cover but I like the effects you used on it! I just don’t like the picture in the background - it looks like the image is stretched too much horizonally and I wish you’d zoomed out a bit more. 6/10

@Third Eye: I really like this one, from the red effect to the font! I think it’s a really good work and it’s very sexy. I don’t know how to feel at the blank spaces but I like the thing that it’s like a torn paper! Slay me Jumpie xx  7.5/10

Total: 13.5/20

Congratulations to the amazing @Zach for winning the challenge this week! <3 You did a great job boo and you executed your cover flawlessly. I hope you celebrate your win with a glass of wine tonight! ;) 

Unfortunately, @Honeymoon is currently the lowest on the leaderboard - although @Tweener is only just above them with one point. While I feel as though I should technically eliminate the person who submitted late, I don't want to eliminate someone who's done great work just because they've gotten confused. As such, due to how close our bottom two are in scores and the fact that @Higher got confused about submission times, I've decided it would be unfair to eliminate anyone this week. I think it's best if we wait until next week when we'll do another double elimination! If anyone feels differently about this please let me know here and I'll take your comments on board. If not, please congratulate our current queen @Zach and stay tuned for another set of artists tomorrow! <3 

Archived