Jump to content

We've had some people tell us that they're unable to send messages to members because their inboxes are too full. Please don't forget to check your inbox and delete old messages to free up space so that you can still receive new ones!

• The Real Reason Why Keri Hilson Disappeared

Skinny Legend

Keri Hilson.jpg

At one point in time, Keri Hilson was the It Girl in pop music, becoming the poster girl for the slinky new wave R&B that populated most of the airwaves back in 2008. Following her breakthrough featuring on Timbaland's still great 'The Way I Are', Hilson stepped out on her own with tracks like 'Knock You Down' featuring Kanye West and Ne-Yo (her biggest success), 'Turnin Me On' with Lil Wayne and 'Pretty Girl Rock'. But she was also a writer, penning hits like Ciara's 'Like A Boy', The Pussycat Dolls' 'Wait A Minute' and Britney Spears 'Gimme More'. Her writing skills allowed her to feature on tracks from dozens of stars, like Chris Brown ('Superhuman'), Trina ('Million Dollar Girl') and T.I. ('Got Your Back').

Hilson's debut album In a Perfect World... was released in 2009, with her second No Boys Allowed released in 2010; but following 2011 she dropped off the musical radar entirely, failing to write songs or collaborate with other artists at all. She dabbled in film a little, appearing in bit parts in Think Like A Man, Riddick, Almost Christmas and Love by the 10th Date; but other than that she was completely MIA, even stepping back from her large platform on social media. In 2016, it was announced online that Keri had a new album called L.I.A.R. (Love Is A Religion) on the way, including tracks with Chris Brown, Danja, Timbaland and Polow Da Don; but while Hilson confirmed that the album did exist, she also stated that she had no plans to release it imminently, and soon after it was completely forgotten.

Now, seven years after she disappeared from music, Hilson has finally explained her reasons why, along with her intention to return to the spotlight. Keri's comeback tour started on the Steve Harvey show, where she met with alleged psychic medium Reginald Lewis in a rather awkward, forced bit where he claimed to connect with her deceased grandmother. Little was said about her music career, but Keri did say that "It is kind of a comeback" after having "hit rock bottom a few times".

A few weeks later, Keri subtly confirmed her foray back into music with a charitable endeavour. Announcing the news on her Twitter, Keri stated that she would be auctioning off a chance to visit her studio and hear her new album for women's health and education charities.

But the real reason for why Keri left was only truly revealed in a roundtable discussion several days ago. Speaking at the Silence the Shame event, Keri stated that she had left music for seven years due to severe depression.

"When 'Pretty Girl Rock' was at the top of the charts, I was bearing the weight of some personal and professional mistakes, and they just weighed so so so heavy on my spirit, and I was just not myself," she stated. "Add to that, this is when I decide to jump out of an eleven year relationship...That is just bad timing."

"It all just kind of spiraled for me, and became something I had never been through, I had never recognised myself as a person who can’t pick themselves back up. I was literally onstage crying."

Keri went on to explain that she recognised the symptoms in herself and asked her management (which included frequent collaborator Timbaland) for a year off. According to her, they didn't understand her struggle, despite the fact that she had helped Timbaland overcome depression years prior.

Keri went on to conduct her own "Eat. Pray. Love." experience, travelling to Africa, China and Japan on a world tour that allowed her to work where she wanted. "Life wasn’t about music anymore, life wasn’t about the charts or watching them," she said. "Life wasn’t about releasing music, shooting videos, writing songs, being in the studio, life was just about survival for me." Things started to change for Keri when she began attending regular therapy and addressed childhood traumas.

"Seven years of my life have been a battle with depression. And I can't say that I'm all the way clear, but I'm in the clear."

For now, Keri's album has had no official announcement, although in an interview last year it seemed as though L.I.A.R. was still the working title. Given that she's still signed to Timbaland's Mosley Music Group we can expect him to play as large a hand as he always has in her sound. We'll keep our fingers crossed that the album will finally be released this year.

Are you looking forward to Keri's new album, or has her time already come and gone? Let us know in the comments down below!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

10 hours ago, Capsule said:

this was a nice read but describing keri hilson as an "it girl" is a LAUGH :cackle:

:tanya: How dare you?! Keri hit #3 with 'Knock You Down', Bey hasn't even managed to beat that in five years! :wink:

Link to comment
    2 hours ago, Countess said:

I don't give a damn about Beyonce tbQh, but Keri Hilson is NO Bey.

Link to comment
    6 hours ago, Capsule said:

I don't give a damn about Beyonce tbQh, but Keri Hilson is NO Bey.

You're right. Keri doesn't have to make up fake cheating scandals for publicity, she just makes up fake depression sob stories... :wink:

Link to comment
    52 minutes ago, Countess said:

you are such a mess sister

• WTF 1

Link to comment

I loved her first album, one of my faves of 2009! The second one was good just not as good as IAPW, hope we do get another album soon... X6 needs to be out before this though 😂...  :sassy:

Link to comment
    On 3/16/2018 at 10:49 AM, Cypher said:

I read this as "Add to that, this is when I decide to jump out of an elevator" :cypher:

Keri getting that promo for her co-write on PCD's 'Elevator' ten years later! :yaskween:

On 3/18/2018 at 10:08 AM, dannyboixo said:

I totally agree! The second album had some bops (especially 'Lose Control') but IAPW was a lot stronger overall. Maybe she can write a comeback track for Legend X... :cackle:

• Shook 1

Link to comment
    On 3/19/2018 at 2:06 AM, Countess said:

Bless her soul, she needs the money.

Link to comment

Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

data-matched-content-rows-num="1" data-matched-content-columns-num="6" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked">

• Similar Content

• By Skinny Legend
      I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally 2007 has always gone down in history as one of my favourite years ever in pop music. It may have something to do with the fact that I was verging on teenagehood at the time and just beginning to understand the significance of music in my life, but I'd argue that the year was also a good one overall, evidenced by the ongoing popularity of artists debuting or reinventing in 2007 like Rihanna, Justin Timberlake and Kanye West.
      One of the most interesting things about music in 2007 looking back is just how varied it was. On the one hand, there was tail end of the power pop trend of the early 2000s which allowed artists like Avril Lavigne, P!nk and Kelly Clarkson to dominate the charts; but on the other, Timbaland was revolutionising the game with his unique brand of R&B, bringing companions Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado along for the ride. The year also includes some of the catchiest (and oftentimes most annoying) songs in living memory, including Sean Kingston's 'Beautiful Girls', MIMS' 'This Is Why I'm Hot' and Soulja Boy Tell'em's 'Crank That (Soulja Boy)' all sticking in our heads long after they left the charts.
      Take a trip down memory lane by checking out the songs and their peak positions below, and don't forget to let us know your favourite track from 2007 in the comments section!
      The Fray - How to Save a Life
      Released: 26 March, 2006
      Peak: #3
      Hinder - Lips of an Angel
      Released: 24 July, 2006
      Peak: #3
      Akon - Smack That (Feat. Eminem)
      Released: 26 September, 2006
      Peak: #2
      Amy Winehouse - Rehab
      Released: 23 October, 2006
      Peak: #9
      Beyoncé - Irreplaceable
      Released: 23 October, 2006
      Nelly Furtado - Say It Right
      Released: 31 October, 2006
      Peak: #1
      Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape (Feat. Akon)
      Released: 19 December, 2006
      Peak: #2
      Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around... Comes Around
      Released: 19 December, 2006
      Peak: #1
      Fergie - Glamorous (Feat. Ludacris)
      Released: 23 January, 2007
      Mims - This Is Why I'm Hot
      Released: 23 January, 2007
      Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend
      Released: 27 February, 2007
      Peak: #1
      Rihanna - Umbrella (Feat. Jay-Z)
      Released: 29 March, 2007
      Linkin Park - What I've Done
      Released: 2 April, 2007
      Peak: #7
      Kelly Clarkson - Never Again
      Released: 24 April, 2007
      Peak: #8
      Soulja Boy Tell'em - Crank That (Soulja Boy)
      Released: 2 May, 2007
      Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah
      Released: 9 May, 2006
      P!nk - Who Knew
      Released: 18 May, 2006
      Peak: #9
      Sean Kingston - Beautiful Girls
      Released: 26 May, 2007
      Lil Mama - Lip Gloss
      Released: 19 June, 2007
      Peak: #10
      Timbaland - The Way I Are (Feat. D.O.E. & Keri Hilson)
      Released: 9 July, 2007
      Peak: #3
      High School Musical Cast - What Time Is It?
      Released: 17 July, 2007
      Peak: #6
      Kanye West - Stronger
      Released: 31 July, 2007
      Jordin Sparks - Tattoo
      Released: 27 August, 2007
      Peak: #8
      Alicia Keys - No One
      Released: 11 September, 2007
      Peak: #1
      Timbaland - Apologize (Feat. OneRepublic)
      Released: 17 September, 2007
      Peak: #2
      Britney Spears - Gimme More
      Released: 20 September, 2007
      Peak: #3
      Flo Rida - Low (Feat. T-Pain)
      Released: 9 October, 2007
      Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
      Released: 19 October, 2007

About #PopHatesFlops:

Since our start as a blog called #PopHatesFags in 2012, PHF has consistently provided you with the latest pop culture news and hottest new releases. Join us as we analyse everything pop culture, build new friendships, and discuss the latest news and tracks exclusive to #PopHatesFlops!

Member of the Month:

trashmagic has been with us since 2014, which makes them one of the earliest members of the #PHFamily. Even though they haven't made hundreds of posts, their content is always high quality, which explains why they've been the most liked member for three different days. trashmagic is long overdue to be Member of the Month and we're so happy to have them fill the role for the month of November! We hope you enjoy your special month baby!

×