Big Time Rush (Unreleased Infopost + Masterpost)

Kipper

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Cypher said:

Interesting that this demo had that 8-bit sound in the b-b-b-b-boyfriend part. And that being said, BTR did a great job with this one, changing it just enough but not so much!

Strangely, taking the song by itself, I think I prefer the way the instruments are mixed in this demo compared to the final. The rougher production makes them feel a little more 'intense' and gives it that darker late 2000s-R&B club vibe, which I'm a sucker for. It's cool, and part of me wants to hear a mix with BTR's vocals, but it obviously doesn't suit them as well as the final version does. This song is iconic as it is!

I don't think it's very well known, that the very first iteration of this song was written for Lupe Fiasco. His label commissioned like, 40 different hooks to be written until they finally rejected it, and eventually it was made into this and pitched to BTR.

3 hours ago, Kipper said:

Strangely, taking the song by itself, I think I prefer the way the instruments are mixed in this demo compared to the final. The rougher production makes them feel a little more 'intense' and gives it that darker late 2000s-R&B club vibe, which I'm a sucker for. It's cool, and part of me wants to hear a mix with BTR's vocals, but it obviously doesn't suit them as well as the final version does. This song is iconic as it is!

I don't think it's very well known, that the very first iteration of this song was written for Lupe Fiasco. His label commissioned like, 40 different hooks to be written until they finally rejected it, and eventually it was made into this and pitched to BTR.

I could totally see this being a pitch demo for Lupe tbh. The demo instrumental makes a lot of sense!

• 3 weeks later...

Happened upon this track marked as a Big Time Rush demo on my hd a while ago. Figured I'd check if it was in here, but it doesn't seem to be and a quick google search didn't come up with any info about them having a track with that title.

Not sure if it's registered as a Big Time Rush track anywhere and it kinda sounds like it might've been written for the Backstreet Boys. But I reckon that most of the tracks they recorded were pre-existing tracks not specifically written for them anyway.

I doubt it was tagged as a demo for them, and I'm really not into August or BTR honestly. So I'm guessing the info about it being a BTR demo probably came from Lucas Secon's Myspace or his wiki page back in the day:

August Rigo - Burnin' [Lucas Secon & Mintman]

https://onlyfiles.io/f/0b0e3ef762ed429b92ae2e586e1b7090

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 3:21 PM, Otaku said:

Happened upon this track marked as a Big Time Rush demo on my hd a while ago. Figured I'd check if it was in here, but it doesn't seem to be and a quick google search didn't come up with any info about them having a track with that title.

Not sure if it's registered as a Big Time Rush track anywhere and it kinda sounds like it might've been written for the Backstreet Boys. But I reckon that most of the tracks they recorded were pre-existing tracks not specifically written for them anyway.

I doubt it was tagged as a demo for them, and I'm really not into August or BTR honestly. So I'm guessing the info about it being a BTR demo probably came from Lucas Secon's Myspace or his wiki page back in the day:

August Rigo - Burnin' [Lucas Secon & Mintman]

https://onlyfiles.io/f/0b0e3ef762ed429b92ae2e586e1b7090

I know for sure I've come across this track before, but didn't know anything about it being marked a BTR demo. This is one of the hundreds of old R&B tracks I was hoarding from old MP3 sites a few months ago, from literally anyone that they worked with. Lucas Secon obviously produced "Boyfriend" and Mintman (Carsten Mortensen) is credited an engineer. August Rigo helped write "Confetti Falling" (later released on the third album) and "Party Love" for Elevate.

I was never able to pinpoint for sure when Boyfriend was recorded, but it was most likely May 2010, when they were recording a crazy amount of songs back-to-back in one week at Westlake Studios (which is what's listed for it in the BTR liner notes). They met Lucas Secon when they recorded it, so if this was also recorded, it probably would have been then. It definitely checks all the marks, down to the fact that yeah, it sounds like it was written for BB lol. These were exactly the kind of tracks they were picking up/being offered back then.

I'm going to do some digging, and see if I can pull up anything. You're probably right on the money with Lucas' Myspace, or something very similar. This info is great to have!

2 minutes ago, Kipper said:

I know for sure I've come across this track before, but didn't know anything about it being marked a BTR demo. This is one of the hundreds of old R&B tracks I was hoarding from old MP3 sites a few months ago, from literally anyone that they worked with. Lucas Secon obviously produced "Boyfriend" and Mintman (Carsten Mortensen) is credited an engineer. August Rigo helped write "Confetti Falling" (later released on the third album) and "Party Love" for Elevate.

I was never able to pinpoint for sure when Boyfriend was recorded, but it was most likely May 2010, when they were recording a crazy amount of songs back-to-back in one week at Westlake Studios (which is what's listed for it in the BTR liner notes). They met Lucas Secon when they recorded it, so if this was also recorded, it probably would have been then. It definitely checks all the marks, down to the fact that yeah, it sounds like it was written for BB lol. These were exactly the kind of tracks they were picking up/being offered back then.

I'm going to do some digging, and see if I can pull up anything. You're probably right on the money with Lucas' Myspace, or something very similar. This info is great to have!

Lucas basically used his wiki page as social media. If you go back to the edit histories on wiki, you might be able to see if it was ever on there (along with some hilarious comments from Lucas being pissed off about wiki/people constantly changing his page). The info must've come from somewhere, never in a million years would I listen to that track and go "oh that has to be a Big Time Rush demo...", so that's probably the first place to check. If it was on MySpace, which Lucas also edited all the time, it's probably not retraceable.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Otaku said:

Lucas basically used his wiki page as social media. If you go back to the edit histories on wiki, you might be able to see if it was ever on there (along with some hilarious comments from Lucas being pissed off about wiki/people constantly changing his page). The info must've come from somewhere, never in a million years would I listen to that track and go "oh that has to be a Big Time Rush demo...", so that's probably the first place to check. If it was on MySpace, which Lucas also edited all the time, it's probably not retraceable.

Yeah, so far I've got nothing. I looked through a bunch of revisions from 2010 and didn't find anything about it. I did pick up a few tidbits about Boyfriend though, if anyone's interested:

• Lucas added "Bf" to the page on June 1, 2010 (more credence toward it being recorded in May). On the 14th he added "new sessions" involving "cutting new BTR record" in his bio, which the wording makes me think they only recorded one track.
  • On June 26, he changed it to "BTR feat. New Boyz", which surprised me because I guess they planned that collaboration very early on. I always assumed this was just thrown together on a dime at the label's request. The existence of that "remix" has always struck me as odd, considering it was bound to be overshadowed when it was released alongside another version with f*cking Snoop Dogg. Spur-of-the-moment features weren't uncommon for BTR; Mann was thrown on MSBWU a week before the song came out.

And yes Lucas is a character, lmao. Some of his tweets are hilarious.

1 hour ago, blossomcoco said:

I really hope ‘Midnight Somewhere’ leaks. They want to (hopefully) release all these unreleased songs after they upgraded them to sound more current. 

Same here, out of all their unreleased, Midnight Somewhere is by far the one I need the most!

They've still been talking about potentially putting together an EP of unused songs recently, and if that does happen, it's looking like they'll be straight up re-recording the vocals and re-doing the production. I'm not sure if this is an unusual opinion, but I personally would rather they just grab the old recordings - since many of these songs were written in the early 2010s, they're going to sound like early 2010s songs, so it might sound jarring with today's production, if that makes sense. Of course, I don't know as much about how music rights work on the recording end, but I worry they've already tried to do that and ran into issues with Nick/Columbia or someone/something along the way. Last week they posted about re-recording Paralyzed in order to put in on streaming services, which seems unnecessary when that song has literally had an official release, however obscure. If they ran into issues getting an officially released song than I imagine it's even harder for one that was never used at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...