Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, cocomong said:

No I’ve been doing this cuz this has been her method for years & I hate it. Idk why would ask her friends for opinions instead of the reaction / feed back of performing the songs live or sharing snippets

Besides, any human being with ears and some modicum of taste should be able to make the right decision and either scrap Thorns entirely or just have it be a cute album track moment - the fact she was building an entire era and visuals around such an underwhelming song makes me concerned (even if the era dissipated at the Speed of Light.mp3). I'd love to know what was going through her mind after she wrapped up the Bombastic era because the EP was such a strong body of work and really had me excited/hungry at the prospect of a full-length record in that sort of style, but the quality of her music took a nosedive from 2017 onwards (excluding Lonely for You) even if some of the leaks recorded around that time were awesome.

I also like Die Happy, though really none of the new songs are comparable to her Epic stuff in catchiness and quality. And if she does write a genuinely great pop song these days she just sells it to like Ava Max right away and then there's nothing left for her? 

Edited by Bambi101
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bambi101 said:

Besides, any human being with ears and some modicum of taste should be able to make the right decision and either scrap Thorns entirely or just have it be a cute album track moment - the fact she was building an entire era and visuals around such an underwhelming song makes me concerned (even if the era dissipated at the Speed of Light.mp3). I'd love to know what was going through her mind after she wrapped up the Bombastic era because the EP was such a strong body of work and really had me excited/hungry at the prospect of a full-length record in that sort of style, but the quality of her music took a nosedive from 2017 onwards (excluding Lonely for You) even if some of the leaks recorded around that time were awesome.

I also like Die Happy, though really none of the new songs are comparable to her Epic stuff in catchiness and quality. And if she does write a genuinely great pop song these days she just sells it to like Ava Max right away and then there's nothing left for her? 

To be fair, most of the leaks are really old. We haven’t really heard what she’s been working on all these years other than the songs she did live and Modern Girl, which sounds fantastic.

• Like 3

I loveee bombastic. thorns too its amazing you just have to get the vibe.

whatever the situation was with the epic masters, she vindicated herself of any 'I didnt have the rights' 'I didnt have ownership' ambiguity conclusively in 2021. she has no excuse in that department anymore as of then, and now cannot use the pandemic as deflection of the album either. all thats left is moving towards a actual release mixing, mastering, re recording, funding for music videos, promo material, packaging, artwork, distribution, photoshoots, promotion and also release fees and publishing.

5 minutes ago, Bambi101 said:

Well seeing how she's doing photoshoots every day I wouldn't worry too much about that :awkwardney:

Imo, she just doesn't want it badly enough. If she REALLY wanted to put out these songs we would've been streaming them right about now already. I'm not even that mad about it as much as I resent her for not communicating though. WHY can she not address this stuff in a simple tweet or an Instagram post? 

Yeah I would prefer a “it’s still coming but I’m not 100% sure when because…” post or tweet & not all these like hype up vague posts of “it’s coming!” “It’s being polished” “sooner than you think!” Replies in the comments

Edited by cocomong
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Bambi101 said:

WHY can she not address this stuff in a simple tweet or an Instagram post?

Because she's afraid that after a terribly short, but quite honest, "I don't care enough for my music career and I'd rather focus on other ventures, so sorry guys", we all are going to leave.

• Shook 1

3 hours ago, Bambi101 said:

Btw, not sure if this is a well-known factoid, but I Want It All is actually a much much older song than the rest of the tracks on Bombastic.

"I Want It All is actually an older song, I wrote it about.. maybe 6 years ago, um, and it was kind of forgotten on a hardrive somewhere for a long time, and when I wrote Bombastic and that was kinda the song I wanted to base the EP around I was like what else do I have in this vein, like, what other more like kinda rock n roll songs with teeth do I have, and I dug that one up; I wrote it with Greg Kurstin and Oligee from Oliver, and... it's actually a song about.. I wrote it when I was like signing a bunch of deals with like, you know, different corporations and publishers and stuff, and the first line is 'I would make a deal with the Devil, turn my heart into metal just to get to you' and the second verse says 'I would cut like a razor, sign in blood on the paper just to get to you' and it's a song to my fans. It's about how I basically sold my soul for rock n roll and I would do anything to get to my audience because I need them - I need that audience." - Bonnie McKee, July 2015

Yeah, I've always found this tid-bit pretty interesting! It's obvious that "I Want It All" is from the early Epic album sessions (due to Greg Kurstin and Oligee's involvement), so the whole notion of Bonnie not having the rights to release songs from that time has always been a little fishy to me.

I guess it might make sense re: "S-L-A-Y" because she wrote that song after "American Girl" was released, and perhaps the recording was funded by Epic, but I'm pretty sure she had most of the other songs ready to go before signing with Epic to begin with. In one of the Breaking Bonnie episodes she talked about "secretly planning this album for years".

And didn't she say something about the the Epic deal being mainly just for distribution? It's clear they weren't funding any of her music videos ("American Girl" was basically filmed at her house lol) and I can't imagine them paying for studio time when Bonnie already had the industry connections and a producer boyfriend to make it all happen on her own anyway.

I dunno y'all... I feel like the whole "she didn't get her masters back until recently!" thing is wishful thinking and Bonnie's been sitting back in her mansion in the Hollywood Hills with the ability to release these songs (just like she did with "I Want It All") but chooses to clown us and make TikTok videos instead.

• Like 3
  • YAAASSS 1

• Cypher changed the title to Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)