Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Bambi101 said:

Lmao, girl just admit your career is over if you keep milking a short film project from 2+ years ago that's available nowhere.

IKLbbIL.jpg

Isn’t it also like 13 minutes? I get she still wants it in the circuit but like babe I’m NOT paying all that money for a 13 minute video that I can’t even watch when I want.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ice Prince said:

"scored it with my boyfriend in my home studio" GIRL YOU HAVE A STUDIO RIGHT THERE??? Like, use it and then release something.

:dealwithit: 

And what's more, she had it built so she could (allegedly) save time traveling back-and-forth + to be more productive. I'm getting a "I didn't sign with another major label so I could release more music and serve it to my fans faster than before" deja vu. It's sad and I don't believe a word she says anymore.

1 hour ago, zaynphallic said:

So is someone gonna leak the final version of S.L.A.Y. or what? She's obviously never going to release it.

I wonder if there really is one circulating among traders. I mean, it HAS TO be because she def had the song ready for release back in 2013, and the demo was among the songs that were stolen (both the demo and the final version were recorded very close to each other just like Everything But You -- and both the demo and the final EBY already leaked).

10 minutes ago, cocomong said:

Isn’t it also like 13 minutes? I get she still wants it in the circuit but like babe I’m NOT paying all that money for a 13 minute video that I can’t even watch when I want.

Yes, and imo, it's not even worth all the accolades or anyone's time. Sure, it's admirable and cute she made it all happen in a very DYI one-woman-show type-of-way which is why I feel like it got all those awards and praise (well, that AND the fact it's dealing with S.A. which is such a hot topic these days with MeToo etc). Overall, it's really not the masterpiece she's painting it to be, though (imho).  

• Like 2

lmao not the shade about the short film... spill tho. like no disrespect, and congrats or whatever, but like... put that shit on Youtube for some streams. i actually wanna watch it and see how her acting is.

I low-key feel like she wants to focus on film anyway. Didn't she say she's kinda over music? If that's the case I rly don't see ha putting out the Epic album or even a droplet. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, sunlightzone said:

I low-key feel like she wants to focus on film anyway. Didn't she say she's kinda over music? If that's the case I rly don't see ha putting out the Epic album or even a droplet. 

Not even lowkey, she highkey gave up on music. I mean, the stats speak volumes... last solo single (that was meant for an actual Bonnie McKee project) released in 2018, then a slew of non-event singles (cover of another artist's song in 2019, a passion project with Eden xo 2019, and a TV series song in 2020). She also rebranded herself as a seasonal/Halloween act with the LVCRFT songs, and she isn't even credited on some of them. So yeah, she had all those false starts in 2017/2018 and after that just kind of fooled around on other people's work to make it seem like she's still consistently releasing when, really, she's not.

The gag is that with her work ethic -- is her career in film going to be any different? She complained about indie music career being expensive.... um, is making indie films any different? Maybe you don't have to pay producers or deal with publishing, but I'm sure there are new cans of worms to open. And then there's the April Kills the Vibe TV series she's hoping to make happen. Yeah, we're so excited about that Bonnie. Can't wait to see the story of a recovering alcoholic trying to manouver the world of never meeting deadlines and serving empty promises. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as overly harsh, but it's like she doesn't live with her feet firmly planted on the ground.

Meanwhile, Skylar Grey, a singer/songwriter who's had a very similar trajectory as Bonnie has just released an entire studio album this year (independently I might add).

Edited by Bambi101
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bambi101 said:

Not even lowkey, she highkey gave up on music. I mean, the stats speak volumes... last solo single (that was meant for an actual Bonnie McKee project) released in 2018, then a slew of non-event singles (cover of another artist's song in 2019, a passion project with Eden xo 2019, and a TV series song in 2020). She also rebranded herself as a seasonal/Halloween act with the LVCRFT songs, and she isn't even credited on some of them. So yeah, she had all those false starts in 2017/2018 and after that just kind of fooled around on other people's work to make it seem like she's still consistently releasing when, really, she's not.

The gag is that with her work ethic -- is her career in film going to be any different? She complained about indie music career being expensive.... um, is making indie films any different? Maybe you don't have to pay producers or deal with publishing, but I'm sure there are new cans of worms to open. And then there's the April Kills the Vibe TV series she's hoping to make happen. Yeah, we're so excited about that Bonnie. Can't wait to see the story of a recovering alcoholic trying to manouver the world of never meeting deadlines and serving empty promises. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as overly harsh, but it's like she doesn't live with her feet firmly planted on the ground.

Meanwhile, Skylar Grey, a singer/songwriter who's had a very similar trajectory as Bonnie has just released an entire studio album this year (independently I might add).

Exactly - however I think Skylar Grey initially didn't meet the same label issues. They didn't stop her from releasing two albums with them, but I'm aware that after 2016 the situation with them went downhill and now she's finally free from her contract. But I'm so glad you bring her up, her new album is excellent, definitely her best yet, and very worth it. Bonnie definitely should take some notes, in releasing terms mostly.

• YAAASSS 1

It looks like she's not interested on releasing music and prefers to promote that shortfilm (April....)

When i hear her on Spotify, i can't believe why she has released some bland songs instead of release some songs like Slay or Die Happy officially!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ice Prince said:

Exactly - however I think Skylar Grey initially didn't meet the same label issues. They didn't stop her from releasing two albums with them, but I'm aware that after 2016 the situation with them went downhill and now she's finally free from her contract. But I'm so glad you bring her up, her new album is excellent, definitely her best yet, and very worth it. Bonnie definitely should take some notes, in releasing terms mostly.

Yes and yes!! Skylar truly served with the album. Love the melodies and the theme.

11 minutes ago, Djkostream said:

It looks like she's not interested on releasing music and prefers to promote that shortfilm (April....)

When i hear her on Spotify, i can't believe why she has released some bland songs instead of release some songs like Slay or Die Happy officially!

That's exactly what all of us are puzzled about. If releasing songs really is as expensive and difficult as she's describing it to be, then I find it mind-boggling she's hoarding the genuinely great songs she's recorded (and that only she can pull off) and chooses to release generic nondescript singles instead. Bonnie if you're reading this thread gives us an explanation because I cannot for the life of me rationalize this.  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Bambi101 said:

Yes and yes!! Skylar truly served with the album. Love the melodies and the theme.

That's exactly what all of us are puzzled about. If releasing songs really is as expensive and difficult as she's describing it to be, then I find it mind-boggling she's hoarding the genuinely great songs she's recorded (and that only she can pull off) and chooses to release generic nondescript singles instead. Bonnie if you're reading this thread gives us an explanation because I cannot for the life of me rationalize this.  

SO TRUE!

• Like 1

Has the joy of having (most of) the Epic tracks worn off for anyone else? It felt like Christmas for a while, waking up to new leaks almost daily, and the euphoria of finally hearing these pop masterpieces we've been waiting nearly a decade for. I listened to pretty much nothing but the leaks for a few weeks, meticulously arranging them into my dream track list of the perfect pop album that could have been. It was encouraging to see Bonnie responding to comments on TikTok and Instagram ensuring that something was "coming soon", and for once I actually kind of believed her.

Now, here we are months later... the leaks have stopped and Bonnie's gone silent again. Is it finally time to move on? :bye:

• Like 3
  • YAAASSS 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, zaynphallic said:

Has the joy of having (most of) the Epic tracks worn off for anyone else? It felt like Christmas for a while, waking up to new leaks almost daily, and the euphoria of finally hearing these pop masterpieces we've been waiting nearly a decade for. I listened to pretty much nothing but the leaks for a few weeks, meticulously arranging them into my dream track list of the perfect pop album that could have been. It was encouraging to see Bonnie responding to comments on TikTok and Instagram ensuring that something was "coming soon", and for once I actually kind of believed her.

Now, here we are months later... the leaks have stopped and Bonnie's gone silent again. Is it finally time to move on? :bye:

I kept dosifying the listen after the initial rush and so it's still fun to me. But I feel you, it feels like there's not much left to talk about here.

10 minutes ago, tropicalian said:

so y'all are on the stage of writing the same shit every week. she's coming this year 

I'll believe it when I see it, this girl keeps promising since years ago, without releasing anything. Her replying on TikTok or Instagram is not enough, because she's done that before and it's led to nothing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zaynphallic said:

I tried to avoid over playing them for this reason. I’m still not tired of them.

• Like 3
  • Shook 1

• Cypher changed the title to Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)