Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

52 minutes ago, K.K. Zeno said:

I think it's safe to say we'll get the original instrumentals with new vocals she did on her own.

Hmm, it’s my understanding that the original backing music will also fall under copyright of Epic/ Sony.

I know enough to be sure every sound will have to be re-created from scratch to avoid any breach of copyright. She’s been working hard on these re-records (out of public view) for god knows how long?

This is why I’m surprised no-one else appears curious as to who handled production of the re-records?

Thank fuck she’s not a Jack Antonoff girl .. Could you honestly imagine him trying to re-create the production details on “S.L.A.Y.” (for example) and ever getting the electro right?

There’s more chance of snow (or space aliens) landing on the frigging beach!

Hopefully, Bonnie’s already established professional relationships and connections within the industry (on account of her other compositions being recorded by other artists) - has left the door open to the original producers being receptive to solo Bonnie - on round two.

It’s important to remember those producers were unlikely to ever have been under exclusive contract to Epic/ Sony (in the first place). Therefore she would have been free to work with them in re-creating their original flavors, years later.

There is a whole layer of extra excitement attached to simply studying the production detail on the re-records.

Edited by Dax Diameter
Update
  • Like 1

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Dax Diameter said:

Hmm, it’s my understanding that the original backing music will also fall under copyright of Epic/ Sony.

I know enough to be sure every sound will have to be re-created from scratch to avoid any breach of copyright. She’s been working hard on these re-records (out of public view) for god knows how long?

This is why I’m surprised no-one else appears curious as to who handled production of the re-records?

Thank fuck she’s not a Jack Antonoff girl .. Could you honestly imagine him trying to re-create the production details on “S.L.A.Y.” (for example) and ever getting the electro right?

There’s more chance of snow landing on the frigging beach!

Hopefully, her already established professional relationships and connections in the industry (on account of her other compositions being recorded by other artists) - left the door open to the original producers being receptive to solo Bonnie - on round two.

It’s important to remember those producers were unlikely to ever have been under exclusive contract to Epic/ Sony (in the first place). Therefore she would have been free to work with them in re-creating their original flavors, years later.

There is a whole layer of extra excitement attached to simply studying the production detail on the re-records.

I understand your concern, and I hope this is not the case... Also, as far as I rember, she played songs from the album with the original instrumentals at her vault-themed party (?)

1 hour ago, K.K. Zeno said:

I understand your concern, and I hope this is not the case... Also, as far as I rember, she played songs from the album with the original instrumentals at her vault-themed party (?)

Totally cool, I mean I actually suspect she has done a good job (I believe she owns her own publishing after-all). I have every confidence in her as a musician and in her artistic abilities to deliver a quality finished product to the market!

Edited by Dax Diameter
Update

1 hour ago, Dax Diameter said:

Has she hired the original producers so they can replicate their sounds? Or are the new versions produced by others?

yes she hired the original producers afaik, she was interacting with Joakim Ahund on Instagram ab releasing the songs

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Think of JoJo’s re-recorded albums. The label owns the prior masters (ie: vocals and instrumental), Bonnie would have to re-record + re-produce instrumentals. I assume Bonnie has songwriting copyright on all those masters since she’s using the same lyrics, and I’m sure they’ll sound slightly different or completely vamped up! But how exciting. 

note: labels make it so difficult to release masters to artist no longer signed. Like, Jessica Sutta can’t even get her masters for Sutta Pop cause they’re too expensive.

Edited by AmandaLepore
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

Has she hired the original producers so they can replicate their sounds? Or are the new versions produced by others?

Yup, as @izzzyyy said, she's interacted with Joakim Ahlund, and I think she's still in contact with Oligee so maybe he could also be involved. As for Max Martin I don't think so ($$$)

Just now, Ice Prince said:

Everything But You, and also Right Now (but that one also involves Puke and Bonnie said it's more than scrapped)

Thanks! 
The ones I care the most are I Wanna F Call You, Hot City, Rewind Your Heart, Electric Heaven and Forever 21. I truly hope all of them make it. She said Electric Heaven got a makeover some time ago.

• Like 1

Safe to expect these to be full reproductions (maybe we'll get her to reteam with some former collabs, but still), so they will sound different and likely more organic. Let's keep our expectations in check in this regard and understand that she likely isn't able to singularly reproduce the exact same sound, but I'm sure they'll be amazing and will be fully her and therefore, I'll be streaming and promoting regardless! 

• Love 3

• Cypher changed the title to Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)