maleficent-movie.jpg

In 2014, Maleficent earned Walt Disney Pictures more than more than $758 million worldwide and made the live-action reboot trend a viable option. Thus, it comes as no surprise that Disney is developing a sequel for the Angelina Jolie-led reimagining of Disney’s 1959 animated classic Sleeping Beauty. 

Deadline reports that Maleficent screenwriter Linda Woolverton is returning to pen the sequel with an aim for Jolie to reprise her role. Woolverton is the only talent confirmed to return at this point, but the report notes that Jolie is “kept in the loop”, though her involvement would require a new deal. 

The first film was an inversion of the Sleeping Beauty‘s classic narrative, following the villainess Maleficent, chronicling how she became the vindictive woman who cursed the princess Aurora, and painting her in a sympathetic light. The success of a sequel will no doubt depend on drawing Jolie back, and the actress has been notoriously difficult to lock down for sequels, declining to return for planned follow-ups to Salt and Wanted. 

While 2010’s Alice in Wonderland (also scripted by Woolverton) was Disney’s first major venture into live-action reboots of their fairytale classics, it was Maleficent that got the re-imagining trend off the ground, bringing home more than four times its reported $180 million budget. Following the success of Maleficent and this year’s lovely Cinderella, Disney has an absolutely insane amount of live-action reboots on the docket including an Alice in Wonderland sequel, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, Tinkerbell, Mulan, Pinoccio and even Winnie the Pooh.

The first one was an absolute mess (although I did like Angelina in the role) so I don't have high hopes for the next one. :morning: Although, if they completely veered her away from the Sleeping Beauty story and she went to some distant land or something it could be more interesting.

maleficent-movie.jpg

The first one was an absolute mess (although I did like Angelina in the role) so I don't have high hopes for the next one. :morning: Although, if they completely veered her away from the Sleeping Beauty story and she went to some distant land or something it could be more interesting.

The first one was fucking great lol I loved it and everyone I talked to about it irl said they really enjoyed it too???? Were we watching a different movie? 

• YAAASSS 1

The first one was fucking great lol I loved it and everyone I talked to about it irl said they really enjoyed it too???? Were we watching a different movie? 

Everyone I've spoken to about it said that it was probably one of the worst films they'd ever seen and Angie's amazing acting was the only thing that stopped it from being a complete trainwreck.

• YAAASSS 1

Everyone I've spoken to about it said that it was probably one of the worst films they'd ever seen and Angie's amazing acting was the only thing that stopped it from being a complete trainwreck.

Really? Idk everyone that talked about it told me it was good and I didn't think it was as bad as everyone's claiming. Hmm interesting

I thought the acting was good (at least from Angie, the others were mediocre) and the visuals were nice, but the scripting was just soooooooo messy. Literally the whole first twenty minutes is just a flashback and then they say "there's a war coming" and literally nothing else happens until the war comes. The pacing is just all over the place. :stretcher:

It's gonna be as bad written as the first one or she will step aside and let some good writer do it? 

I can't with the live action Disney movies, because you know everything about it after 20 minutes in

I feel the same way, although I did quite enjoy Cinderella tbh.  :blush: It was obviously predictable as fuck but at least it did what everyone wanted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

can lana plz be in it?

Maybe if she is the whole project will go the same way as the Marilyn Manson video! :hail: 

Oh, I was talking about the soundtrack. BUT IF. SHE. IS. IN. IT. I. WILL. DIE. OMG. I. CAN'T. YAS. LANA. PLEASE!!!

Oooooh, I gotcha! :stretcher: Omg, imagine if Lana did act in it! #LanaForMaleficentsGoodSister2015

• 3 weeks later...

can lana plz be in it?

Maybe if she is the whole project will go the same way as the Marilyn Manson video! :hail: 

Oh, I was talking about the soundtrack. BUT IF. SHE. IS. IN. IT. I. WILL. DIE. OMG. I. CAN'T. YAS. LANA. PLEASE!!!

Oooooh, I gotcha! :stretcher: Omg, imagine if Lana did act in it! #LanaForMaleficentsGoodSister2015

PLEASE PLSEASE :hail::hail::hail::hail:

• YAAASSS 1

• 1 month later...

It was a huge letdown but watching Angelina act with her kid was absolutely adorable and heart melting. Plus she's always flawless in everything she does. I don't think they should make a sequel though.

Agreed! Her kid was a much better actor than Elle Fanning who just made me want to scratch my eyeballs out every time she smiled. :vacuum: