Julia Garner Officially Cast As Madonna

Ozark-Madonna.jpg

Idk if you guys have been following the Madonna biopic that's in production, but Madonna herself has co-written the script and is set to direct the upcoming movie about her life!

Now Julia Garner (Ozark, Inventing Anna) has apparently been cast as the lead.

“Inventing Anna” actress Julia Garner has been offered the role of Madonna in a forthcoming biopic about the pop icon, sources familiar with the project told Variety.

Garner has emerged the favorite from over a dozen candidates, one insider added, and has for months been speculated as a frontrunner for the part — a performance Madonna will shepherd herself as director. Garner’s team is considering and expected to accept the offer, said another source.

I liked her a lot in Ozark although I thought Inventing Anna was way overhyped. I do think she would do a good job as Madge, but I'm a little worried if Madonna herself is the director given how messy she's been acting lately... :awkwardney: 

What do you guys think?

I love Madonna (old Madonna at least lol, i mean old like 80's Madonna, not an age problem so don't call me ageist lol) but this thing of her directing her own biopic scares me.

She said she's the only person who can direct a biopic about her life, but i think it might not be right.

Madonna's HUGE ego might become a bit intrusive, might be wrong but i'd have prefered somebody else directing it.

The choice of the actress partially proves i might not be totally wrong: Madonna's true colors are dark brown, she spent the first years of her career, before being famous in NY, just being a brunette, she kept her hair roots and her eyebrows brown for so long, her italian heritage just showed a lot when she was a kid.

The actress they picked looks very different from Madonna aged 20 22, she looks like some beautiful swedish mannequin which is far from what madonna was on her way to stardom.

Julia Garner look more like the porjection Madonna had of herself rather that what she really looked like at her age (if you know what i mean lol).

ps: there's a dancer who won an awful talent show here in Italy which reminds me A LOT of Madonna aged 19 20, an actress with those dark italian features would have been a much fitter pick.

Schermata-2020-11-20-alle-16-compressed-696x389.jpg

Giulia-Stabile-02052022-tipiu-1.jpg

Giulia-Stabile-1.jpg

3 hours ago, 808Dream said:

I love Madonna (old Madonna at least lol, i mean old like 80's Madonna, not an age problem so don't call me ageist lol) but this thing of her directing her own biopic scares me.

She said she's the only person who can direct a biopic about her life, but i think it might not be right.

Madonna's HUGE ego might become a bit intrusive, might be wrong but i'd have prefered somebody else directing it.

The choice of the actress partially proves i might not be totally wrong: Madonna's true colors are dark brown, she spent the first years of her career, before being famous in NY, just being a brunette, she kept her hair roots and her eyebrows brown for so long, her italian heritage just showed a lot when she was a kid.

The actress they picked looks very different from Madonna aged 20 22, she looks like some beautiful swedish mannequin which is far from what madonna was on her way to stardom.

Julia Garner look more like the porjection Madonna had of herself rather that what she really looked like at her age (if you know what i mean lol).

ps: there's a dancer who won an awful talent show here in Italy which reminds me A LOT of Madonna aged 19 20, an actress with those dark italian features would have been a much fitter pick.

Schermata-2020-11-20-alle-16-compressed-696x389.jpg

Giulia-Stabile-02052022-tipiu-1.jpg

Giulia-Stabile-1.jpg

I completely agree with you on Madonna directing! I think she's just too close to the source material to give it a fair go...It's going to be Mariah Carey's autobiography all over again where she always comes out the hero in every situation and it's everyone else who's the horrible person :awkwardney: I think someone less biased would have done a better job of capturing the real Madonna, but I guess we'll see what happens.

As for the way Julia looks, I actually think she's pretty close but I can see what you mean in terms of getting someone who looks more like young Madonna/current Lourdes. But I also wouldn't say Rami Malek looks like Freddie Mercury and they did a pretty good job with that so I'm not too worried about the way she looks. I just hope she gets the persona right!

7 minutes ago, Leaving said:

I completely agree with you on Madonna directing! I think she's just too close to the source material to give it a fair go...It's going to be Mariah Carey's autobiography all over again where she always comes out the hero in every situation and it's everyone else who's the horrible person :awkwardney: I think someone less biased would have done a better job of capturing the real Madonna, but I guess we'll see what happens.

As for the way Julia looks, I actually think she's pretty close but I can see what you mean in terms of getting someone who looks more like young Madonna/current Lourdes. But I also wouldn't say Rami Malek looks like Freddie Mercury and they did a pretty good job with that so I'm not too worried about the way she looks. I just hope she gets the persona right!

Totally agree, even if I have to be honest, it's always hard for me to see the actors who play the role of such famous icons and personalities I'm super familiar with and not constantly think that it's someone dressed as them. 

Malok did a great job with the Queen movie, but I couldn't help but thinking that it was someone with fake teeth dressed as Freddie Mercury 😞

Another Mariah Carey hero lol, but yeah exactly you're right it's gonna be a huge self celebration 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 808Dream said:

Totally agree, even if I have to be honest, it's always hard for me to see the actors who play the role of such famous icons and personalities I'm super familiar with and not constantly think that it's someone dressed as them. 

Malok did a great job with the Queen movie, but I couldn't help but thinking that it was someone with fake teeth dressed as Freddie Mercury 😞

Another Mariah Carey hero lol, but yeah exactly you're right it's gonna be a huge self celebration 

I get what you mean. I definitely thought that when I was watching that Lucille Ball movie with Nicole Kidman that just came out recently :vacuum: She played the role well but she didn't look or act anything like the real Lucy. But I thought Rami Malek, Taron Egerton and Renee Zelwegger all did a good job with their characters so I think as long as they find the right person it can work!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

After all that talking on Instagram, finishing the script and even casting the lead role...The film has been cancelled :awkwardney:

The anticipated biopic of music legend Madonna is taking an indefinite holiday. The project, which the icon was going to direct herself, is no longer in development at Universal Pictures, multiple sources told Variety.

Speculation over the fate of the movie began instantly after Madonna announced a career-spanning world tour last week — one that sold out shows in New York, London, Paris and other cities in minutes. Insiders familiar with Madonna said her sole focus Is the tour, but she remains committed to making a film about her life one day.

Representatives for Madonna, Garner and Universal Pictures declined to comment on the matter.

While announced in 2020, development on the film lingered on through the end of 2022. Madonna worked on two script drafts encompassing large periods of her creative and personal life. An earlier version was written with Oscar winner Diablo Cody (their writing sessions were disseminated wide on social media). Erin Cressida Wilson (“Secretary,” “The Girl on the Train”) took a second pass. Last June, Variety broke the news that Emmy and Golden Globe winner Garner had won the role of the pop icon. It followed a grueling weekslong bake-off among a group of young actors (including Florence Pugh, “Euphoria” star Alexa Demie, Odessa Young and Bebe Rexha) who attended singing and dancing bootcamp.

Universal Filmed Entertainment Group Chairman Donna Langley brought the project to the studio with producer Amy Pascal, whose eponymous production company is set up on the Uni lot. Sara Zambreno and longtime Madonna manager Guy Oseary were set to executive produce. The project would have marked a reunion for Madonna and Pascal, who worked together on the 1982 baseball classic “A League of Their Own.”

It’s embarrassing for all concerned, after two scripts by two separate writers (Diablo Cody and Erin Cressida Wilson) Followed by a week long all singing/ dancing boot camp attended not only by winner Julia Garner but also Florence Pugh, Alexa Demie, Odessa Young and Bebe Rexha.

However, rumours of almost her entire life (prior to landing in New York), being glossed over in both scripts sounded disappointing to me. Perhaps all concerned simply need the time and space to find a different production company.

With rumours of both scripts running to three hours apiece, I think a story of such density would be better served in the hands of a director like Martin Scorsese (whilst he’s still around) or even Baz Luhrmann, certainly not someone with much less comparative experience (Madonna), who has never been celebrated in that arena herself.

Down the line (once she re-groups her wagons), other directors I think she should consider are Peter Jackson, Bryan Singer or Dexter Fletcher.

19 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

It’s embarrassing for all concerned, after two scripts by two separate writers (Diablo Cody and Erin Cressida Wilson) Followed by a week long all singing/ dancing boot camp attended not only by winner Julia Garner but also Florence Pugh, Alexa Demie, Odessa Young and Bebe Rexha.

However, rumours of almost her entire life (prior to landing in New York), being glossed over in both scripts sounded disappointing to me. Perhaps all concerned simply need the time and space to find a different production company.

With rumours of both scripts running to three hours apiece, I think a story of such density would be better served in the hands of a director like Martin Scorsese (whilst he’s still around) or even Baz Luhrmann, certainly not someone with much less comparative experience (Madonna), who has never been celebrated in that arena herself.

Down the line (once she re-groups her wagons), other directors I think she should consider are Peter Jackson, Bryan Singer or Dexter Fletcher.

I still can't believe Bebe Rexha was ever considered for this role :cackle: She is sooo wrong for this part energetically and I honestly think casting her would turn the whole thing into a dreadful Lifetime original movie

As for Bryan Singer, I doubt he'll never work again in Hollywood and rightly so.

I'm still down for a Madonna biopic at some point and I think Julia would make a great lead, but it's probably a better idea to get a third party to write it so we're not just getting a biased account from the lady herself.

19 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

I hope once they reconvene after she has gone through the tour/ reissue program/ next studio album cycle, that they (re)consider Paris Jackson for the lead role.

Paris would be an interesting choice for sure! She definitely looks like Madonna and has that cool girl energy. I haven't actually seen her act in anything but I know she's had little parts here and there so she could be good.

• YAAASSS 1