Down Voted Club: What happened to PopHatesFlops?

jlnsgr

What should happen to the downvote button?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to the downvote button?

• Keep the downvote button as is
    • Remove the downvote button entirely
    • Stop the downvote button from affecting reputation
    • Stop new users from being able to react to things

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Tweener said:

@Skinny Legend should remove the downvote button. Why spread negativity at all. And now it's a weapon for rats to annoy members. Just get rid of it

Amen.  Now watch this comment get down voted for no reason whatsoever. 

Who and the heck is this Julien person down voting almost all the comments in this topic.  I have never heard of them before.

1 hour ago, Tweener said:

@Skinny Legend should remove the downvote button. Why spread negativity at all. And now it's a weapon for rats to annoy members. Just get rid of it

I agree. I don't know who the hell are these new freaks that are downvoting everything, and suddenly my usually ignored thread are fulfilled with these irritating downvotes. If we pay attention, none of us —I include myself in the non-problematic part of the community, that is the majority— usually press the downvote button. If it is deleted, peace may come back to PHF.

2 hours ago, coolaideonfire said:

I've noticed this too but not on the scale you've received. It doesn't bother me too much, but some of the posts I'm downvoted on really have no reason to object. 

Me too! I've been downvoted in a cover I posted of my own, which I don't feel it's horrible at all :stretcher: but these guys are like viruses or something, they just pop up and downvote everything they see, even if the posts they downvote are not negative or harsh at all :bye: 

8 minutes ago, Whoknowsmehere said:

I just noticed that this Julien person only registered 4 hours ago.  And I venture to guess this is just another alter ego of Mashed Potato Head, Major Lazer and Melanie and Me.  Probably all the same person.

So that's it then... I thought they would be the reincarnation of Joan or something, but they are the same annoying little brats that are trying so hard to ruin somebody's smiley day. This person needs to get a life. Not even I do that, and I don't have a life. Wtf am I saying tho :cackle: 

15 minutes ago, Whoknowsmehere said:

I just noticed that this Julien person only registered 4 hours ago.  And I venture to guess this is just another alter ego of Mashed Potato Head, Major Lazer and Melanie and Me.  Probably all the same person.

That's my first name... And yeah that's definitely the same person thinking they are funny. My guess would be on some 14-16 yo with no friends, bullied and feeling the need to kill everybody in their school. Frustration is a bad thing to express, my boy/girl

5 minutes ago, jlnsgr said:

That's my first name... And yeah that's definitely the same person thinking they are funny. My guess would be on some 14-16 yo with no friends, bullied and feeling the need to kill everybody in their school. Frustration is a bad thing to express, my boy/girl

All I know is, that the sooner @Skinny Legend does something about this problem, the sooner we can get back to doing what it is that keeps us coming back.  And that is, talking about, and enjoying our favorite music.

While I understand why anyone with downvotes might get slightly peeved, the number of up or down votes doesn't determine your value to the forum. You could have a negative aggregate total or a positive aggregate total in the thousands, so long as you're contributing to the forum in a way that's spreading the love of music and the love of artists, you're appreciated.

Also remember, bad publicity is still publicity. Someone's taking time out of their day to think about you and react to you over the internet. ?

4 minutes ago, Cypher said:

While I understand why anyone with downvotes might get slightly peeved, the number of up or down votes doesn't determine your value to the forum. You could have a negative aggregate total or a positive aggregate total in the thousands, so long as you're contributing to the forum in a way that's spreading the love of music and the love of artists, you're appreciated.

Also remember, bad publicity is still publicity. Someone's taking time out of their day to think about you and react to you over the internet. ?

I fully agree with you on that but the problem is that it is not just downvotes.

And we shouldn't have to deal with those people.

As it was mentioned by others, I feel like the dislike button should be removed or at least only available for accounts who are actively participating in the life of the forum.

9 minutes ago, jlnsgr said:

I fully agree with you on that but the problem is that it is not just downvotes.

And we shouldn't have to deal with those people.

As it was mentioned by others, I feel like the dislike button should be removed or at least only available for accounts who are actively participating in the life of the forum.

If it helps, my mentality on this forum is to just focus on why I come back day after day: To spread the love of music and the artists (and to check what's leaked recently because good ol' me can't keep up). @Skinny Legend has put a lot of heart, soul, and money into growing this forum from a Tumblr account (and potentially something before that, but that was before my time). Upvote or downvote, I'm here for the music.

I understand why everyone is so frustrated and I'm sorry it took me to long to respond. Just as an FYI, I had already banned three accounts from posting that were downvoting people before this thread was made, but what I didn't realise was that even if I had banned them from posting they can still give people reputation. :stretcher: I've now banned them from the forum completely so that they won't be able to even see posts, let alone react to them.

Some people (especially @Whoknowsmehere) have expressed the thought that the downvoting option should be removed entirely. Personally I like keeping it around, but I've taken the liberty to add a poll to this thread asking you guys what you think (hope @jlnsgr doesn't mind!). Please feel free to vote in it so we can get a better idea of how popular the idea is.

As for the idea about the ignore function working both ways, unfortunately that's something that's built into the PHF software and as far as I can see there's no way to add it. :( It is a good idea but I don't have the coding skills we'd need atm. Sorry to disappoint.

If anyone has any other ideas feel free to let me know! <3 And thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts in such a constructive and positive way!

49 minutes ago, Skinny Legend said:

Some people (especially @Whoknowsmehere) have expressed the thought that the downvoting option should be removed entirely.

So true.  LOL.  I have been pretty adamant about that.  Haven't I?  And after reading your comments, I feel somewhat better.  I now know that it is most likely not going happen, as you have stated that you like having it around.  My feelings are still the same, in that I continue to believe we do not need a down vote button.  But you are the boss, so I will defer to your decision on the subject of the down vote button.  :(

As for the idea about the ignore function working both ways, unfortunately that's something that's built into the PHF software and as far as I can see there's no way to add it.

I wish I was good at writing code.  But I can barely write the name @jlnsgr without looking at it twice to make sure I spell it correctly.  (A little inside joke from earlier in the chat box). 

I've now banned them from the forum completely so that they won't be able to even see posts, let alone react to them.

When you banned these certain members, did you ban them by IP or just by name?   Another question that comes to mind, is, does the site allow people to register using a VPN?  If so, then banning is not going to stop them from just re-registering.  A VPN would have the potential to mask their true IP address.  Just curious. 

I do want to thank you for addressing what has become, IMHO, a serious issue that has arisen here at PHF.  

Archived