Emma Watson Cast In 'Beauty and the Beast'

Main Pop Girl

Emma-watson-wonderland-cover-in-dolce-and-gabbana-cover-emma.jpg

Emma Watson was first attached to a live-action version of "Beauty and the Beast" all the way back in 2011. Guillermo del Toro was the director at that point, and Warner Bros. was set as distributer. Four years later, Watson is still set to play Belle, but at a different studio and for a different filmmaker. As first reported by TheWrap, and then confirmed by Disney, the former "Harry Potter" star will play Belle in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast," a live-action film from director Bill Condon.

"I'm finally able to tell you ... that I will be playing Belle in Disney's new live-action 'Beauty and the Beast'!" Watson wrote on Facebook soon after the news broke. "It was such a big part of my growing up, it almost feels surreal that I'll get to dance to 'Be Our Guest' and sing 'Something There'. My 6-year-old self is on the ceiling -- heart bursting. Time to start some singing lessons. I can't wait for you to see it."

The new film is a reunion of sorts for Watson. The script was written by Stephen Chbosky, who directed the 24-year-old actress in "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." (As TheWrap notes, Evan Spiliotopoulos wrote the initial draft of the script.)

Last June, the del Toro version of "Beauty and the Beast," titled "Beauty," hit the skids when the director dropped out of the project. At the time, Deadline.com reported that Watson was still attached to star in that version of the film. But according to TheWrap, Disney reportedly had del Toro's blessing to hire Watson away from the Warner Bros. project.

Production on Condon's film is expected to begin later this year.

I am pretty disappointed that del Toro has left this project, because he always does an amazing job on his films and I know that it would have been stellar. :'( I did quite like The Perks of Being a Wallflower though so I still do have hope for this! And if nothing else, at least we'll get some flawless music from Queen Emma! :hail: I wonder who they'll get to sing 'Beauty and the Beast'?

I wish Disney would have gotten Tim Burton to do the live action films. I love his adaptations.

Idk, I didn't hate Alice in Wonderland but given the amazing plot and actors he had to work with I thought it left a lot to be desired. :vacuum: I hated his choice for the role of Alice and I'm getting so sick of him pushing Johnny Depp in our faces with every movie. But if you like him you'll love del Toro as well, they have a super similiar aesthetic! :hail:

I wish Disney would have gotten Tim Burton to do the live action films. I love his adaptations.

Idk, I didn't hate Alice in Wonderland but given the amazing plot and actors he had to work with I thought it left a lot to be desired. :vacuum: I hated his choice for the role of Alice and I'm getting so sick of him pushing Johnny Depp in our faces with every movie. But if you like him you'll love del Toro as well, they have a super similiar aesthetic! :hail:

d6f.jpg

I'm excited to see how she plays in this role. I've never seen Perks, but I hear great things about it. I'll try to watch it tomorrow!

You definitely should! She basically plays a modern-day Disney Princess and she's great in it. :hail:

So I just watched Perks and now I really wish I watched it earlier. It really is a great film!

d6f.jpg

Sorry I don't wanna see him play the same over the top and unlikable character again and again with only a different accent and hairstyle to differentiate them! :magic:

I'm excited to see how she plays in this role. I've never seen Perks, but I hear great things about it. I'll try to watch it tomorrow!

You definitely should! She basically plays a modern-day Disney Princess and she's great in it. :hail:

So I just watched Perks and now I really wish I watched it earlier. It really is a great film!

RIGHT THO! :hail: The book is kind of pretentious and annoying tbh but the film managed to be touching and heartfelt without taking itself too seriously. So underrated. <3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have two new pieces of news regarding cast members!

Apparently Luke Evans is the first choice for Gaston:

34yefr4.jpg

No idea who he is tbh but I don't really think he's sleazy enough to play Gaston...Not sure who I would have chosen instead but I don't think he's the right choice.

Even worse, Dan Stevens from Downton Abbey is first choice for the Beast.

[img width=650 height=325] jjmscp.jpg

I've hated him ever since he fucked everyone over by leaving Downton tbh and I can't see him working as the Beast at all. :vacuum: I'm still gonna go watch this for Emma but not excited about the rest of the cast.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure I read somewhere this was an adaptation of the stage musical rather than a remake of the film.

Either way i'm looking forward to it. I love Beauty and the Beast

I've never seen the stage musical so I don't know how good that would be. :'( But it would make sense because otherwise how on earth are they meant to be transforming Dan into a beast? :stretcher:

• 1 year later...