Dua Lipa | General Discussion Thread | [Music & Acting Career] | + Potential ‘Unreleased Multi-Era Master Tracker’

Poison ivy

On 7/21/2023 at 6:08 AM, Dax Diameter said:

Can’t believe such a high profile actor spoke to her that way tbh. Whatever happened to chivalry?

I don't see what's wrong with his response in its entire context. Having a problem with Penn's response would be the same as having a problem with Kesha's response to her old pop albums or even Gaga's dismissal of some of her past material. In any career, there are the shit jobs you have to take in order to hone your skills and build up a strong reputation. Penn's just addressing that he doesn't like the question "What drew you to this project" because not every project was his "best and most personal performance where he went full method and the role meant the world to him." To me, it sounds like this headline was intentionally written just to skew the narrative and when read in context, it's a perfectly fine answer. I worked babysitting gigs and retail before getting into my career. Nothing drew me to those jobs, I just needed money to pay for my higher education. If that means I don't exude chivalry, then the mall I used to work at can kiss my ass. 👄

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • WTF 1

42 minutes ago, Dax Diameter said:

Shocking yet very revealing in other ways.

I don't know how old you are, but if you're in the stage of life where you're working and you've been able to go straight into a high paying job without having to work entry level jobs, then I love that for you. The majority of people don't have this type of privilege.

On 7/21/2023 at 9:08 AM, Dax Diameter said:

Can’t believe such a high profile actor spoke to her that way tbh. Whatever happened to chivalry?

3 hours ago, Cypher said:

I don't see what's wrong with his response in its entire context. Having a problem with Penn's response would be the same as having a problem with Kesha's response to her old pop albums or even Gaga's dismissal of some of her past material. In any career, there are the shit jobs you have to take in order to hone your skills and build up a strong reputation. Penn's just addressing that he doesn't like the question "What drew you to this project" because not every project was his "best and most personal performance where he went full method and the role meant the world to him." To me, it sounds like this headline was intentionally written just to skew the narrative and when read in context, it's a perfectly fine answer. I worked babysitting gigs and retail before getting into my career. Nothing drew me to those jobs, I just needed money to pay for my higher education. If that means I don't exude chivalry, then the mall I used to work at can kiss my ass. 👄

I kinda see both sides. Idk. It's like I totally get what Cypher is saying. A lot of people's first time jobs are in fast food, pet/babysitting, grocery store, etc. But, I think he was being kind of snarky. He could have been more polite I guess. Idk. Maybe he was having a bad day, I still think he should have worded what he said better. 

2 hours ago, Kesha Slays said:

I kinda see both sides. Idk. It's like I totally get what Cypher is saying. A lot of people's first time jobs are in fast food, pet/babysitting, grocery store, etc. But, I think he was being kind of snarky. He could have been more polite I guess. Idk. Maybe he was having a bad day, I still think he should have worded what he said better. 

I don't think it's meant to come off facetious. In this video, he's clarifying the difference between the 2 industries because Dua genuinely didn't seem to know his perspective. She took it from an angle of a singer. Moreover, when you examine Penn's interviews, this diction isn't too far away from his norm, so it could just be that it didn't translate well into text. I'm beginning to think maybe that's where the criticism is coming from. I've followed Penn for quite a while through his career (skipped Gossip Girl though),  and I'm pretty confident in that, he's not trying to start beef or dislikes Dua, it's just reading and interjecting tone vs hearing the actual tone can make a huge difference.

And tbh, in this video, Dua sorta writes him off anecdotally at the end where she essentially discounts his perspective as an actor. I don't think either party is trying to start something, it's just a difference in industry.

https://youtu.be/p45Zs7ZOCoY

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cypher said:

I don't think it's meant to come off facetious. In this video, he's clarifying the difference between the 2 industries because Dua genuinely didn't seem to know his perspective. She took it from an angle of a singer. Moreover, when you examine Penn's interviews, this diction isn't too far away from his norm, so it could just be that it didn't translate well into text. I'm beginning to think maybe that's where the criticism is coming from. I've followed Penn for quite a while through his career (skipped Gossip Girl though),  and I'm pretty confident in that, he's not trying to start beef or dislikes Dua, it's just reading and interjecting tone vs hearing the actual tone can make a huge difference.

And tbh, in this video, Dua sorta writes him off anecdotally at the end where she essentially discounts his perspective as an actor. I don't think either party is trying to start something, it's just a difference in industry.

https://youtu.be/p45Zs7ZOCoY

They definitely have different styles of communication, with her being quite flowery and metaphorical and him being quite direct.

But also, acting is a very different profession to singing. She's the main star of her own show and she's selling herself which means she gets to call the shots on how she wants to be seen. Penn as an actor is really just there to service the vision of the director, and given he's playing a character he doesn't really need to worry if people are judging him as a person when he's doing his job.

I think they both have valid points and I don't really see what he said as rude, but of course Twitter loves to take things out of context and blow them up into huge deals :vacuum: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Poison ivy changed the title to Dua Lipa | General Discussion Thread | [Music & Acting Career] | + Potential ‘Unreleased Multi-Era Master Tracker’