Lana Del Rey Drags the Music Industry on Instagram

Lana has made quite the stir with her latest Instagram post! While the comments vary from supportive to upset, she has gained over a million new followers since making it which I guess means she's saying something right.

In the post, Lana criticises the media for attacking her for "glorifying abusive relationships" while simultaneously upholding girls like Ariana, Beyoncé and Cardi for making songs about having sex and cheating.

She also subtly dropped the news that her next album will be released on September 5th, and that she has two new poetry books on the way!

While I fully agree with her point and disagree with anyone who's criticising her, I don't think it was necessary to bring up the other girls. She seems to be implying that "being sexy", "wearing no clothes" and "fucking" are on the same level as "abusive relationships", when Imo the former is very clearly acceptable and the latter isn't.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cypher said:

"when in reality, I'm just a glamorous person" is going to be my response to any hate moving forward.

I'm really going to enjoy "You just hate me because you don't want to believe that a woman could be beautiful, strong and fragile at the same time, loving and all inclusive by making personal reparations simply for the joy of doing it". :stretcher: 

I'll always love Lana but this thing is going way too far...

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Cypher said:

lmfao I was just gonna ask, is she okay? Maybe she has cabin fever...

I wouldn't be surprised...I think she broke up with her boyfriend as well so things might be getting a little dark for her.

I wish that instead of praying for her downfall, people could be praying for her wellbeing rn. :/ It's crazy how high the suicide rate has gotten since COVID.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Skinny Legend said:

I wouldn't be surprised...I think she broke up with her boyfriend as well so things might be getting a little dark for her.

I wish that instead of praying for her downfall, people could be praying for her wellbeing rn. :/ It's crazy how high the suicide rate has gotten since COVID.

I hope she doesn't have a Britney moment. Lash out a little, get it out, and then rebalance Lana!

Idk why she would include Ariana. Literally all of her number one songs are about herself and are positive. She’s a clown and should be cancelled immediately. It’s not the consumers fault her songs don’t do well. She should b grateful that she has fans that love her. Which she clearly doesn’t deserve imo

• WTF 1

1 hour ago, Iheart98 said:

Idk why she would include Ariana. Literally all of her number one songs are about herself and are positive. She’s a clown and should be cancelled immediately. It’s not the consumers fault her songs don’t do well. She should b grateful that she has fans that love her. Which she clearly doesn’t deserve imo

the only clown right here is you 

2 hours ago, Iheart98 said:

mess

Edited by Speedy

Guest worlds-okayest

This whole thing is just so...embarrassing. Mentioning almost entirely women of color (seriously, Ariana is the only artist she mentioned who isn't a POC) and reducing their music to being about "fucking, being sexy, wearing no clothes, cheating" while describing hers with flowery language and calling herself "delicate" and "a glamorous person"...i don't know if she meant it to but this has some real gross and, tbh. racist undertones. And implying there's no place in feminism for her? A rich, cis, straight, able-bodied white woman? Is she serious? 

I'd like to hope she meant well with this letter and it's just really poorly worded, but after her doubling down on it...i'm not so sure.

1 hour ago, worlds-okayest666 said:

This whole thing is just so...embarrassing. Mentioning almost entirely women of color (seriously, Ariana is the only artist she mentioned who isn't a POC) and reducing their music to being about "fucking, being sexy, wearing no clothes, cheating" while describing hers with flowery language and calling herself "delicate" and "a glamorous person"...i don't know if she meant it to but this has some real gross and, tbh. racist undertones. And implying there's no place in feminism for her? A rich, cis, straight, able-bodied white woman? Is she serious? 

I'd like to hope she meant well with this letter and it's just really poorly worded, but after her doubling down on it...i'm not so sure.

How dare you say Ariana isn’t a POC? After all the fake tan, hair dye, makeup, surgeries, voice alterations and rapper boyfriends, doesn’t she finally deserve to be seen as black like she so badly wants? :yeah: 
Honestly, I’m willing to take Lana’s statement that these are her favourite artists at face value. Even though she’s never really shown any love to any of the others, she’s consistently supported Ariana, even down to covering her in a prominent performance and obviously appearing on ‘Don’t Call Me Angel’ as a favour to Ariana. Even if she’s self destructing I can’t imagine her ruining a personal friendship for no reason. I think what she said was just worded really poorly.

• LMAO 1