When did Stanning peak?

POPBOIY

Honestly, 2012 was the best year for pop music. Pop culture has taken a backseat as of late because of the growing interest in different genres of music. Streaming services actually killed pop music imo. Before streaming was available, people often times just listened to whatever was on the radio. We're in the era of hipsters. :cypher: 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2018 at 7:58 AM, Cypher said:

Honestly, 2012 was the best year for pop music. Pop culture has taken a backseat as of late because of the growing interest in different genres of music. Streaming services actually killed pop music imo. Before streaming was available, people often times just listened to whatever was on the radio. We're in the era of hipsters. :cypher: 

You just raised such an interesting point which I'd never thought of before! :orly: On the one hand, it's so cool that smaller artists who aren't even signed can find their big break on Spotify and other apps like that. But at the same time it means that the big artists like Gaga, Katy and Rih never sell as many records anymore and it's harder to make a cultural wave. No wonder our faves albums aren't doing well anymore. :yeah: 

But OT: I would agree that 2012 was the year of stanning, and it all came down to Gaga and her motorcyle-bodied 99-cents-selling antics. :cackle: She started so much shit with the other fanbases and I was living for it!

2011 was my favorite year as a pop music fan! We had Femme Fatale by Britney, Stronger by Kelly Clarkson, Goodbye Lullaby by Avril Lavigne, 4 by Beyoncé... Of course that there was a lot of ugly albums too but most of my faves released pretty solid stuff back then and i don't think we had any good year for music as this one ever since tbh. 

On 19/04/2018 at 11:58 PM, Cypher said:

I agree with some of this, but streaming services allow us to explore and listen to lots of different genres of music we don't hear on the radio and never thought we'd like, without having to pay just to decide whether you like it or not. Though sales are kind of dead :spy:, it has its pros and cons. On one side I hate streaming for letting trash artists chart, but on the other hand broke me barely buys any music so there's that :cackle:

12 hours ago, Countess said:

You just raised such an interesting point which I'd never thought of before! :orly: On the one hand, it's so cool that smaller artists who aren't even signed can find their big break on Spotify and other apps like that. But at the same time it means that the big artists like Gaga, Katy and Rih never sell as many records anymore and it's harder to make a cultural wave. No wonder our faves albums aren't doing well anymore. :yeah: 

But OT: I would agree that 2012 was the year of stanning, and it all came down to Gaga and her motorcyle-bodied 99-cents-selling antics. :cackle: She started so much shit with the other fanbases and I was living for it!

The charts saw some really strong songs, we had Gaga, Madonna, Katy, K$, Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Jason Derulo, Selena, Demi, Natalia Kills, Becky G, Cher Lloyd, etc. etc.

The reason why I feel 2013 was the beginning of the downfall is because: enter Robin Thicke, Pharrell, and Daft Punk. It started the move away from traditional pop music.

7 hours ago, Eclipse said:

I agree with some of this, but streaming services allow us to explore and listen to lots of different genres of music we don't hear on the radio and never thought we'd like, without having to pay just to decide whether you like it or not. Though sales are kind of dead :spy:, it has its pros and cons. On one side I hate streaming for letting trash artists chart, but on the other hand broke me barely buys any music so there's that :cackle:

I didn't say I support one or the other, just stating one factor that caused a shift in pop culture. Better or worse.

5 hours ago, Cypher said:

The charts saw some really strong songs, we had Gaga, Madonna, Katy, K$, Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Jason Derulo, Selena, Demi, Natalia Kills, Becky G, Cher Lloyd, etc. etc.

The reason why I feel 2013 was the beginning of the downfall is because: enter Robin Thicke, Pharrell, and Daft Punk. It started the move away from traditional pop music.

Emphasis added by me, I'm cackling at your shady ass... :cackle: You're right about 2013 though, I like Daft Punk but everything else released that year was a bit of a mess tbh.

1 hour ago, Countess said:

Emphasis added by me, I'm cackling at your shady ass... :cackle: You're right about 2013 though, I like Daft Punk but everything else released that year was a bit of a mess tbh.

At least Becky G had "Shower". I only added Natalia cause you know as well as I do her fanbase would tear me to shreds if I didn't include her. :cypher: 

• 3 weeks later...