Joan Rivers Hospitalized; Heart Stops Beating

joan-rivers-getty-images-618x400.jpg

Joan Rivers has been placed in a medically induced coma by doctors as her family anxiously waits by her bedside after she stopped breathing during a routine medical procedure in Manhattan.

The 81-year-old comic's daughter has asked friends to 'please pray' for her mother after she was rushed from an Upper East Side clinic to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition on Thursday morning.

A picture of health only yesterday at a press event in New York City, doctors will attempt to bring the star out of the coma over the weekend and assess her condition then.

Worryingly for Rivers, who was having surgery on her vocal cords, doctors have said they do not know how long her brain was starved of oxygen after she went into either cardiac or respiratory arrest just after 9am on Thursday.

After daughter, Melissa Rivers arrived at the hospital on Thursday night, she released a statement saying her sick mother was 'resting comfortably.'

'I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming love and support for my mother,' Melissa Rivers said in a statement.

'She is resting comfortably and is with our family. We ask that you continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers.'

Her daughter, Melissa, 46, and grandson Cooper, 13, were pictured at Los Angeles airport as they traveled to be by the star's side.

'She

The news seems dire. Apparently Melissa has been called to the hospital with some other family members to decide whether or not to pull the plug. She's not able to breathe on her own and there's supposedly a very low chance of recovery.

Omfg, noooooooo! :'( Are you kidding me? That's so sad...I hate to think of her like that, without her makeup and clothes on point and with all those tubes stuck into her. :( I'm sending all my love her way but it doesn't sound good...poor Melissa and Cooper too. This is heartbreaking. :'(

Omfg, I absolutely love her tbh. :'( You should watch Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work, it's this documentary about her life that made me totally fall in love with her. <3 <3 <3

Really? I find her lack of empathy towards the death of Amy Winehouse, Adele's weight, and numerous other occasions have brought only the foulest of memories of her for me.

Really? I find her lack of empathy towards the death of Amy Winehouse, Adele's weight, and numerous other occasions have brought only the foulest of memories of her for me.

I think you're missing the point of her tbh...if you watch that documentary I mentioned you'll see her call her daughter a cunt within the first five minutes, before spending the rest of the two hours basically making jokes about how ugly and old she is, and how much plastic surgery she's had done. Sure, she made fun of other celebrities as well, but I don't think her intent was ever malicious or cruel. She just believed in making people laugh.

You guys are missing the point completely, Joan has a very shady sense of humor BUT she makes jokes about herself first, and then she come to all your faves.

And tbh, like she said once "I became succesful by saying what all the others were thinking". And it's completelly true, I recall some of you saying that Taylor is a slut or making fun of Britney's lypsinc and stuff like that, but when it comes to someone dead or fat you flip out, DOUBLE FUCKING STANDARDS.

You guys are missing the point completely, Joan has a very shady sense of humor BUT she makes jokes about herself first, and then she come to all your faves.

And tbh, like she said once "I became succesful by saying what all the others were thinking". And it's completelly true, I recall some of you saying that Taylor is a slut or making fun of Britney's lypsinc and stuff like that, but when it comes to someone dead or fat you flip out, DOUBLE FUCKING STANDARDS.

UM PREACH. :hail: Look at us agreeing on something for once! :shocked:

But yeah, Adele wouldn't even be famous if it wasn't for her weight, and no one even cared about Amy before she died, so bitches need to stfu and stop being hypocritical. :morning:

Nah, I know she's made fun of herself and I know that she was a human being capable of compassion and emotions and what not but her making fun of deaths has never fell good with me. That's why I don't like her. She didn't have respect for the dead which is, to me at least, the most disrespectful thing a person can do. I do consider her a sad loss, but I just never liked her for that reason.