Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Main Pop Girl

• 5 months later...

He covered Entertainment Weekly recently and a few more details about the plot were released!

beasts-ew-1389-cover.jpg

The magic is back! The wizarding world of Harry Potter is returning to theaters next year with the ultra-mysterious prequel film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and EW has the scoop. 

Based on J.K. Rowling’s 2001 encyclopedia beastanica describing magical creatures and her first-ever screenplay, Fantastic Beasts has been hidden under an invisibility cloak of secrecy — until now. 

Beasts stars Oscar winner Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything) as world-famous magizoologist Newt Scamander, who embarks on an adventure in 1926 New York. In our cover image (see the full image below), you get a first look at Scamander, his pivotal briefcase in hand, standing inside the entrance of the majestic art deco-influenced Magical Congress of the United States of America (or MACUSA), which is the American version of the Ministry of Magic that’s housed inside the Woolworth Building in the film. Coming along for the ride are Katherine Waterston (Steve Jobs), Colin Farrell (True Detective) and Samantha Morton (Minority Report). 

So what’s this movie actually about? What are the characters? How will Fantastic Beasts differ from the Potter films? What creatures can we expect? And what are American wizards like, anyway? We’ll have all that, interviews with the cast and producers, plus first photos from the set, and more.

I love how much work she's put into this script! Instead of muggle we get "nomaj", and instead of the Ministry for Magic we get the Magical Congress of the United States of America. This sounds so promising and I can't wait to watch it!

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, Countess said:

Has anyone gone to see this yet? :o I watched it earlier today and really loved it, I was surprised and impressed! <3 

I saw it yesterday, it was good! Not as good as the original Potter films, but it was a good introduction to this new part of the franchise. I guessed the final twist from the start though :P 

Spoiler

There's theories that Ariana Dumbledore was an Obscurus, which makes so much sense!

38 minutes ago, trashmagic said:

I saw it yesterday, it was good! Not as good as the original Potter films, but it was a good introduction to this new part of the franchise. I guessed the final twist from the start though :P 

Hide contents

There's theories that Ariana Dumbledore was an Obscurus, which makes so much sense!

Oooooh, did you really? I'm still confused about that final twist tbh:

Spoiler

Like did Graves ever really exist and Grindelwald was using a Polyjuice Potion on him or was he just a completely made up person? 

I never picked up on the Ariana theory tho, but that actually makes total sense now I've looked into it a bit more!

I'm actually really excited to see where they go with this franchise, it's a really cool change to not know anything about the direction of the characters when we knew pretty much everything that was gonna happen with the Potter films. :P 

1 hour ago, Countess said:

Oooooh, did you really? I'm still confused about that final twist tbh:

Hide contents

Like did Graves ever really exist and Grindelwald was using a Polyjuice Potion on him or was he just a completely made up person? 

I never picked up on the Ariana theory tho, but that actually makes total sense now I've looked into it a bit more!

I'm actually really excited to see where they go with this franchise, it's a really cool change to not know anything about the direction of the characters when we knew pretty much everything that was gonna happen with the Potter films. :P 

Spoiler

I'm not entirely sure, though I think it's likely that Graves was a real person at some time - there's no way that Grindelwald could have suddenly come over and been employed so high up in MACUSA so quickly. I think Graves was real and Grindelwald probably killed him and then assumed his identity. 

I agree! I didn't think of it either, but it ties into what was wrong with her and how she died.

Me too! I love not knowing what will happen next and how things are going to change. All we know for the next one is that it's set in France (I think) and will feature Dumbledore!

12 hours ago, trashmagic said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Me too! I love not knowing what will happen next and how things are going to change. All we know for the next one is that it's set in France (I think) and will feature Dumbledore!

Yasss, I'm so ready for Dumbledore's return! :excited: I think at this time he was working as a Transfigurations teacher so I'm not sure how we'll get to France, but I really like the idea of each film being set in a different country. I'm intrigued to learn more about this Lestrange woman as well, hopefully she has a big role in the next one. ;) 

9 hours ago, Countess said:

Yasss, I'm so ready for Dumbledore's return! :excited: I think at this time he was working as a Transfigurations teacher so I'm not sure how we'll get to France, but I really like the idea of each film being set in a different country. I'm intrigued to learn more about this Lestrange woman as well, hopefully she has a big role in the next one. ;) 

Me too! The next FB film is set in the year that Voldemort is born, they probably won't make any sort of reference to it but it's still cool. JK also said that the last Fantastic Beasts film will end in 1945, which is the year of the duel between Grindelwald + Dumbledore. The Chamber of Secrets was opened by Tom Riddle in 1943, so it's likely that they'll mention it at some point, probably in the Daily Prophet or something! :excited:I'm sooo interested to hear about the link that Leda has, the Lestrange family are so interesting. 

On 11/22/2016 at 11:07 PM, trashmagic said:

Me too! The next FB film is set in the year that Voldemort is born, they probably won't make any sort of reference to it but it's still cool. JK also said that the last Fantastic Beasts film will end in 1945, which is the year of the duel between Grindelwald + Dumbledore. The Chamber of Secrets was opened by Tom Riddle in 1943, so it's likely that they'll mention it at some point, probably in the Daily Prophet or something! :excited:I'm sooo interested to hear about the link that Leda has, the Lestrange family are so interesting. 

Oh wow, interesting! Well we know that Dumbledore was keeping some tabs on Voldemort as a young boy so maybe there'll be some little hint to it in the film somewhere? The Chamber of Secrets link is interesting too...I actually saw a theory that plotted that it might have been Newt who gave Hagrid the egg that hatched Aragog in the first place, so maybe that could work into the plot somehow, especially if Newt is around to study the Basilisk or something? All we know about the person who found Aragog was that it was a "traveller" who kept the egg in his pocket and took him to England so it could fit the description.

8 hours ago, Countess said:

Oh wow, interesting! Well we know that Dumbledore was keeping some tabs on Voldemort as a young boy so maybe there'll be some little hint to it in the film somewhere? The Chamber of Secrets link is interesting too...I actually saw a theory that plotted that it might have been Newt who gave Hagrid the egg that hatched Aragog in the first place, so maybe that could work into the plot somehow, especially if Newt is around to study the Basilisk or something? All we know about the person who found Aragog was that it was a "traveller" who kept the egg in his pocket and took him to England so it could fit the description.

I never thought of this, that would be SUCH a clever link if it was true! I love how intricately JK ties all the plots together, I only realised last year that the Vanishing Cabinet from HBP is the one that Peeves drops in CoS and breaks! :stretcher:

1 hour ago, trashmagic said:

I never thought of this, that would be SUCH a clever link if it was true! I love how intricately JK ties all the plots together, I only realised last year that the Vanishing Cabinet from HBP is the one that Peeves drops in CoS and breaks! :stretcher:

Right?! Especially if we saw some of the backstory of Aragog and where he came from cos he's a pretty mysterious character as it is now, all he's really there to do is scare Ron. :stretcher: And omfg, right! Especially with the horcruxes, they were literally teased from like the second book onwards... :shocked: 

1 hour ago, Countess said:

Right?! Especially if we saw some of the backstory of Aragog and where he came from cos he's a pretty mysterious character as it is now, all he's really there to do is scare Ron. :stretcher: And omfg, right! Especially with the horcruxes, they were literally teased from like the second book onwards... :shocked: 

She is soooo clever! :hail:

• YAAASSS 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2017 at 2:08 AM, JD82 said:

Really wasn't impressed with this and I really wanted to like it. I'm a huge fan of the HP movies but....

636047637808938468-1089160161_tumblr_inline_o0x9dlrUxV1r93sn3_500.gif

...what was I saying?!

You're not the first person I've spoken to who hasn't enjoyed it! I'm surprised, I definitely didn't think it was a 100% perfect movie but objectively I found it a lot better than the original franchise. :P 

6 minutes ago, Countess said:

You're not the first person I've spoken to who hasn't enjoyed it! I'm surprised, I definitely didn't think it was a 100% perfect movie but objectively I found it a lot better than the original franchise. :P 

WHAT?

Blasphemy!

It was objectively BAD

the cocroach scene was just the worst

HP remains flawless from beginning to end and I refuse to include this piece if shit as part of its world. Amem