I wanted to create a thread that offers space to and showcases the music and talents of established contemporary (and post millennial, 21st century) female artists working to the immediate left of the Pop mainstream who are often (though not exclusively) on smaller labels, with smaller budgets, who have fanbases, yet have not directly crossed over into public consciousness.

I know that certain gays are atypically switched off by the presence of guitars in music and whilst that’s not necessarily what alt pop is about, that is often a staple of indie pop. In which case no hard feelings if this thread is too far to the left for you.

Whilst I do not think this type of artist would be able to carry and sustain a thread on their own, I am hoping they may be able to together and that this thread (in time), may be viewed upon and thought of as a warm, welcoming and receptive space for any and all alt. gays on #PHF whose mood and musical taste sometimes leans toward the left.

To hopefully get the ball rolling, it’s only right that I offer up some examples of the types of artists I am referring to. (For the sake of clarity, all a group here requires is to have a female lead singer):

Angel Olsen:

Holiday Sidewinder:

Skye Ferriera:

Soccer Mommy:

Weyes Blood:

Aldous Harding:

Pale Waves:

Ethel Cain:

Zella Day:

Geowulf:

Hazel English: 

Tennis:

Widowspeak:

Caroline Polachek:

Rina Sawayama:

FKA Twigs:

Kat Von D :

Agnes Obel:

Dum Dum Girls:

Poppy:

Edited by Dax Diameter
Refinement

• Poison ivy changed the title to 21st Century Alt Pop, Indie and Leftfield Female Artists + Girl Based Groups | General Discussion Thread
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Poison ivy changed the title to Alt Pop, Indie and Leftfield Female Artists + Girl Based Groups | General Discussion Thread
On 5/1/2023 at 12:23 AM, Dax Diameter said:

Weyes Blood duetting - Live on the Caroline Polachek solo track “Butterfly Net”, from Caroline’s current album, “Desire, I Want To Turn Into You”:

Caroline Polachek - “Desire, I Want To Turn into You” The Album:

Caroline has an insane voice and the harmony with Weyes is great! Her album is definitely worth the listen.

• Like 1

I would not be surprised if the recent Avril Lavigne leak “Psycopath”, ultimately shows up on a future Pale Waves album, as (like “Jealousy” above and “Lies”) it is that specific sound their A&R team want from them.

Lies:

Psychopath:

Edited by Dax Diameter
Update

• 1 month later...

Hardly new, but hidden layers of pop loveliness:

Dubstar

”You Were Never In Love”:

“I Will Be Your Girlfriend”:

“Not So Manic Now”:

“ I (Friday Night)”:

“Anywhere”: