Sampled Music

Cypher

Some pretty popular modern-day songs originate their catchy melodies or lyrics from songs that have previously been released.
Just to list a few:
Flo Rida - Right Round
The Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)
Kanye West - Famous
Kristinia DeBarge - Goodbye
Wale - Chillin'

What are your thoughts on songs that become popular that also use samples?
What are some of your favourites? Least favourites?

Well, sometimes it's a very good combination. For example, massive Madonna hit "Hung Up" sampled Abba's "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!"

I really like it when modern stars try to revive the old tunes like Hilary did with Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" in "Reach Out"

• YAAASSS 1

saw a LOT of this stuff the other day in twitter, sharing my favs since there are so many.

Gaga, Brenty, Katy (my fav), beyoncé (Can't believe this one omfg..) click to see all the tweets featuring ariana, nicki, Rihanna, Drake + more

I'm okay with it but sometimes they sample the whole song... it's disgusting, I don't get why Beyoncé did that with run the world

I think when done right, sampling can be really cool, especially if you know the song they're sampling! But oversampling does gets annoying. 

Some samples that are done right: (these ones add them to the song, not just used as a main beat which I think is annoying.)

• Lana's Ooh Baby sampling Sexual Healing
  • Gaga's Alejandro sampling some violin score from 1904
  • You and I sampling We Will Rock You

I also saw something on twitter that proved literally every song on Lemonade is sampling other songs, which is so annoying and uncreative imo. Literally almost no tracks were original beats. That's oversampling and that's exactly what you don't do!

• YAAASSS 1

7 minutes ago, Third Eye said:

saw a LOT of this stuff the other day in twitter, sharing my favs since there are so many.

These are the examples of a total misinterpretation tbh. People tend to look for similarities too much sometimes. The same was with Miley's "My Darling". Because she sang "Stand by me, oh my darling, stand by me" people considered it sampling this Ben E King's song...

• YAAASSS 1

7 hours ago, Tweener said:

Well, sometimes it's a very good combination. For example, massive Madonna hit "Hung Up" sampled Abba's "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!"

I really like it when modern stars try to revive the old tunes like Hilary did with Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" in "Reach Out"

Good examples! I agree with your choices!

6 hours ago, Tweener said:

These are the examples of a total misinterpretation tbh. People tend to look for similarities too much sometimes. The same was with Miley's "My Darling". Because she sang "Stand by me, oh my darling, stand by me" people considered it sampling this Ben E King's song...

:stretcher: I can't with the Toxic one.

• YAAASSS 1

11 hours ago, Tweener said:

I think most of these are confirmed real apart from the Snoop Dogg one tho.

Let's be real tho, Timbaland is the king of shady samples. :hail: 

• YAAASSS 1

2 hours ago, Countess said:

I think most of these are confirmed real apart from the Snoop Dogg one tho.

Let's be real tho, Timbaland is the king of shady samples. :hail: 

This is why he vanished into obscurity. :stretcher: