Female pop/rock (whatever the genre is) artists?

adirgeforher

So I have really random taste in music, trip hop to twee to symphonic metal-- but I always have a soft spot for females with guitars.

But I really kinda miss lady pop rock? Or whatever genre that is. Not Avril Lavigne, but hmm...I don't know exactly. So much Disney... Anyone new with these arenas? I've probably heard some of them, but...not quite the same. Most of these are mainstream, I guess. I'm just looking to see if there are any new artists with a similar sound.

I feel the need to list my favourite songs/artists:

Michelle Branch- "Life on Mars" cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LrHqBA8k6k Are You Happy Now/Til I get Over You

Lillix, Skye Sweetnam (yes!), Marion Raven, Kelly Clarkson, The Veronicas (2nd album though), Aly & AJ, Fefe Dobson, BarlowGirl, old Demi and even Ashlee Simpson.

There used to be so many more I listened to when I was a little tween but I grew out of them. Like Tuuli. Still...I still listen to Josie & The Pussycats, but they're Letters to Cleo; I wouldn't put them with the same sound as above, either. (Other female fronted bands/singers that I have consistently listened to like Garbage, theSTART, Sleater-Kinney, No Doubt, Within Temptation, Katy Rose etc, very different sounds)

I guess it's not mainstream anymore, in favour of all the dubstep and RedOne beats that are infused into everything T_T Do you guys know what I mean?

Other ones I liked - Vanilla Ninja, Killing Heidi, Ana Johnsson. Specific sound, haha.

(I do like pretty much anything with a lady and a guitar, though) Looong post sorry! Y'all regretting I came back yet?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sleater-Kinney & Within Temptation :hail:

I'm addicted to female fronted bands,  I can give you a list of all the ones I like, but it'll be a mix of pretty much every genre, mostly various sub genres rock though (like pop rock, grunge, metal, screamo, alternative etc.)

List list list! I can look at your last FM but this is more fun (if you have time haha.) There used to be this amazing blog I used to find artists with, but I think it's gone :( it was like, girls with guitars or something

List list list! I can look at your last FM but this is more fun (if you have time haha.) There used to be this amazing blog I used to find artists with, but I think it's gone :( it was like, girls with guitars or something

There's a lot of bands I haven't scrobbled ;)

I'm working on the list now, but if my daughter wakes up soon, I'll just post it later/tomorrow morning  :)

I'm working on the list now, but if my daughter wakes up soon, I'll just post it later/tomorrow morning  :)

No worries! How old is your daughter?

I've been on Last FM for ten years

It won't let me normal reply, I need the party hat emoticon. Ha.

@adirgeforher cool to know that you like Marion Raven! Some of her best songs are kept unreleased and her shelved album Nevermore is her masterpiece, I love it.

I also love Lillx, such a shame some songs were only released on Japan :(

Hmm which ones? Like Heads Will Roll?

Lillix - Tigelily (Japan Bonus Tracks):

10. It's About Time (Remix)

11. The Outlaw (Introduction)

12. The Outlaw

Lillix - Inside the Hollow

14. Get Away (iTunes Bonus Track)

And these are the rare tracks I have by Marion Raven:

Nevermore (Shelved and unleaked album, including japanese bonus tracks):

2sax8yd.png

Unreleased songs and demos:

[img width=650 height=281] zwc679.png

Guest Natalia

If you go listen to The Runaways and Joan Jett & The Black Hearts, you'll get a real good feel for early girl fronted bands and it'll help your taste twist a little bit. Hole/Courtney Love too.

And these are the rare tracks I have by Marion Raven:

Nevermore (Shelved and unleaked album, including japanese bonus tracks):

2sax8yd.png

Unreleased songs and demos:

[img width=650 height=281] zwc679.png

amazing album indeed (Nevermore)

do you happen to have the lyrics by any chance?

i'm having a hard time understanding some of the things she says

English is not my first language :/

amazing album indeed (Nevermore)

do you happen to have the lyrics by any chance?

i'm having a hard time understanding some of the things she says

English is not my first language :/

I'm having a hard time as well with some songs, english is not my mother language and her pronunciation is weird in certain songs :( I'll PM you a few I did transcript :)