The Little Mermaid (2015)

Main Pop Girl

little-mermaid-disney.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Sofia Coppola is negotiating to direct The Little Mermaid, a live-action version of the classic Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale for Universal Pictures and Working Title partners Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner. Caroline Thompson of Edward Scissorhands fame is rewriting the script, about the mermaid willing to make a Faustian bargain to live on land after she falls in love. Previous drafts were done by Fifty Shades Of Grey scribe Kelly Marcel and Shame scribe Abi Morgan, and Joe Wright was at one time eyeing this to direct.

The intention is to move quickly. This is a departure for Coppola in that her projects are usually focused on adult themes. She

Omfg I'm so sick of all those fairy tale movies, they all try to hard to be 'dark'. In the past few years there's been Alice In Wonderland, Hanzel & Gretel, Jack The Giant Slayer, Snow With & The Huntman, Red Ridding Hood, I'm sure there were others. They're also doing Tarzan & Peter Pan. Bitches need to stop with this mess... and all the fucking comic book movies. That shit is getting old. The only good ones were Watchmen & The Punisher :morning:

Omfg I'm so sick of all those fairy tale movies, they all try to hard to be 'dark'. In the past few years there's been Alice In Wonderland, Hanzel & Gretel, Jack The Giant Slayer, Snow With & The Huntman, Red Ridding Hood, I'm sure there were others. They're also doing Tarzan & Peter Pan. Bitches need to stop with this mess... and all the fucking comic book movies. That shit is getting old. The only good ones were Watchmen & The Punisher :morning:

RIGHT. Like, I get why studios are doing it, because everybody knows these fairytales and it's obvious they're gonna sell well. It's the same as the superhero movies; they're all big-budget blockbusters with a good cast that the studios know are gonna sell consistently even if they're not well written in the slightest. But eventually the GP is gonna get super bored of this constant barrage of remakes and give up on them all tbh.

I'm here for it if it's different.

I want to see the original story where she commits suicide at the end

That happens in the original story? :shocked: That's incredibly depressing! So she never got with Prince Eric? :'(

That happens in the original story? :shocked: That's incredibly depressing! So she never got with Prince Eric? :'(

Yeah, the original story is very dark compared to Disney's version. The mermaid's bargain is that she will feel excruciating pain every time she takes a step on land and she commits suicide, or dies by drowning because she wants to go back to her home (I can't remember which), in the end.

If it's based on the original story it will be very different to Disney's.

Yeah, the original story is very dark compared to Disney's version. The mermaid's bargain is that she will feel excruciating pain every time she takes a step on land and she commits suicide, or dies by drowning because she wants to go back to her home (I can't remember which), in the end.

If it's based on the original story it will be very different to Disney's.

Omg, that's dreadful. :'( Silly bitch tho! Eric isn't gonna fall for you while you're writhing in pain on the ground sis! :vacuum:

I'll be interested to see how Sofia works with that story tho. I feel like she's probably going to update it somehow for a modern day audience, but in that case she'll have to rework the story a fair bit. I don't think I would fall for a prince and a mermaid hanging out in 2014. :morning:

I want a darker version of the Disney movies tbh, what we were getting was a "darker" production, but not darker scripts. I really keep waiting for an Alice Madness Returns type of movie  :vacuum:

YOUR TEA IS SO ON POINT HERE. :hail: I would loooooove a movie based on that game, the character design is so amazing. It seemed like they were working on one too, but it looks like plans for that fell through along with that version of Alice that Marilyn Manson was working on. :'( I wish we'd gotten those instead of the Disney one tbh.

YOUR TEA IS SO ON POINT HERE. :hail: I would loooooove a movie based on that game, the character design is so amazing. It seemed like they were working on one too, but it looks like plans for that fell through along with that version of Alice that Marilyn Manson was working on. :'( I wish we'd gotten those instead of the Disney one tbh.

they were, but then they were out of money, so they sold the script and everything is shelved, however this one  was inspired in the first game. Then they started a kicksarter campaign for a new game calle OZombie based on the movie Oz, but they all were Zombies and Dorothy was a Zombie slayer  :hail:, but it's shelved cuz they don't have the $$$. Finally they are going to do an animated shorts about the third Alice game called Alice in Otherlands, where alice goes through different paintings and stuff, I'm essited

they were, but then they were out of money, so they sold the script and everything is shelved, however this one  was inspired in the first game. Then they started a kicksarter campaign for a new game calle OZombie based on the movie Oz, but they all were Zombies and Dorothy was a Zombie slayer  :hail:, but it's shelved cuz they don't have the $$$. Finally they are going to do an animated shorts about the third Alice game called Alice in Otherlands, where alice goes through different paintings and stuff, I'm essited

This new animated one is reminding me of Super Mario 64 tho. :shocked: I hope it actually gets made unlike all the others they had planned. :'(

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Coppola has left the project!

It’s been over a year since we heard the news that Sofia Coppola would direct a new version of The Little Mermaid for Universal Pictures and Working Title, and we’ve heard pretty much nothing about the project since. Which makes today’s news kind of non-news: Deadline reports that Coppola has exited the project, citing creative differences. The Lost in Translation filmmaker had been tasked with crafting a new live-action take on the Hans Christian Anderson tale, but it appears that we won’t be seeing her vision after all.

Per Variety, She and Universal differed when it came to casting Ariel. Coppola was keen on newcomer Maya Thurman Hawke, the daughter of Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman, but the studio was wary about the choice.

Despite Coppola’s exit, Universal and Working Title are still moving forward with the project, with Caroline Thompson (Edward Scissorhands) having penned the most recent draft of the script after Kelly Marcel (Saving Mr. Banks) and Abi Morgan (Shame) wrote previous versions. Joe Wright was at one time developing The Little Mermaid as a directorial project, but it’s possible that he got his “fantasy film” bug out of his system with Pan, and he most recently entered negotiations to direct the drama The Lifeboat so I wouldn’t necessarily hold out hope for him to return.

I can't say I'm too upset, I honestly don't think she's the best director. :morning:

So wait, are we getting a new director?

Yup! The script is finished but Coppola's dropped out of the project so they're trying to find someone new. Joe Wright, who didAtonement and Pride and Prejudice, is potentially up for it, which will probably mean we'll get Kiera Knightley as Ariel. :stretcher: