RuPaul’s Drag Race: Down Under

365MM

4 hours ago, Skinny Legend said:

YAS! :hail: The rumours have been around for ages but it's great to have it confirmed! I just wish one of them was a permanent judge...I wonder who else will be on the panel besides Michelle and Ru?

Taika is a cool guest judge too! I'm excited for this season. :yaskween: 

I know, right? Gonna be great!

Taika...I’m less thrilled about. Glad you’re happy for him, but he’s said some things in interviews that have rubbed me the wrong way. Whatever- one guest lol! 

Crazy that UK ended what, a month or so ago, the IS final was last week, Ru is probably already packing for Australia right now, and Spain announced their queens! So much drag!

11 hours ago, 365MM said:

I know, right? Gonna be great!

Taika...I’m less thrilled about. Glad you’re happy for him, but he’s said some things in interviews that have rubbed me the wrong way. Whatever- one guest lol! 

Crazy that UK ended what, a month or so ago, the IS final was last week, Ru is probably already packing for Australia right now, and Spain announced their queens! So much drag!

Oh really? I don’t know much about him personally tbh. But I liked Thor: Ragnarok and some of the movies I’ve seen him in!

I know! To be honest it’s really too much for me to handle...I always end up watching just half a season and then bailing because I get overwhelmed with how much there is. It’s crazy that this is what’s selling now!

3 hours ago, Skinny Legend said:

Oh really? I don’t know much about him personally tbh. But I liked Thor: Ragnarok and some of the movies I’ve seen him in!

I know! To be honest it’s really too much for me to handle...I always end up watching just half a season and then bailing because I get overwhelmed with how much there is. It’s crazy that this is what’s selling now!

Yeah, a few things. As example, I don’t have the quote/interview off hand, but to paraphrase, “I’ll destroy your cannon in a second, baby!” Referring to the Marvel history/fandom for his next Thor movie. I though Ragnorok was ok, but I don’t like his disrespect to the fandoms/history.

Idk, my geekier side coming out. Maybe he’ll be a fun judge! 

Haha! Yep! Drag overkill, & you don’t even know the half of it! I have the WOW channel for the non-USA drag- Holland! Thailand! Canada! And there’s  dozens of former race contestants that have short little flash series! ? JUST...SO...MUCH...DRAG...! 

3 hours ago, 365MM said:

Yeah, a few things. As example, I don’t have the quote/interview off hand, but to paraphrase, “I’ll destroy your cannon in a second, baby!” Referring to the Marvel history/fandom for his next Thor movie. I though Ragnorok was ok, but I don’t like his disrespect to the fandoms/history.

Idk, my geekier side coming out. Maybe he’ll be a fun judge! 

Haha! Yep! Drag overkill, & you don’t even know the half of it! I have the WOW channel for the non-USA drag- Holland! Thailand! Canada! And there’s  dozens of former race contestants that have short little flash series! ? JUST...SO...MUCH...DRAG...! 

Ahhh, I see. Idk...One of the main reasons I like the Marvel movies is they are pretty consistent with their canon but I know it must be hard when there's so many different directors and creators with so many different visions of how they want things to go. Like Thor cutting his hair and losing his eye in one movie, then growing it all back and magically finding a new eye (along with 20 kgs) in the very next one. :stretcher: I hope he doesn't go too far off the beaten path!

Oh yeah, it's way too much! :stretcher: I can handle international versions of Drag Race, but then you have All Stars, Celebrity, Christmas specials, the reality shows like Alyssa's or the Vegas one, and now one about Eurovision and live singing?! It's just too much. Idk how people have the time in their days to watch them all.

So, the premier was pretty good. Strange how so three of the queens work together. Uh, Taika wasn’t a judge- just part of the maxi challenge and not in person. Kinda strange but he wasn’t actually all that bad. Lots of shade

...no really memorable outfits, ppl, or lines yet, but fun enough start. Snatch game next week!

2nd ep- Snatch Game, Kylie and Dannii Minogue!

Unfortunately, the guest spots are super short and video conferenced. Getting disappointing. 

The snatch game? One good performance, one ok, and the rest were pretty terrible. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually enjoying it all so far! It's a little more low budget than past seasons but I feel like that works for this...it's kind of more homely in a way. There is something quite Australian about it so I'm not sure how many of the jokes are landing overseas.

@365MM, I do have to agree...The Snatch game was a bit of a mess. Didn't think Bindi Irwin was worse than Lizzo though. ?

• YAAASSS 1

7 minutes ago, Skinny Legend said:

There is something quite Australian about it so I'm not sure how many of the jokes are landing overseas.

@365MM, I do have to agree...The Snatch game was a bit of a mess. Didn't think Bindi Irwin was worse than Lizzo though. ?

Well, watching in USA, there’s at least one or two references/jokes each ep that I don’t get. ?‍♂️

and that Lizzo? Agreed! I could not understand how Coco survived! And Art’s breakdown leaving? ? 

12 hours ago, 365MM said:

Well, watching in USA, there’s at least one or two references/jokes each ep that I don’t get. ?‍♂️

and that Lizzo? Agreed! I could not understand how Coco survived! And Art’s breakdown leaving? ? 

I hear you! :cackle: Even I've missed one or two of the references I think and I've lived here most of my life!

Lizzo was a total mess, and we all know that if it was a white queen doing that she'd be cancelled for racism in a second. :yeah: Dolly wasn't good either. Bindi wasn't really funny, but at least she came in with a strong concept and a rhythm of what she wanted to do.

Art's breakdown was honestly insane... :stretcher: It gave me Strictly Ballroom vibes (another Aussie reference Idk if anyone will get!). I'm honestly surprised at how harsh the judging is on this show, and how seriously the girls are taking everything...I can't even think of a US girl who had a meltdown like that when she was eliminated, and they would be going in with a higher follower count and more pressure than any of the Aussie girls!

So while ep 3 was sorta unmemorable, ep 4, “Rucycled” was crazy! Begins with a crazy, half-explained, half-justified surprise, and then non-stop drama ‘till the end. One really funny design drawing too lol! 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finale aired and it was weird. The finalist chat seemed more like an episode of Oprah than drag. Lots more bitchy-drama. Less footage of the practices. Nice appearance from Olivia Newton-John. Surprised by who won, but Ru’s choices this last year have been a bit of head-scratchers (at least for me and my wife ?‍♂️). Bit of a meh season overall.