Jake Shears | 2nd Solo Album “Last Man Dancing” | June 2nd 2023 | + Scissor Sisters: General Discussion Thread/ Master Post

Poison ivy

Jake Shears “Last Man Dancing”:
June 2nd 2023
kLzujN7.png

Jake Shears returns with his 2nd solo album on June 2nd 2023.  Jake was the lead singer of American (mostly gay), pop/ rock group - Scissor Sisters who became better known by pop fans out with their home country of the U.S.

Scissor Sisters released 4 studio albums between 2004 to 2012. They broke out of the underground New York, Gay Club Scene.

After dabbling in harder edged dance music, they embraced the mainstream pop scene in 2004 - then released their self titled debut album “Scissor Sisters”.

Despite being American, their biggest markets were multiple countries across the continent of Europe (where they were embraced and much loved). In the U.S. the Scissor Sisters paved the way for Adam Lambert to later be accepted as a breakthrough LGBTQ+ artist (before Adam himself passed that baton on to Kim Petras - as the doors to mainstream U.S. societal acceptance open ever wider):

Scissor Sisters also scored an Australian No. 1 in 2006 with their 2nd album “Ta-Dah”s lead single - “I Don’t Feel Like Dancin” (feat. Elton John who more recently worked with Dua Lipa on her U.K. No.1 collab “Cold Cold Heart”).

Scissor Sisters went on to have two further studio albums “Night Work” (2010) and “Magic Hour” (2012), prior to splitting - and Jake (the primary lead singer/ songwriter) going solo.

Jake’s debut, self-titled solo album “Jake Shears” was released in 2018, before going on to become a U.K. Top 20 Hit.

Jake now returns with his 2nd solo dance album titled “Last Man Dancing”. Jake’s new album will also include a duet feature with Kylie Minogue, titled “Voices”.

Though Jake’s track “Devil Came Down The Dance Floor” features session singer Amber Martin on sole lead vocals, Jake still opted to include it on his album as he preferred her vocal take on that particular track (more than his own).

Jake and Kylie Minogue are personal friends and both Jake (and his former Scissor Sisters band mate Baby Daddy), wrote the lead single “I Believe In You” from Kylie’s 2004 “Ultimate Kylie” (a Greatest Hits Retrospective).

That track has since gone on to be considered (by many), a classic staple of Kylie’s discography. The Kylie song “White Diamond” was also later written by Jake (but remains unreleased in its original dance/ pop form).

Kylie later contributed vocals to the Scissor Sisters track “Any Which Way. Jake returned the favor by co-writing the track “Too Much” for Kylie’s “Aphrodite” album.

In 2015, Jake and Kylie duetted on the Nervo produced track “The Other Boys”. Jake later went on to become the support act on Kylie’s 2018 “Golden” Tour in support of his self titled debut album.

———————————————————————————————

“Last Man Dancing” Album Track List:

01. Too Much Music
02. Do the Television
03. Voices (feat. Kylie Minogue)
04. I Used To Be In Love
05. Really Big Deal
06. Last Man Dancing
07. 8 Ball (feat. Le Chev)
08. Devil Came Down the Dance Floor (feat. Amber Martin)
09. Mess of Me
10. Doses (feat. Big Freedia)
11. Radio Eyes
12. Diamonds Don’t Burn

Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks:

13. Meltdown [D2C Exclusive Bonus Track]
14. Do The Television (Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs’ Primetime Mix) [D2C Exclusive Bonus Track]

Link One:

https://jakeshears.komi.io/?fbclid=PAAaYyWHPK3YALNHKCU6ZG1--X3Wlg8onJlIRmYsiQ16z0N-bEiThr3TwOu-U

Link Two:

https://jakeshears.ochre.store/release/368189-jake-shears-last-man-dancing

Music From Current 2023 Era:

”Too Much Music”:

“I Used To Be In Love”:

“Do The Television”:

“Devil Came Down The Dance Floor (feat. Amber Martin)”

“Too Much Music (The Reflex Revision)”: 12” Extended Club Mix

Scissor Sisters Group Era (2001 - 2017):

DDGlnmN.jpg

Left to Right: Baby Daddy, Ana Matronic, Jake Shears, Paddy Boom (later replaced by Randy Real - Not Pictured), Del Marquis.———————————————————————————————
Select Scissor Sisters Back Catalogue Albums:

Album One “Scissor Sisters” (2004):

Album Three “Night Work” (2010):

Select Scissor Sisters Back Catalogue Singles, 2004 - 2012:

”I Don’t Feel Like Dancin” (feat. Elton John)

”Take Your Mama”:

“Let’s Have A Kiki”:

“Filthy Gorgeous”:

“Comfortably Numb”:

“Kiss You Off”:

“Only The Horses”:

“Land Of A Thousand Words”:

“Fire With Fire”:

“Any Which Way”:

Jake Shears (Solo Career) With Kylie on production duo Nervo’s “The Other Boys” (2015):

Jake Shears Debut Self Titled Solo Album (2018):

Jake Shears ‘B’ Sides E.P. (2019):

Debut Solo Album Era Videos, 2018:

“Creep City”:

”Big Bushy Mustache”:

Did Scissor Sisters get traction in your world region? if so what songs broke through to radio, that you remember most?

Edited by Dax Diameter
Update

• Poison ivy changed the title to Jake Shears | 2nd Solo Album “Last Man Dancing” | June 2nd 2023 | + Scissor Sisters: General Discussion Thread/ Master Post
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like Jake and the Scissor Sisters and I've always loved how they throw back older artists like Elton, David Bowie or Donna Summer. With that said I listened to about half of this album and the only track I'd listen to again is the one with Big Freedia :/ It's not a bad album, there's just not really any standouts for me.

And I have to say that he wasted the Kylie collab on that Voices song. Why bring her in to sing just five words? :stretcher: I wonder if this is an older song they worked on together that he just reworked for this album.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Leaving said:

I really like Jake and the Scissor Sisters and I've always loved how they throw back older artists like Elton, David Bowie or Donna Summer. With that said I listened to about half of this album and the only track I'd listen to again is the one with Big Freedia :/ It's not a bad album, there's just not really any standouts for me.

And I have to say that he wasted the Kylie collab on that Voices song. Why bring her in to sing just five words? :stretcher: I wonder if this is an older song they worked on together that he just reworked for this album.

I think their friendship remains current and is pretty solid. Though have not heard any indication it’s an older track. It’s a shame you are not enjoying the album, I personally have found lots to love on there.

21 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

I think their friendship remains current and is pretty solid. Though have not heard any indication it’s an older track. It’s a shame you are not enjoying the album, I personally have found lots to love on there.

I just don't get why he'd invite her onto the song only to sing a few words. She should have had her own verse at least!

• Like 1