Anxiety - How do you deal?

Volcanion

I figured I could get some good information and responses from my anonymous internet gays and OG PHF members.

(No crazy flaming/trolls pls) Let's try and keep this serious.

Lately I've been having crazy stress and anxiety over silly little things. Mostly relationship driven.

What do you guys do to cope with your anxieties? (Apart from medication)

Do you have specific coping mechanisms?

• Like 1

I’m a little bit like that, that’s the reason I can’t get more weight, I have 56kg (I don’t know the conversion into pounds ?). But I can’t get more then that since I was 15 years old. 

Its a little bit hard to deal with anxiety but sometimes I try to go for a walk, just me, my music and, sometimes, my dog. And I can think during the walking and I try to find solutions for the problems that are worrying me, and if I don’t find them I just try to see what I can learn from that, since everything happens for a reason. 

Other times I just try to read or play with my dogs, just to try to forget about it and, eventually, everything fades away. 

Edited by UnknownBoyPT
  • Like 2

My doctor decided not to give me any meds for the time being, so here are some methods I use to cope with it! :D

1. If you feel like biting your nails (which is a very common unhealthy coping mechanism), try to get something to chew on, preferably made of rubber so that you don't hurt your teeth. Also, rubber is less likely to give you an infection. 

2. Anxiety is sometimes triggered by overthinking. I'd suggest you find an activity that keeps your mind distracted from any malicious thoughts! I personally do dancing and reading, but that depends a lot on the person. 

3. Surround yourself with positivity. Really, I cannot stress this enough. Many of my friends don't feel like listening to cheerful music when they're feeling anxious, so they go for depressing songs instead in an attempt to match their state of mind. However, I've noticed things work the other way around for me. When I'm feeling anxious, I try to listen to happy hardcore or mellow music. 

4. If your anxiety stems from a relationship, you can either talk it out with your partner or convince yourself that you should trust that person and not let the little things get to you. I can't give much advice on this because I've never dated though, but I've noticed the methods I use to keep my friendships healthy can be applied to romantic relationships too. 

Hope this helps! If you ever want to talk, feel free to PM me! <3

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Volcanion said:

I figured I could get some good information and responses from my anonymous internet gays and OG PHF members.

(No crazy flaming/trolls pls) Let's try and keep this serious.

Lately I've been having crazy stress and anxiety over silly little things. Mostly relationship driven.

What do you guys do to cope with your anxieties? (Apart from medication)

Do you have specific coping mechanisms?

It's hard to tell without a little bit of backstory. Don't want to be nosy, but it would help to understand a bit better what your problem is.

It's not the same to deal with a bad breakup, the loss of someone or toxic people.

DM me if you feel like sharing privately.

• Like 1

I'm planning a big move to another country soon and like you it's been giving me a lot of anxiety. The annoying thing is that it keeps me up at night stressing, but then the next day I wake up I'm too tired to really do any planning so I end up just lying around all day doing nothing which just makes the anxiety worse. :cackle:

In terms of coping mechanisms, I can't say I've found anything that works amazingly well for me. But I do find that doing some form of physical activity (whether it's dancing, yoga or just going for a walk) can really help. It can help you burn off some of that nervous energy and I find that if you keep yourself busy enough you have less time to sit with your thoughts and go crazy.

I hope you find some peace soon boo! <3 And like @jlnsgr said, if you want to open up more either here or in PM's we're here to listen. <3 

• Like 1

Walking around with music in your ears is a great solution. I used to be very stressful about everything, but then I started walking and I started feeling so much better. You just have to find your best time and route. I like walking around my city when it's dark and lonely, like around 3 a.m. I also love walking by day in the nature - forests, lakes etc. It surely helps a lot. I used to walk like that to the point of reaching 28km distance tho :stretcher: but it also helps your physique.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Volcanion said:

You guys are all awesome people.

"Internet friends" are always the coolest. <3

We just try to help, at least that's my idea of living. I'm happy when everybody around me is also happy, and when I see someone sad or similar, I just try to help.

As everybody said, we are all different and act in different ways to each situations, so, if you need help or you don't feel okay on sharing it public just try to PM me or someone else. You're not alone and we can help each other ?

Edited by UnknownBoyPT
  • Like 2

Honestly went through a bad breakup in September and I was super depressed for months. We used to live together and worked together even after the fact of breaking up or was super hard and stressful seeing him everyday. I wasn’t eating sleeping normally or being around friends at all. I eventually found myself again through self care and love and music. Sometimes you have to realize it’s as simple as it all being in your head sometimes. Never think about the bad things or what’s the worst thing that could happen. Stop worrying about becoming happy because that will all eventually happen on it’s own without you realizing it. Maybe you could try doing things by yourself like going for jogs, walks, reading a book or just starting a journal.

• 3 months later...