Radiohead suing Lana Del Rey over copyright infringement

Ari

image.png

Lana Del Rey reveals Radiohead is suing her and want 100% of the publishing rights. They feel like Lust For Life’ album track "Get Free" copied their 1993 hit "Creep."

Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 18.35.02.png

Here are both songs so you can compare them for yourself

• Shook 1

4 hours ago, camilacabello said:

Am I the only one that thinks they don't sound alike at all  :spy:

It's the "This is my commitment, my modern manifesto" part as it sounds like the same melody as when Radiohead sing "I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo". Its been an issue since the album was released and a lot of reviews and fans commented on it too.

The funny thing is, Radiohead were sued before because Creep sounds like The Hollies song The Air That I Breathe, so is it really Radiohead's place to sue anyone for a similar sounding song? 

I don't think this will go anywhere, and they should have just accepted Lana's offer of 40% out of court.

• Like 1

I honestly never realised that they sounded similar until it was brought up, but I actually can hear it personally. I don't blame Radiohead for trying to make a quick buck since they haven't had a hit since 93, but I do think asking for 100% of the publishing when they've admitted that they copied another song (like @coolaideonfire said) is kind of ridiculous. This lawsuit might get them some funds for their retirement but it won't do much for their image. :hottie: 

• Like 2

Radiohead deny suing Lana Del Rey

Radiohead's publisher, Warner/Chappell, has since issued a statement clarifying its position.

"It's true that we've been in discussions since August of last year with Lana Del Rey's representatives," it said.

"It's clear that the verses of Get Free use musical elements found in the verses of Creep and we've requested that this be acknowledged in favour of all writers of Creep.

"To set the record straight, no lawsuit has been issued and Radiohead have not said they 'will only accept 100%' of the publishing of Get Free."

Looks like a mess waiting to happen :dealwithit:

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2018 at 12:44 PM, Ari said:

her personality and voice are amazing but all her songs remember me that I'm depressed

Damn, this is specifically why I love her so much :spy: 

---

I haven't found similarities between the songs, but... I just think it's a mess. Nothing is going to happen tho

• LMAO 1

On 5/3/2018 at 1:44 AM, Moonchild said:

Damn, this is specifically why I love her so much :spy: 

---

I haven't found similarities between the songs, but... I just think it's a mess. Nothing is going to happen tho

Apparently it all got sorted out back in January, but I have no idea if she ended up having to pay them or not... :orly:

22 hours ago, Countess said:

Apparently it all got sorted out back in January, but I have no idea if she ended up having to pay them or not... :orly:

I went on to read furthermore, and it turned out that she didn't get the song out of her platforms (all the gays who bought Lust for Life still have it anyways :dealwithit:) but also it appears that she didn't have to pay Radiohead anything, luckily :yaskween:

On 5/6/2018 at 1:30 PM, Moonchild said:

I went on to read furthermore, and it turned out that she didn't get the song out of her platforms (all the gays who bought Lust for Life still have it anyways :dealwithit:) but also it appears that she didn't have to pay Radiohead anything, luckily :yaskween:

Slay Lizzy! :hail: Maybe it was all a misunderstanding coming from their record label because it seems like Radiohead really didn't know about what was going on.

• Like 1