J.A.K.E. - Big Dream (with introduction)

J.A.K.E.

Hello! I'm new here so I guess this can double as an introduction thread! :)

I'm Jake, I'm 18 years old and I'm a music industry/production major in college. Making music is my passion, managing and publishing music is my dream. I released an album this year, and you can listen to it here while you read the rest of this post:

At my high school, all seniors do a mandatory 30+ hour project of their choice. Other students who did music usually did 3 or 4 song EPs, with just them and an acoustic guitar recorded on GarageBand. I wanted to produce a whole album.  I began the project on February 3rd, 2015, and I proposed to have 12 original songs written, composed, performed and produced by May 15th. The album those songs lived on would serve as a bit of a musical portfolio, entitled "Big Dream". 

I wrote every lyric, I sang every melody and harmony, I played every instrument (it's all MIDI, I'm a self-taught pianist) and I did all the composition on every track. 9 tracks have vocals, 3 are instrumental compositions. "Submerge" is inspired by Claude Debussy and SOPHIE, "Mother Nature" is an example of what an instrumental that would have lyrics over it would sound like, and "Surfing Saturn" is just kinda sci-fi dancy stuff. The rest of the songs range from excited to fucking rock-bottom funeral shit.

It's far from perfect, it was made in my bedroom, but for a self-produced debut with no professional equipment, I think I made something that I can be proud of. 

If you give it a listen and like it, you can download it for free or buy it for whatever price you'd like and give a college kid some money. :P

http://j-a-k-e-music.bandcamp.com 

I'd love some opinions on Big Dream if you feel inclined. It's not "pop" but I still think certain things are accessible. 

Thanks for having me, and I'm looking forward to hearing your responses and being on the forum! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Omg, I honestly admire you so much for doing all of this all on your own tbh! :hail: For the past few months I've been thinking about releasing my own EP of some kind, just because I have a whole bunch of songs and nothing to do with them tbh. But honestly I wouldn't know where to get started cos I'm a dreadful producer and I really want some voice lessons before I release that shit to the public. :stretcher:

I haven't heard all of the album yet, but 'Insult & Injury' is giving me total Elton John teas! :hail: So glad to have you here, I hope you keep posting your music!