'The Legend of Zelda' TV Show In Production

Main Pop Girl

BN-GV709_zelda_G_20150206133146.jpg

“The Legend of Zelda,” one of the most popular videogame series of all time, is in the works as a television show at Netflix.

The video streaming service is in the early stages of developing a live action series based on “Zelda,” about an ordinary boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda and save a fantasy world called Hyrule, said a person familiar with the matter. As it seeks writers to work on the show, Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said.

The “Zelda” games have traditionally included swords and sorcery, like “Game of Thrones” or “Lord of the Rings,” but typically with a more light-hearted, kid-friendly tone.

Netflix is said to be working closely with Nintendo, the Japanese game developer that has made about 20 “The Legend of Zelda” games since the original, which was released in the U.S. in 1987.

Nintendo is very protective of its intellectual property and has allowed few adaptations over the years. An animated “Legend of Zelda” series ran for just one season in 1989. A 1993 movie based on Nintendo’s “Super Mario Bros.” was an infamous bomb.

As it is still seeking a writer to work on the series, Netflix has a long road to travel before a “Legend of Zelda” series actually becomes a reality. It’s also possible that Netflix or Nintendo will kill the project before it gets off the ground.

A Netflix spokeswoman declined to comment. A Nintendo spokesman said the company “doesn’t comment on rumors and speculation.”

Not sure how I feel about this tbh...I just can't imagine anyone voicing Link and Zelda is too pretty to find an actress to convincingly play her. :'( If they wanted this to work I think they'd have to go with a story and characters that are pretty different from the games, and if they do that what's the point?

I kind of want to see this but I don't... Then again, Netflix uses a LOT of money on production for their series, Marco Polo costed $100 Mil (or roughly 9-10 mil. an episode) to make the first season and GoT only costed about 6 million each episode. Marco Polo ended up being one of the most expensive series ever. Hopefully with this, they'll put a lot of money and time into it so it's not shitty. I believe Netflix can do TLoZ justice if they really want people to care and to watch it.

I kind of want to see this but I don't... Then again, Netflix uses a LOT of money on production for their series, Marco Polo costed $100 Mil (or roughly 9-10 mil. an episode) to make the first season and GoT only costed about 6 million each episode. Marco Polo ended up being one of the most expensive series ever. Hopefully with this, they'll put a lot of money and time into it so it's not shitty. I believe Netflix can do TLoZ justice if they really want people to care and to watch it.

I haven't even heard of Marco Polo tbh, I'll have to look it up. :stretcher: And yeah, idk...I'm more worried about plot than anything else. Things like Ocarina of Time work great in games but how would that translate to a TV show? You can't just have an entire episode of Link riding around Hyrule Field on Epona. :/

Didn't they try making a Zelda series before? I feel like they tried and it flopped back in the 80s or 90s.

Yeah, there was some animated childrens series which is kind of kitschy and camp and hilarious to watch now. :stretcher:

I haven't even heard of Marco Polo tbh, I'll have to look it up.

Marco Polo was sooooooo bad. I watched the first three episodes before giving up and it was such complete and utter kitsch that I couldn't take even the good actors seriously. The amount of sex is so gratuitous and it takes the front seat while plot just meanders around. At least during Game of Thrones, the sex scenes normally contain some sort of plot-advancing dialogue. :stretcher:

I haven't even heard of Marco Polo tbh, I'll have to look it up.

Marco Polo was sooooooo bad. I watched the first three episodes before giving up and it was such complete and utter kitsch that I couldn't take even the good actors seriously. The amount of sex is so gratuitous and it takes the front seat while plot just meanders around. At least during Game of Thrones, the sex scenes normally contain some sort of plot-advancing dialogue. :stretcher:

:stretcher: What a mess...even GOT overdoes the gratuitous sex scenes imo, although you're right in that people interact so much during them that they've kind of become an interesting plot device more than anything. I'll probably check out Marco Polo just to cringe at it tho...what is it even about? Is it a biography or something?

*Prays for live action Pokemon series (That isn't as bad as the anime)*

tumblr_msurvyIWtw1rjenv2o4_r1_500.gif

Pikachu will cut you.

Have you heard the dialog? Everything is explained by another trainer because Ash is a stupid twat. "Water type Pokemon love the water!" - Misty to Ash who asked her what Water types where after being in like 3 different regions and having several Water type on his team.

Pikachu will cut you.

Have you heard the dialog? Everything is explained by another trainer because Ash is a stupid twat. "Water type Pokemon love the water!" - Misty to Ash who asked her what Water types where after being in like 3 different regions and having several Water type on his team.

Idek why you're even watching after the first three regions tbh...:stretcher: The first season was the best and everything from there just went downhill...anything after season five or so is just not worth watching.

Pikachu will cut you.

Idek why you're even watching after the first three regions tbh...:stretcher: The first season was the best and everything from there just went downhill...anything after season five or so is just not worth watching.

I watch it because I like seeing the Pokemon being lively. But the movies are mostly good, except a few but there is like 6 so their is bound to be a few bad ones. Also the Unova region wasn't that bad.

Pikachu will cut you.

I watch it because I like seeing the Pokemon being lively. But the movies are mostly good, except a few but there is like 6 so their is bound to be a few bad ones. Also the Unova region wasn't that bad.

The movies are miles and miles better than the TV show tbh, largely because they're less aimed towards children and the plots don't have as much to be compared to so are less repetitive. The first movie is amazing but the second and third are my absolute favourites. :hail:

If they make a Zelda series, there's hope for a Metroid series... Come on, I need to see Samus in real life. Like I need that shit. It would be like a live-action Halo but better.

That would actually be pretty rad. :hail: I don't even like the Metroid games that much but a movie would be epic! If Tomb Raider can work then so can that. ;)