Ghostbusters Remake Hires All-Female Cast

Main Pop Girl

ghostbusters-cast.jpg

Variety]After years of trying to spin off one of its most popular properties' date=' Sony looks to be getting closer to getting a “Ghostbusters” movie off the ground.

Sources tell Variety that Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones are in early negotiations to star in the “Ghostbusters” reboot.

Paul Feig is directing with Katie Dippold penning the script. Feig tweeted a photo of Wiig, McCarthy, McKinnon and Jones on Tuesday.

Story details are unknown other than this film centers on the next generation of Ghostbusters, who happen to be female.

Rumors have swirled for awhile of who Sony had met with for starring roles following the leaked Sony emails that said actresses such as McCarthy, Wiig and Emma Stone had met for roles.

Ivan Reitman is producing.

Scheduling still has to be worked out among the actresses, but if deals make, this marks the closest the studio has come to rebooting the franchise in quite some time. It is also unknown who each woman would be playing.

Wiig’s latest pic “Diary of a Teenage Girl” just premiered at Sundance and she is currently filming the Fox sci-fi pic “The Martian” alongside Matt Damon. She is repped by UTA and Odenkirk Entertainemnt. McCarthy is repped by CAA and can be seen next in Fox’s “Spy.”

McKinnon and Jones can still be seen on “Saturday Night Live.” Jones is repped by APA and Integral Entertainment and McKinnon is repped by UTA.[/quote']

People making a big deal about this need to stfu tbh. :morning: We've already had three films with an all-male cast so I don't see how having one film with four females is gonna kill anyone. I personally think they're all pretty hilarious actors so I'm pretty excited to watch this! :hail: I just wish Emma Stone had made the cut. :

YAS THIS IS THE BEST CAST EVER!!!  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:

Agreed, but I have no idea who Kate McKinnon is or if she's funny so I'm not that excited about seeing her in the movie. :vacuum: #BringBackEmmaStone #TooManySNLCastMembers

Ooooh, this is actually a really good idea. It's conceptually better than trying to stand against the original and it's employing 3 of the funniest female SNL cast members of the last 20 years, which is a huge plus.

I hope you're not disregarding the incredible actresses like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch and Maya Rudolph who are all far superior to this McKinnon girl in every way possible. :morning:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The gender switch-up is continuing. ;)

Paul Feig decided to disrupt Twitter on Wednesday by dropping this bombshell: Thor himself, Chris Hemsworth, will appear in the director’s female-led reboot of Ghostbusters as the ladies’ receptionist.

Move aside, Annie Potts! (She played the clerical role in the first two Ghostbusters films.) Hemsworth is the latest addition in the gender-flipped reimagining of Ghostbusters, joining Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones in the cast. “Those four ladies I have starring in it are so funny and that’s half the battle,” Feig said in a recent interview about the project. “I’m going to battle with the best army I have. My whole crew from all my other movies have come aboard, and some great special effects people have come aboard—I have never really done this level of effects before—and I’m excited!” 

Hemsworth appeared in Avengers: Age of Ultron back in May, and will next be seen in the Vacation remake starring Ed Helms. (One more ’80s comedy for a trend, Mr. Hemsworth.) 

Feig’s Ghostbusters is out in July of next year.

Another reason to watch this movie. :excited: