No African Americans Had A #1 Hit In 2013

Mona Lisa

Color Blind: No African-American Artists Had a No. 1 Hit in 2013

Beyonce didn't have a No. 1 hit in 2013. Nor did her husband. Or Kanye. Or....

Hip-hop stars Beyonce, Jay Z and Kanye West may have the power to turn everything they touch into gold but not when it comes to scoring a huge pop hit in 2013. In fact, they and other African-American artists did not have a single No. 1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 charts in all of last year.

According to writer Chris Molanphy, who surveys the pop charts, in a piece for Slate, this is the first time this had happened in the Billboard chart

I think you got it pretty spot on when you were talking about the lack of album releases this year L. Sure, there's probably been a bunch of people like Drake and other irrelevants releasing singles, but that doesn't mean they have to get to #1 or the music industry's racist. :morning:

Also, why do Americans have such an obsession just with black people? There's more Hispanic people than there are black people in North America rn, and yet the focus is always on African-Americans. It makes no sense to me. :vacuum:

I think you got it pretty spot on when you were talking about the lack of album releases this year L. Sure, there's probably been a bunch of people like Drake and other irrelevants releasing singles, but that doesn't mean they have to get to #1 or the music industry's racist. :morning:

Also, why do Americans have such an obsession just with black people? There's more Hispanic people than there are black people in North America rn, and yet the focus is always on African-Americans. It makes no sense to me. :vacuum:

Tbh, it's because of our history with slavery & the civil rights movement of the 60s. If you don't suck up to every black person you see, you're racist. If you don't hire someone that happens to be black, you're racist. If you own a company with 50+ employees, you're required to have a certain number of minorities on your payroll or you can get a HUGE fine/go to jail for being racist. It's the stupidest shit ever. If a non-white person owns a big company, they're not required to have white employees, only white-owned companies are. Fucking stuuupid. If a white person mentions the hypocrisy & racism of that, they're deemed racist. And omfg, ok, I love president Obama, I proudly voted for him twice, but there were SO many times during his first election I was called racist for not agreeing with something he said politically. If you were voting republican, people automatically assumed you were a racist. It was bullshit. It's like if you're not sucking the dick of every black guy, people hate you.

Tbh, it's because of our history with slavery & the civil rights movement of the 60s. If you don't suck up to every black person you see, you're racist. If you don't hire someone that happens to be black, you're racist. If you own a company with 50+ employees, you're required to have a certain number of minorities on your payroll or you can get a HUGE fine/go to jail for being racist. It's the stupidest shit ever. If a non-white person owns a big company, they're not required to have white employees, only white-owned companies are. Fucking stuuupid. If a white person mentions the hypocrisy & racism of that, they're deemed racist. And omfg, ok, I love president Obama, I proudly voted for him twice, but there were SO many times during his first election I was called racist for not agreeing with something he said politically. If you were voting republican, people automatically assumed you were a racist. It was bullshit. It's like if you're not sucking the dick of every black guy, people hate you.

RIGHT. It's so dumb! I wish American peeps could just move on from the past and actually look at racial issues sanely instead of viewing everything through some lens of hatred. It's like when Miley twerks, people call it "cultural appropriation", but when Rihanna records a dance album, no one bats an eyelid. The double standard is just ridiculous. Society will never get anywhere if people keep living in the past. :morning: