Is Hype Killing The Music Industry?

Mona Lisa

If you think about all the big releases from last year, most of the ones which were called flops were really just the product of being overhyped.

Everyone expected Artpop to be along the lines of 'Aura' and 'Stache' and a heavy EDM record with a political message like Born this Way. Gaga hyped it up so much, saying its some of her best work, the album was full of great tracks, and we waited for over a year to actually hear the songs. Then when people heard it they were all disappointed because nothing could have lived up to the hype we had in our heads.

Same with Britney Jean. Her team promised us Blackout 2.0 but the final album was nothing like that, or Work Bitch. All of the collaborators they'd told us about were replaced so will.i.am could step in and there was no promo like we expected. As such that album is a flop as well.

Meanwhile, Beyonce releases an album with absolutely no promo and after the hype for her new album had pretty much fizzled out. She slays, even though the album really isn't that good. Britney Jean and even Artpop are both much better pop albums, have stronger songs and are more cohesive. But because we weren't expecting anything from Beyonce, we took it as a present and loved it.

So what do you think? Is hype killing the music industry? And if so, how can artists circumvent it without doing a Beyonce and having no promo, singles, music videos, interviews, or anything at all?

Omg, you are actually spot on with this post! I completely agree with everything you said about Gaga and Bey, and Brit as well to an extent. Let's not forget that Katy's album also flopped, probably because we were all expecting something "dark" like she promised and instead got songs like 'Roar'; and Warrior flopped majorly because we were all expecting cock-pop but Dr. Luke ruined that. :vacuum:

Then there's Lorde who's doing really well right now, but only because she has had literally no hype around her and come out of nowhere. Her second album will probably flop when she's not able to use the "I'm only 16" card anymore and people hype her up too much. I'll be interested to see how Adele does with this next album as well; her stuff is always super hyped up but 'Skyfall' did surprisingly well.  That said, if she just makes another 21, people will say she's too repetitive, and if she strays too far from her sound people will say she sold out. I'll be interested to see what happens. ;)

I have to agree too! I think the traditional route that labels have taken with the whole "make sure errbody knows your album is coming out at least one year in advanced" is getting old. People don't like waiting, it's a fact. With B, she had some stuff here and there like Super Bowl and her Mrs. Carter tour, but that wasn't really in promotion for the new album. It was just so people remembered she's alive. I rather enjoy what she did, but I couldn't live if everyone did what she did. I'd just have a heart attack every time and eventually the shock value will depreciate.

I agree 100%, I was hoping that "dark" sound from Perry while this bitch gave me unicorns pooping rainbows. Gagz too I was hoping this BIG thing for Artpop, I mean, where's the app you bitch? And don't let me start with Britney cause  :stretcher:

I hope this year will be better for Kylie, Nicola & Fergie.

I have to agree too! I think the traditional route that labels have taken with the whole "make sure errbody knows your album is coming out at least one year in advanced" is getting old. People don't like waiting, it's a fact. With B, she had some stuff here and there like Super Bowl and her Mrs. Carter tour, but that wasn't really in promotion for the new album. It was just so people remembered she's alive. I rather enjoy what she did, but I couldn't live if everyone did what she did. I'd just have a heart attack every time and eventually the shock value will depreciate.

I agree completely, the thing that annoys me about Beyonce though is that everyones saying she's focussing on the music and not promo or anything and what a true artist she is. When really this whole plan is entirely for promo and is just another gimmick. For me it seems really fake.

I agree completely, the thing that annoys me about Beyonce though is that everyones saying she's focussing on the music and not promo or anything and what a true artist she is. When really this whole plan is entirely for promo and is just another gimmick. For me it seems really fake.

Don't let the Beyhive hear this, they'll tear you to pieces. They're batshit crazy. :cypher: