Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)

Muri

4 hours ago, Otaku said:

Not that I can discern really. Sounds to me like it's all Christina and there's nobody credited on background vocals.

Not sure who the main vocalist on Let There Be Love is, but the pre-chorus or whatever (I'm through with that, I can't fall too far cause it hurts so bad etc) is Priscilla Renea. Seems like the part Priscilla sings was re-written by Bonnie in Christina's version.

I remember reading somewhere that Bonnie said Let There Be Love was Miley Cyrus's track 'first', but she wanted to change too much about the track so they just sort of...took it back. Seems pretty obviously to me that it's one of the tracks from the Max Martin/Rx writing camp for Rihanna's LOUD though.

Interesting! I never knew it was Priscilla Renea on that track.

It would have been interesting to hear a Miley version of this song on #Bangerz, but I'm not sure it could have been as good as the dancey Christina version...Still wanna hear the original Bonnie demo though. :/ It must exist if she's on the background vocals.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/17/2020 at 9:31 AM, Skinny Legend said:

Interesting! I never knew it was Priscilla Renea on that track.

It would have been interesting to hear a Miley version of this song on #Bangerz, but I'm not sure it could have been as good as the dancey Christina version...Still wanna hear the original Bonnie demo though. :/ It must exist if she's on the background vocals.

I guess it must've been a very early incarnation of the album, basically like a completely different project than what we actually got.

Assuming it was done at that Rihanna writing camp, it's possible they just used the session singers available since they sound much more like her. But I would think at least a Bonnie demo for Christina's version exists?

8 hours ago, Otaku said:

I guess it must've been a very early incarnation of the album, basically like a completely different project than what we actually got.

Assuming it was done at that Rihanna writing camp, it's possible they just used the session singers available since they sound much more like her. But I would think at least a Bonnie demo for Christina's version exists?

You're probably right...Maybe on the version of the album with 'Nightmare'?

I mean, I can't imagine they'd just call in Bonnie for the background vocals and then tell her to go home and get some rest. If anything I'd say maybe Bonnie did the original demo and then Priscilla laid her vocals over the top of that!

11 hours ago, Skinny Legend said:

You're probably right...Maybe on the version of the album with 'Nightmare'?

I mean, I can't imagine they'd just call in Bonnie for the background vocals and then tell her to go home and get some rest. If anything I'd say maybe Bonnie did the original demo and then Priscilla laid her vocals over the top of that!

Well it was a writing camp organized by Max Martin that a lot of his MxM people and Luke's Rx signees + a bunch of regular collaborators would've attended.

I can't really find the specifics about it anymore (not that much was said about it), but I think it was held in LA at the very same time that another big writing camp for Rihanna was held in LA (most likely a 'StarGate-based' one around Grammy week).

So they would've had like a big studio complex for a week or a few days or so, with writers/producers going in and out of different rooms. I think Bonnie's probably a fast writer, so she probably wrote plenty of songs during that time. And if they had session singers that sounded like Rihanna, they might as well use them.

Judging by the sound of the song I'd say she probably wrote the majority of it too, but it's not like I have any idea what Jakke Erixson's sound is and Savan Kotecha is kind of generic, not instantly recognizable, at least to me. So it's not like she would just write a few lines and then go home, it's just that they'd have the luxury of session singers.

So especially with a big writing camp, it could've gone either way - Bonnie doing a quick rough cut as a reference for the session singers, but she could've just sang the song for the singers and added BG vocals as an extra layer.

Sometimes it makes sense for a writer that's perfectly capable of laying down vocals themselves to use a session singer anyway - if it's written for a different gender or it's for a big artist with a very recognizable sound, Back in the day writers would often mention how especially Britney's people could never hear her doing a submitted song unless the demo vocalist sounded 'exactly' like Britney. That must've changed over time, but some A&R's might still lack imagination.

Edited by Otaku

1 hour ago, Otaku said:

Well it was a writing camp organized by Max Martin that a lot of his MxM people and Luke's Rx signees + a bunch of regular collaborators would've attended.

I can't really find the specifics about it anymore (not that much was said about it), but I think it was held in LA at the very same time that another big writing camp for Rihanna was held in LA (most likely a 'StarGate-based' one around Grammy week).

So they would've had like a big studio complex for a week or a few days or so, with writers/producers going in and out of different rooms. I think Bonnie's probably a fast writer, so she probably wrote plenty of songs during that time. And if they had session singers that sounded like Rihanna, they might as well use them.

Judging by the sound of the song I'd say she probably wrote the majority of it too, but it's not like I have any idea what Jakke Erixson's sound is and Savan Kotecha is kind of generic, not instantly recognizable, at least to me. So it's not like she would just write a few lines and then go home, it's just that they'd have the luxury of session singers.

So especially with a big writing camp, it could've gone either way - Bonnie doing a quick rough cut as a reference for the session singers, but she could've just sang the song for the singers and added BG vocals as an extra layer.

Sometimes it makes sense for a writer that's perfectly capable of laying down vocals themselves to use a session singer anyway - if it's written for a different gender or it's for a big artist with a very recognizable sound, Back in the day writers would often mention how especially Britney's people could never hear her doing a submitted song unless the demo vocalist sounded 'exactly' like Britney. That must've changed over time, but some A&R's might still lack imagination.

Hmmm, I guess that does make sense if it was a Rihanna demo initially. Wasn't 'We Can't Stop' originally for her as well? So #Bangerz is essentially just an album made up of Rihjects... :cackle: 

• LMAO 1

On 1/27/2020 at 4:23 AM, Moonchild said:

Nobody seems to have them. I lost hope. I moved on, that's what one has to do when things stop. I added Bonnie to my list of singers whose career will never recover. Porcelain Black is down there with her.

Wow ok, so this is my first post on here. I've just read all of the Bonnie McKee threads and I've gotta say, it's exhausting that we're still at the point of nowhere! I share all of your frustrations about her lack of music releases. I've just read that there are existing studio versions of Don't Get Mad, Get Famous and I Wanna Fucking Call You, I wanna hear these so bad! Along with I Get What I Want

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aftershock088 said:

Wow ok, so this is my first post on here. I've just read all of the Bonnie McKee threads and I've gotta say, it's exhausting that we're still at the point of nowhere! I share all of your frustrations about her lack of music releases. I've just read that there are existing studio versions of Don't Get Mad, Get Famous and I Wanna Fucking Call You, I wanna hear these so bad! Along with I Get What I Want

I think we could get a small version of the album if we get those three tracks, "S.L.A.Y." and a couple more. It would be awesome if we somehow manage to get them :yeah: 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moonchild said:

I think we could get a small version of the album if we get those three tracks, "S.L.A.Y." and a couple more. It would be awesome if we somehow manage to get them :yeah: 

Yeah I agree. I think the whole album would be full of solid tracks throughout if we did. Also I agree with your previous post about her being alongside Porcelain Black when it comes to unreleased stuff. Been a fan of them both for so long. It's so annoying that all their hidden gems may never be officially released or heard ??

Also, why has no-one mentioned 'Legends Only'? Does anyone know what era that might've been? Sounds like it could be quite recent

• Like 1

Just now, Aftershock088 said:

Yeah I agree. I think the whole album would be full of solid tracks throughout if we did. Also I agree with your previous post about her being alongside Porcelain Black when it comes to unreleased stuff. Been a fan of them both for so long. It's so annoying that all their hidden gems may never be officially released or heard ??

Right? Actually right now I'm listening to Porcelain and the Tramps, such a great era. Sadly we don't have it for streaming :( I'm perched for Porcelain's new album, apparently coming this year (but who knows, can't believe it till I hear it).

1 minute ago, Aftershock088 said:

Also, why has no-one mentioned 'Legends Only'? Does anyone know what era that might've been? Sounds like it could be quite recent

I actually didn't know about this one! :orly: Do you have any info about it? I was unaware that a track with that title even existed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aftershock088 said:

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link on here, but if you Google it there's a 10 second snippet of it along with quite a few of her full versions of some tracks too.

I'll check it out! And just for the record, in this forum we allow to share links almost everywhere :) 

• Cypher changed the title to Bonnie McKee - Hot City (aka Epic Album)