Jump to content

taking a leave from college?


asexualguy
 Share

Recommended Posts

hey, i actually don't really want to talk about my personal life here but i really need some opinion and advice on this, i hope y'all can help me :)

okay, so i'm still on my college break at the moment before the new semester (i'd be in my sophomore year if i keep going) and well, i personally think college isn't for me from the start but i still attended classes and managed to get fine grades (3.71 GPA for the first year) because i felt obligated to do so. now, i really want to get myself into music, i asked my parents for some money (i've hung out less than ten times since i was in 8th grade, so it's like i've hung out less than ten times in the last five years) to buy music kit (microphone, midi keyboard, etc.) since before i went to college and until now, they still haven't given the money (keep in mind, i live in southeast asia, nobody really works until they finish college here).

the problem is i just really got into music just recently (around 10th grade) so when i told my parents i wanted to start a music project, they were very skeptical about it. now that i've waited for a year, i don't wanna give in and push my plan away anymore because i'm afraid my dream is going to be dead if i don't work on it soon. my parents still don't have the money and i understand that. so i told my parents that i wanted to take a leave (a semester long, the last payment the enrollment is this friday so i'm running out of time) from college so i could focus on my music project, my mom was/is not happy with the idea. she's very skeptical about this and tells me that i have no talent in music (though i argued with here i wouldn't be able to draw if i didn't learn) and she doesn't really buy it. (i might share my covers soon and i'll need some feedback to see if my mom's statement is true or not)

the reason why i want to start a music project, and also vlogging is that because i hate living in this country so i just hope if i do that, it'll help me move from this hellhole (living where you have nobody to relate to will drive you crazy. i know because it drives me crazy).

my question is, how do i convince my parents (especially my mom, because my dad seems to be on my side) that this is really something i wanna do and i don't wanna push my plan further any longer? 

thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, asexualguy said:

hey, i actually don't really want to talk about my personal life here but i really need some opinion and advice on this, i hope y'all can help me :)

okay, so i'm still on my college break at the moment before the new semester (i'd be in my sophomore year if i keep going) and well, i personally think college isn't for me from the start but i still attended classes and managed to get fine grades (3.71 GPA for the first year) because i felt obligated to do so. now, i really want to get myself into music, i asked my parents for some money (i've hung out less than ten times since i was in 8th grade, so it's like i've hung out less than ten times in the last five years) to buy music kit (microphone, midi keyboard, etc.) since before i went to college and until now, they still haven't given the money (keep in mind, i live in southeast asia, nobody really works until they finish college here).

the problem is i just really got into music just recently (around 10th grade) so when i told my parents i wanted to start a music project, they were very skeptical about it. now that i've waited for a year, i don't wanna give in and push my plan away anymore because i'm afraid my dream is going to be dead if i don't work on it soon. my parents still don't have the money and i understand that. so i told my parents that i wanted to take a leave (a semester long, the last payment the enrollment is this friday so i'm running out of time) from college so i could focus on my music project, my mom was/is not happy with the idea. she's very skeptical about this and tells me that i have no talent in music (though i argued with here i wouldn't be able to draw if i didn't learn) and she doesn't really buy it. (i might share my covers soon and i'll need some feedback to see if my mom's statement is true or not)

the reason why i want to start a music project, and also vlogging is that because i hate living in this country so i just hope if i do that, it'll help me move from this hellhole (living where you have nobody to relate to will drive you crazy. i know because it drives me crazy).

my question is, how do i convince my parents (especially my mom, because my dad seems to be on my side) that this is really something i wanna do and i don't wanna push my plane further any longer? 

thank you.

Honey parents will never support such a risky move, You can do music and go to college at sime time, music equipment is very, very fucking expensive... You can't just expect parents to give you big amount of money like that, Find a side job and buy the equipment with your own money! Practice every day at least 1 hour and that will be fine, by cancelling college you're just doing a huge mistake

  • YAAASSS 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cry Baby said:

Honey parent's will never support such a risky move, You can do music and go to college at sime time, music equipment is very, very fucking expensive... You can't just expect parents to give you big amount of money like that, Find a side job and buy the equipment with your own money! Practice every day at least 1 hour and that will be fine, by cancelling college you're just doing a huge mistake

i understand about risky move, but i figure i won't be able to do music and go to college at the same time (i'm majoring in textile craft & fashion studies, which sucks because i'm the only guy in my class and i also can't relate to my classmates. the assignments will spend all of my time) and finding a side job isn't really an option, seeing that i'm living in this kind of country.

i'm planning to take a leave (not dropping out) in hope i can really focus on making music and make something out of it. but if something went wrong (i really hope not) i could go back to college the next semester.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Cry Baby said:

Honey parents will never support such a risky move, You can do music and go to college at sime time, music equipment is very, very fucking expensive... You can't just expect parents to give you big amount of money like that, Find a side job and buy the equipment with your own money! Practice every day at least 1 hour and that will be fine, by cancelling college you're just doing a huge mistake

you say so? :morning: 

but honestly, quitting college is a really bad idea. Especially for such reason. You can do music in your free time. Remember that this business is really risky and not many have a chance to achieve something more. By finishing your college you will have at least some gist to start your career.  Music is rather a hobby. That's my opinion...

You can always focus on music after finishing college, but not the other way around. Consider it :magic: 

  • YAAASSS 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Tweener said:

you say so? :morning: 

but honestly, quitting college is a really bad idea. Especially for such reason. You can do music in your free time. Remember that this business is really risky and not many have a chance to achieve something more. By finishing your college you will have at least some gist to start your career.  Music is rather a hobby. That's my opinion...

You can always focus on music after finishing college, but not the other way around. Consider it :magic: 

i changed my title because it seemed to be misleading lol, i'm planning to take a leave, not dropping out.

i mentioned before that i don't wanna push my plan further, i'm afraid i won't be passionate and motivated anymore...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, asexualguy said:

hey, i actually don't really want to talk about my personal life here but i really need some opinion and advice on this, i hope y'all can help me :)

okay, so i'm still on my college break at the moment before the new semester (i'd be in my sophomore year if i keep going) and well, i personally think college isn't for me from the start but i still attended classes and managed to get fine grades (3.71 GPA for the first year) because i felt obligated to do so. now, i really want to get myself into music, i asked my parents for some money (i've hung out less than ten times since i was in 8th grade, so it's like i've hung out less than ten times in the last five years) to buy music kit (microphone, midi keyboard, etc.) since before i went to college and until now, they still haven't given the money (keep in mind, i live in southeast asia, nobody really works until they finish college here).

the problem is i just really got into music just recently (around 10th grade) so when i told my parents i wanted to start a music project, they were very skeptical about it. now that i've waited for a year, i don't wanna give in and push my plan away anymore because i'm afraid my dream is going to be dead if i don't work on it soon. my parents still don't have the money and i understand that. so i told my parents that i wanted to take a leave (a semester long, the last payment the enrollment is this friday so i'm running out of time) from college so i could focus on my music project, my mom was/is not happy with the idea. she's very skeptical about this and tells me that i have no talent in music (though i argued with here i wouldn't be able to draw if i didn't learn) and she doesn't really buy it. (i might share my covers soon and i'll need some feedback to see if my mom's statement is true or not)

the reason why i want to start a music project, and also vlogging is that because i hate living in this country so i just hope if i do that, it'll help me move from this hellhole (living where you have nobody to relate to will drive you crazy. i know because it drives me crazy).

my question is, how do i convince my parents (especially my mom, because my dad seems to be on my side) that this is really something i wanna do and i don't wanna push my plan further any longer? 

thank you.

you know your own capabilities best I suppose, and if you feel like you can and really want to do it, then Id say... go for it. I deeply believe that hard work always pays off and music can be really rewarding. Its a huge risk indeed, but many great achievers often stress how they were taking risks on their way to success.

I love this sentence which Josephine from Oh Wonder once said in an interview: "If you have a plan B, you’ll most likely fall back on it".

Hope you feel happy, whatever the decision you make

  • YAAASSS 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GINGERGREEN said:

you know your own capabilities best I suppose, and if you feel like you can and really want to do it, then Id say... go for it. I deeply believe that hard work always pays off and music can be really rewarding. Its a huge risk indeed, but many great achievers often stress how they were taking risks on their way to success.

I love this sentence which Josephine from Oh Wonder once said in an interview: "If you have a plan B, you’ll most likely fall back on it".

Hope you feel happy, whatever the decision you make

thank you, i keep telling myself that i have to take a huge risk because inside i'm tired of playing tame and putting others first before me lol

that kind of statement really helps me keeping my determination to reach my goals

thank you :)

  • YAAASSS 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you should go for it my boo! <3 The thing about college is you can always go back in a few years, whereas it's harder to become a big musician after you hit a certain age. :/ I think you should follow your dreams for a semester and see how things go. Even if they fail, you can just go back to college right after that! I've been taking a gap year from university this year and I'm so glad I did because I've gotten a lot of things done that I've always wanted to do and now I know that if I go back to university it will be on my own terms as opposed to being pressured by my parents to do it. <3 

Let us know what you decide!

  • YAAASSS 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Countess said:

I think you should go for it my boo! <3 The thing about college is you can always go back in a few years, whereas it's harder to become a big musician after you hit a certain age. :/ I think you should follow your dreams for a semester and see how things go. Even if they fail, you can just go back to college right after that! I've been taking a gap year from university this year and I'm so glad I did because I've gotten a lot of things done that I've always wanted to do and now I know that if I go back to university it will be on my own terms as opposed to being pressured by my parents to do it. <3 

Let us know what you decide!

i think the same way! thank you :D

and i'll update by the end of the week

  • YAAASSS 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you do music because you love music and enjoy the process of creation it's never too late,just do it for youself.. If you wanna do music because of fame and money it might still be ok but be sure what you're doing, I'm fucking with music production over a 5 years now, and I still can get what I want  (I practice every day)

I suggest download Illegaly some DAW, practice on it for a while, see how it goes, If you figure it you could do something, start buying stuffs one by one cause good quality equipment costs about 1500€ cca, and isolation and stuffs are not included (It depends about the size of the room but let's say cca 500, 600 €) 

It's not fair that you live with parents and then ask them money for that

It's not just so easy thinkning "oh tommorrow I'll wake up and I'll be famous and rich musician" no... Hell some of our fave flops are homeless today

  • YAAASSS 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

my advice is to consider music like a hobby for now, because that's basically what it is if it's not paying the bills - post some covers on youtube and tumblr and similar platforms and try to make a little money off revenue (and build a fanbase) if you can but for now, leaving college is pretty pointless since it's not like you're busy touring or recording an album or anything, you're just learning the ropes

i agree that getting a music career is harder as you get older, but getting a "real job" as you get older isn't a piece of cake either: if you take a few years off of college to pursue music, by the time you get your degree and are submitting applications, there are younger people with more qualifications than you

as far as equipment goes, you can get some basic stuff relatively cheap!  don't splurge on a giant keyboard and super expensive mic just yet, just get a little keyboard with enough keys to comfortably play melodies, you don't need much to plug things into a program which, by the way, i agree you should download illegally for now, that's how martin garrix started - with a pirated version of FL studio!  

  • YAAASSS 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FeralHeart said:

my advice is to consider music like a hobby for now, because that's basically what it is if it's not paying the bills - post some covers on youtube and tumblr and similar platforms and try to make a little money off revenue (and build a fanbase) if you can but for now, leaving college is pretty pointless since it's not like you're busy touring or recording an album or anything, you're just learning the ropes

i agree that getting a music career is harder as you get older, but getting a "real job" as you get older isn't a piece of cake either: if you take a few years off of college to pursue music, by the time you get your degree and are submitting applications, there are younger people with more qualifications than you

as far as equipment goes, you can get stuff pretty cheap!  don't splurge on a giant keyboard and super expensive mic just yet, just get a little keyboard with enough keys to comfortably play melodies, you don't need much to plug things into a program which, by the way, i agree you should download illegally for now, that's how martin garrix started - with a pirated version of FL studio!  

i agree 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cry Baby said:

If you do music because you love music and enjoy the process of creation it's never too late,just do it for youself.. If you wanna do music because of fame and money it might still be ok but be sure what you're doing, I'm fucking with music production over a 5 years now, and I still can get what I want  (I practice every day)

I suggest download Illegaly some DAW, practice on it for a while, see how it goes, If you figure it you could do something, start buying stuffs one by one cause good quality equipment costs about 1500€ cca, and isolation and stuffs are not included (It depends about the size of the room but let's say cca 500, 600 €) 

It's not fair that you live with parents and then ask them money for that

It's not just so easy thinkning "oh tommorrow I'll wake up and I'll be famous and rich musician" no... Hell some of our fave flops are homeless today

i'm not thinking i'm doing it for fame or money (though it'd be nice lol) my thought doesn't go that far, i was planning to learn music during my college break but (again, it's because of the money, it didn't happen) now that i don't want to push my plan back anymore, i want to make time for it by taking a leave.

i already have logic pro x, probably going to get ableton (pirated ofc)

i understand about that, i really sound like an asshole, but i just compare myself with other kids my age here, they go out and get wasted with their parents money so i just think i can do something else with the same opportunity of getting money from parents. (i know i still sound like an asshole, but i can't help it, comparing yourself to others is part of human nature)

6 hours ago, FeralHeart said:

my advice is to consider music like a hobby for now, because that's basically what it is if it's not paying the bills - post some covers on youtube and tumblr and similar platforms and try to make a little money off revenue (and build a fanbase) if you can but for now, leaving college is pretty pointless since it's not like you're busy touring or recording an album or anything, you're just learning the ropes

i agree that getting a music career is harder as you get older, but getting a "real job" as you get older isn't a piece of cake either: if you take a few years off of college to pursue music, by the time you get your degree and are submitting applications, there are younger people with more qualifications than you

as far as equipment goes, you can get some basic stuff relatively cheap!  don't splurge on a giant keyboard and super expensive mic just yet, just get a little keyboard with enough keys to comfortably play melodies, you don't need much to plug things into a program which, by the way, i agree you should download illegally for now, that's how martin garrix started - with a pirated version of FL studio!  

i know and yes, i consider music as a hobby which i want to grasp. yeah sure i won't be busy or recording an album but i'm sure i'll be busy with assignment that will leave me no free time. at this point, i can't choose both, i have to pick either going back to college or take a leave and start learning music.

i won't take a few years off, just 6 months. hell if i really got fucked up (i really really really hope not) i'd take care of my family business.

i'm eyeing akai mpk mini and samson c01, does anyone have recommendations?

  • YAAASSS 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2016 at 5:30 AM, asexualguy said:

hey, i actually don't really want to talk about my personal life here but i really need some opinion and advice on this, i hope y'all can help me :)

okay, so i'm still on my college break at the moment before the new semester (i'd be in my sophomore year if i keep going) and well, i personally think college isn't for me from the start but i still attended classes and managed to get fine grades (3.71 GPA for the first year) because i felt obligated to do so. now, i really want to get myself into music, i asked my parents for some money (i've hung out less than ten times since i was in 8th grade, so it's like i've hung out less than ten times in the last five years) to buy music kit (microphone, midi keyboard, etc.) since before i went to college and until now, they still haven't given the money (keep in mind, i live in southeast asia, nobody really works until they finish college here).

the problem is i just really got into music just recently (around 10th grade) so when i told my parents i wanted to start a music project, they were very skeptical about it. now that i've waited for a year, i don't wanna give in and push my plan away anymore because i'm afraid my dream is going to be dead if i don't work on it soon. my parents still don't have the money and i understand that. so i told my parents that i wanted to take a leave (a semester long, the last payment the enrollment is this friday so i'm running out of time) from college so i could focus on my music project, my mom was/is not happy with the idea. she's very skeptical about this and tells me that i have no talent in music (though i argued with here i wouldn't be able to draw if i didn't learn) and she doesn't really buy it. (i might share my covers soon and i'll need some feedback to see if my mom's statement is true or not)

the reason why i want to start a music project, and also vlogging is that because i hate living in this country so i just hope if i do that, it'll help me move from this hellhole (living where you have nobody to relate to will drive you crazy. i know because it drives me crazy).

my question is, how do i convince my parents (especially my mom, because my dad seems to be on my side) that this is really something i wanna do and i don't wanna push my plan further any longer? 

thank you.

i feel you, really :'(
i live in Southeast Asia too (Bali, Indonesia), and sometimes finding a sidejob is Impossible !
i make some mashups for fun & hobby only, not for money of course
but if you want to learn music, go for it
i only have big keyboard and i sometimes play some songs mainly on Chords Only :)

  • YAAASSS 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, PixelEmpire said:

i feel you, really :'(
i live in Southeast Asia too (Bali, Indonesia), and sometimes finding a sidejob is Impossible !
i make some mashups for fun & hobby only, not for money of course
but if you want to learn music, go for it
i only have big keyboard and i sometimes play some songs mainly on Chords Only :)

glad someone knows exactly how it feels to live here lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...