Kesha vs. Sony Records

Cypher

It looks like her lawsuit isn't just aimed for Dr. Luke anymore. She's now bringing Sony Records into the mix.

z8kHe6G.png

An amended complaint asserts that Sony Music has "forced an abusive relationship" between singer and producer.

Pop star Kesha Sebert has followed up her bombshell lawsuit against producer Lukasz "Dr. Luke" Gottwald with an amended complaint that adds Sony Music as a defendant for allegedly supporting and ratifying his behavior.

In Los Angeles Superior Court, Kesha previously claimed that Luke, 41, drugged and "forced himself" on her, threatened to take away her publishing rights and constantly belittled her appearance, driving her to bulimia.

She's now turned her attention to Sony and alleges in new papers obtained by The Hollywood Reporter that record labels are desperate for "pop sensations" amid declining sales and thus have made a "substantial investment" -- $60 million -- in Dr. Luke for his ability to develop "catchy and creative talent."

But Kesha, represented by Mark Geragos, asserts there is a cost to doing business with the famous producer.

According to her amended complaint, "Dr. Luke's proclivity for abusive conduct was open and obvious to [sony Music Entertainment] Doe executives, who either knew of the conduct and turned a blind eye, failed to investigate Dr. Luke's conduct, failed to take any corrective action, or actively concealed Dr. Luke's abuse."

Kesha's reps have claimed that Dr. Luke has abused others and that Sony should be held partly responsible too.

"SME's conduct placed Jane Doe female artists, including Ms. Sebert, in physical danger by giving Dr. Luke full creative and business control, with nearly limitless financial resources, over young female artists who necessarily were compelled to become dependent upon his good will."

The amended complaint further alleges that Kesha complained about the terms of her agreements with Dr. Luke -- that he won't renegotiate "as he promised and according to industry custom" -- and that Sony's has "ratified" this by giving Dr. Luke a record label deal and a "platform to continue his abuse."

"Based on SME's conduct, SME has forced an abusive relationship between Dr. Luke and Ms. Sebert to this day," states the amended complaint.

The newest legal papers are the latest in a legal blowup that initiated last October.

-

Kesha's amended complaint serves her goal to have the dispute play out in California because by bringing Sony into the mix, Kesha's attorneys argue those deals are without a New York forum clause. Dr. Luke's attorneys dispute this reading of the contract.

But whether or not this dispute is really about money, Sony will now have to face claims that it should be liable for sexual abuse and battery, sexual harassment, gender violence and more. The amended lawsuit also states that Sony is continuing to support Dr. Luke's "conduct designed to destroy Ms. Sebert's career in retaliation for Ms. Sebert bravely bringing forward her claims of abuse."

Source

I mean, it makes sense that the organisation she works for is getting involved, that's pretty much what would always happen in any workplace dispute afaik. But I also feel like this won't be great for her career...I feel like no one is gonna want to sign someone with this much baggage and such a bad reputation for working with producers and labels after this, especially given how influential Luke is in the industry. I'm also sick of whoever's writing her complaints saying that she was "forced into an abusive relationship". At some point, she has to take responsibility for her own actions and stop pinning absolutely everything on others.

I mean, it makes sense that the organisation she works for is getting involved, that's pretty much what would always happen in any workplace dispute afaik. But I also feel like this won't be great for her career...I feel like no one is gonna want to sign someone with this much baggage and such a bad reputation for working with producers and labels after this, especially given how influential Luke is in the industry. I'm also sick of whoever's writing her complaints saying that she was "forced into an abusive relationship". At some point, she has to take responsibility for her own actions and stop pinning absolutely everything on others.

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. I've got friends and my own sister who's been in an abusive relationship. Until you've been in one, shut the fuck up. Kesha signed to Dr. Luke's label and in the time she was signed, he drugged her and force himself on her. That's her claim and honestly, I believe it, especially since other artists have come out and spoken about it. As if you know about her situation... We're the fucking public, we're not supposed to know everything. It like you're saying "Well rape victims need to get over it and quit pointing the finger at the rapist" and that's fucking disgusting.

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. I've got friends and my own sister who's been in an abusive relationship. Until you've been in one, shut the fuck up. Kesha signed to Dr. Luke's label and in the time she was signed, he drugged her and force himself on her. That's her claim and honestly, I believe it, especially since other artists have come out and spoken about it. As if you know about her situation... We're the fucking public, we're not supposed to know everything. It like you're saying "Well rape victims need to get over it and quit pointing the finger at the rapist" and that's fucking disgusting.

Oh please, Carcass, why don't you go on and tell me more about how much you know about my life! You don't know what the fuck I've been through in my past relationships so don't make the ridiculous gendered assumption that I've never been involved with an abusive partner, because you'll end up looking like a goddamn fool.

What other artists have come out and testified that they experienced Luke being abusive to either them or Kesha? Please, give me as many receipts as possible, because I'm genuinely curious. I also never brought up the alleged sexual abuse so don't twist my words. I'm speaking purely about the fact that even after he supposedly raped her she continued to allow him to abuse her and remained in regular contact with him for several years. That was her decision, and she can't blame him or the label that she was signed to for her own actions.