Philip Seymour Hoffman, Oscar-Winning Actor, Found Dead in NYC Aged 46

philip%20seymour%20hoffman.jpg

Oscar-winning American actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead in his New York City apartment after an apparent drug overdose.

Hoffman, 46, was found unresponsive on the bathroom floor of his Greenwich Village apartment by police responding to a 911 call. He was declared dead at the scene by Emergency Medical Service workers.

A police spokesman said investigators recovered two small plastic bags in the apartment containing a substance suspected of being heroin.

Hoffman, who is survived by three children with his partner Mimi O'Donnell, had detailed his struggles with substance abuse in the past.

"We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone," his family said in a statement.

"This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers."

He won the best actor Oscar for the 2005 biographical film Capote, in which he played writer Truman Capote.

CNN, citing a law enforcement official, reported that Hoffman was last seen alive at 8:00pm (local time) on Saturday.

He had been expected to pick up his children on Sunday but failed to show up, prompting playwright David Katz and another person to go to his apartment, where they found him dead, CNN said.

Hoffman spoke in the past of struggling with drugs, including a 2006 interview in which he told CBS he had abused "anything I could get my hands on. I liked it all."

His death, if confirmed from an overdose, would recall the 2008 death of actor Heath Ledger, who was found dead in his Manhattan apartment from a lethal combination of drugs.

He was born in New York State in 1967 and received acting training at New York University.

For more than 20 years Hoffman mesmerised, entertained and spell bound filmgoers with his portrayal of some of the most repellent and yet electrifying characters of the silver screen.

He transformed movies through calculatingly understated performances and his daring choice of roles. Hoffman went on to receive three nominations for best supporting actor for roles in Charlie Wilson's War (2007), Doubt (2008) and The Master (2012).

But, for all his success, Hoffman was reluctant in the limelight and in an interview with the Guardian published in October 2011 said he thought everyone struggles with self-love.

"I think that's pretty much the human condition, you know, waking up and trying to live your day in a way that you can go to sleep and feel OK about yourself," he was quoted as saying.

This is so sad! :'( I thought he was a great actor and absolutely loved him in Doubt. I didn't even realize he was struggling with addiction so this is a total shock. RIP to him and all my love to his family and friends. :(

This is so sad! I even watched Catching Fire again yesterday on the tv. The same night he passed! :'(

Some Illuminati shit going on

Not to say I'm not sad of his passing, but at least he more or less finished his scenes for Mockingjay Pt. 1 and 2.

How were you watching Catching Fire on tv already?! It was only at the movies a few months ago! But yeah, I was wondering about Mockinjay as well. I hope he's finished his scenes too, but if not I'm sure they could do some CGI shit to make it look like he was there speaking to everyone. But they'll probably just introduce a new character to take his place and hope the audience forgets about him.

But omg, I know exactly what you mean. I watched The Bodyguard for the first time ever and the next day Whitney Houston died. :'( We're cursed Cypher!

How were you watching Catching Fire on tv already?! It was only at the movies a few months ago! But yeah, I was wondering about Mockinjay as well. I hope he's finished his scenes too, but if not I'm sure they could do some CGI shit to make it look like he was there speaking to everyone. But they'll probably just introduce a new character to take his place and hope the audience forgets about him.

But omg, I know exactly what you mean. I watched The Bodyguard for the first time ever and the next day Whitney Houston died. :'( We're cursed Cypher!

Just like how I watched Frozen. ;)

I have an HDMI/Composite adapter so I can hook my laptop to my TV. As for getting the movies, I have friends in high places who give me rips before they're released, it's pretty awesome. :tan:

I should go watch every Channing Tatum movie now. :morning:

Just like how I watched Frozen. ;)

I have an HDMI/Composite adapter so I can hook my laptop to my TV. As for getting the movies, I have friends in high places who give me rips before they're released, it's pretty awesome. :tan:

I should go watch every Channing Tatum movie now. :morning:

Omg, that's so good tho. I'm jealous! I can normally get most of my movies from torrents, but they're often bad quality or subtitled or some shit. Is every single one of your friends in the entertainment industry or what? :vacuum:

Could you fit Never Say Never in as well? :vacuum:

Omg, that's so good tho. I'm jealous! I can normally get most of my movies from torrents, but they're often bad quality or subtitled or some shit. Is every single one of your friends in the entertainment industry or what? :vacuum:

Could you fit Never Say Never in as well? :vacuum:

Basically. Directors, actors, singers, this is why you need to move to California. :tan:

I don't need to fit that one in, Beaver's gonna kill himself regardless.