Giant Squid Caught Near Japan

Cypher

Four metres? :o Omg! Imagine that thing wrapping itself around your mouth so you can't breathe...gross. :yuck:

I still feel kind of bad for it tho, on that boat like that with everyone prodding it and measuring it and stuff. I feel kind of mean watching it. It's not the squid's fault it's fucking huge. :'( Just leave it alone!

Four metres? :o Omg! Imagine that thing wrapping itself around your mouth so you can't breathe...gross. :yuck:

I still feel kind of bad for it tho, on that boat like that with everyone prodding it and measuring it and stuff. I feel kind of mean watching it. It's not the squid's fault it's fucking huge. :'( Just leave it alone!

Leave any (wild) animal alone for that matter! ^_^

• 1 month later...

Thats if no one takes it from them, The science world has been struggling one of these babies. The only well preserved one we have is in the smithsonian in DC and it is falling apart. They they may hold the key to  to some missing data we have on these guys. The science world cares, this squid is going to get a security team if it gets to the us because they are so rare

Thats if no one takes it from them, The science world has been struggling one of these babies. The only well preserved one we have is in the smithsonian in DC and it is falling apart. They they may hold the key to  to some missing data we have on these guys. The science world cares, this squid is going to get a security team if it gets to the us because they are so rare

But what's the point of getting all that data? It's not like we're keeping these giant squids in zoos, so we don't really have any need to analyse their habits or behaviors so we can look after them better. The only reason we're catching them and putting them through all this shit is because of simple human curiosity, which imo is a pretty stupid reason to kill an animal. :morning:

But what's the point of getting all that data? It's not like we're keeping these giant squids in zoos, so we don't really have any need to analyse their habits or behaviors so we can look after them better. The only reason we're catching them and putting them through all this shit is because of simple human curiosity, which imo is a pretty stupid reason to kill an animal. :morning:

Yeah but if we get all the data it opens doors, like how does something so big move the way it does,that could lead to better transportation in water, how does it survive under the pressure it lives in? or why does it stay protected, A octopus found found awhile ago has lead to more accurate camouflage, they found that you could harvest algae with a hair like substance because of a lobster, imagine what we could discover if we solved the clues that are still there. They could hold the answer to many problems but we need data on the species to go off of.

Yeah but if we get all the data it opens doors, like how does something so big move the way it does,that could lead to better transportation in water, how does it survive under the pressure it lives in? or why does it stay protected, A octopus found found awhile ago has lead to more accurate camouflage, they found that you could harvest algae with a hair like substance because of a lobster, imagine what we could discover if we solved the clues that are still there. They could hold the answer to many problems but we need data on the species to go off of.

I see your point, but none of those things are really human necessities. It's not like we're planning to build the city of Atlantis and so we're in absolute dire need to learn how to move quickly underwater and remain stable regardless of water pressure. Even camouflaging and harvesting algae isn't really that important. If you were finding the cure for cancer and then saving a million lives, then maybe I would agree with you; but even then I would still have reservations. If it was a conscious human being who decided to sacrifice their life in order to find the cure for cancer, then that would be a fine; but an animal can never give consent to that kind of thing. They'd probably be terrified of what was happening to them.