Camila Cabello Signs With Interscope Records

CaimilaPOW1.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

Camila Cabello has parted ways with Epic Records and signed to Interscope, Variety has learned. The pop singer had released three studio albums in four years with the Sony Music label, most recently dropping “Familia” in April. Her first two releases, 2018’s “Camila” and 2019’s “Romance,” were both certified platinum by the RIAA, marking sales of over 1 million units in the U.S.

At Interscope, which is owned by Universal Music Group, the 25-year-old Cabello joins a roster that includes Lady Gaga, Blackpink, Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo, Selena Gomez and many more.

Epic has been Cabello’s home since she first arrived at the label in 2013 via its partnership with Simon Cowell’s Syco Music. That same year she and former girl group Fifth Harmony released their debut “Better Together” EP, riding the high from their third place finish on the U.S. edition of “The X-Factor.” In 2017, Cabello announced her departure from the girl group but remained with Epic Records for her first solo and self-titled debut album.

Cabello’s current single, “Bam Bam,” features Ed Sheeran and has logged more than 150 million on-demand streams, according to data from Luminate, and its airplay audience is nearing 500 million. Her previous hits include 2017’s “Havana” and “Never Be the Same,” 2019’s “Senorita” (with Shawn Mendes) and 2016’s “Bad Things” (with Machine Gun Kelly).

Speaking with Variety in April, Cabello expressed a desire for independence when it comes to her music. “With the first couple of albums, I’d be like, ‘What do you think? What do you think?’ and now I don’t send my music to that many people anymore,” she said. “If I can’t stand behind [a song] and want to perform it, let’s not put it out, because it’s just going to turn into some weird thing where I never wanna fucking sing it again, and it’s all because I didn’t listen to myself.”

Variety has reached out to Epic, Interscope and a rep for Cabello for comment.

X

This is what happens when they start flopping, label shift and desire for independent music. 

Something obviously got wrong in the promotion of her career. 

It's weird but most artists whose catalogues are kept super tight just flop, I'm thinking of Katy Perry, JLo, Leona Lewis, even Taylor Swift lost herself in the nightmare of her re-releases and is far from the numbers she did years ago. 

On the other hand, Dua Lipa enjoyed an ever growing success these past few years and I'm sure she partially ows it also to her many leaks of unused songs and demos who were some kind of an amazing campaign to keep the focus on her, hence her live shows and officially released albums. 

Leaks keep the interest in an artist alive, if no leak happens, nothing gets released, they are pretty fast forgotten and people turn their attention to somebody else. 

Even Britney Spears is not doing great with the EJ collaboration. And it's no surprise to me: almost nothing coming from her, people focused on her private life and when she releases new music, the reaction is warm of course.

Just compare the differences between Hold Me Closer and Cold Heart. 

Despite being two very similar project Cold Heart was a hit, but Hold Me Closer is struggling. 

Dua kept the focus on her music, Britney had just a couple of leaks and mostly family gossip... 

Fans must be fed if artists want them to be loyal to one's music, otherwise they'll be forgotten and fans will seek another artist to follow, it's just as simple as that. 

Also just expect anything that Rihanna might release in the future to heavily flop... 

No releases, no leaks, nothing, just moisturizing tutorials, does she expect people to wait for her for eternity? 

She just wished. 

Edited by 808Dream
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I've never found her a likeable person and I don't enjoy her music so I'm not surprised :cackle: I remember a bunch of text messages between her and a label exec leaked and the whole thing just put a gross taste in my mouth.

But it is weird when she has a big single with Ed out right now. I wonder if she'll do a Gwen Stefani/Shakira/Xtina and just focus on being a Voice host full time :yeah: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaving said:

I remember a bunch of text messages between her and a label exec leaked and the whole thing just put a gross taste in my mouth.

Oh I wanna know details about this, the only thing I vaguely remember is some fb post when she was younger when she slagged black people if I'm not wrong, she later apologized for that. 

I wanna know more of these text messages you're talking about. 

I'm pretty indifferent to her, some of her tracks are cute but that's all. 

I don't think she was the one to deserve all the solo promotion she could access initially, Normani and Lauren Jauregui are superior in terms of vocal abilities. 

They bet on the wrong horse. 

Edited by 808Dream
Crap english

20 hours ago, 808Dream said:

Oh I wanna know details about this, the only thing I vaguely remember is some fb post when she was younger when she slagged black people if I'm not wrong, she later apologized for that. 

I don't think she was the one to deserve all the solo promotion she could access initially, Normani and Lauren Jauregui are superior in terms of vocal abilities. 

she was 12 years old, Camila sings in two languages, that gives her bigger exposure for her catalogue than them. Plus she chooses a good single when the album is not doing good. Ej: Havana came after Crying In The Club tanked,  Señorita came after Sangria Wine tanked and now Bam Bam with Ed is out to compensate how Familia flopped . I think that album lacked a clear focus because it has songs from random sessions like Psychofreak (a really good song but doesn't fit the album), the album is latin inspired and barely has spanish songs or trendy spanish styles like Reggaeton or Trap

Edited by lalisa

1 hour ago, lalisa said:

she was 12 years old, Camila sings in two languages, that gives her bigger exposure for her catalogue than them. Plus she chooses a good single when the album is not doing good. Ej: Havana came after Crying In The Club tanked,  Señorita came after Sangria Wine tanked and now Bam Bam with Ed is out to compensate how Familia flopped . I think that album lacked a clear focus because it has songs from random sessions like Psychofreak (a really good song but doesn't fit the album), the album is latin inspired and barely has spanish songs or trendy spanish styles like Reggaeton or Trap

Yes that's right, there's no direction so it all seems a little messy. 

I think the fault of this is the new strategy that labels applied since the coming of streaming services: no album projects, just throwing s*it (read singles) to the wall hoping that something sticks. 

The result is no clear artistic direction, just a messy bunch of random singles. 

They're trying to avoid albums from flopping but they get super messy discographies stuffed with flopping singles and some minor hits. 

Just also look at JLo discography... 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 4:15 PM, 808Dream said:

Here it is now with Charlie Walk who was apparently a chairman at Republic:

289096_900.jpg

And her manager Roger Gold:

293723_original.jpg

All just kinda creepy but nothing explicitly bad Ig

12 hours ago, Cypher said:

Honestly, does any artist thrive under Epic?? I can only think of examples where artists had bad experiences.

Gaga? 🤔

• Like 1