Uncontacted Island Tribe Kills American Missionary

Main Pop Girl

The Christian evangelist who attempted to convert one of the world's last remaining isolated tribes wrote of his convictions in pursuing the mission even in the face of open hostility and attempts on his life, according to diary entries and notes.

In excerpts from his journal, John Allen Chau, the American who is believed to have been killed by members of the isolationist Sentinelese tribe on a tiny, remote island in the Bay of Bengal, wrote of returning to the island to continue his attempts at conversion even after a tribesman shot at him with a bow and arrow, piercing a Bible he was carrying.

In pages left with the fishermen who facilitated his trip to the island, his musings are a clear indication of his desire to convert the tribe. "Lord, is this island Satan's last stronghold where none have heard or even had the chance to hear your name?" he wrote.

His notes indicate that he knew the trip was illegal, describing how the small fishing vessel transported him to the isolated island under cover of darkness, evading patrols. All seven locals who facilitated the trip have been arrested.

The Sentinelese live in complete isolation on the remote island in the Andaman archipelago, and are thought to have done so for tens of thousands of years. The tribe and their home are protected by Indian law to maintain their way of life and protect them from modern illnesses because they lack immunity.

Just more than a dozen people are officially thought to live on the remote island, which about 50 kilometer (31 miles) west of Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago, an Indian territory. They represent some of the last people on earth whose way of life remains entirely undisturbed by modern civilization.

The island is a protected area, and people are not allowed to go within 5 nautical miles of it, after previous incidents of aggressive behavior toward outsiders were observed. In 2006, two local fishermen were killed by the tribes.

Dependra Pathak, director general of police of the Andaman and Nicobar islands, told CNN that Chau had made several trips to the island, returning to the fishing boat at least twice. "The boat stopped 500-700 meters (1,640 - 2,300 feet) away from the island and (Chau) used a canoe to reach the shore of the island. He came back later that day with arrow injuries. On the 16th, the (tribespeople) broke his canoe. So he came back to the boat swimming. He did not come back on the 17th; the fishermen later saw the tribespeople dragging his body around."

While on board, he wrote one final note to his family. "You guys might think I'm crazy in all this but I think it's worthwhile to declare Jesus to these people," it said. "God, I don't want to die."

Despite the reports from the fishermen claiming they had seen the tribespeople dragging Chau's body across the beach before burying it in the sand, his mother, Lynda Adams-Chau, told the Post that she believed he was still alive.

Asked why, she answered, "My prayers."

giphy.gif

Violence is never the answer but I can't say I feel bad for this guy...Him visiting the island was illegal in the first place and he could have exposed this tribe to viruses they've never seen before, potentially wiping out the entire population. I feel bad for him that he was going through these delusions of importance but I don't feel bad for the fact that he died before he could kill everyone else.

23 hours ago, Skinny Legend said:

Violence is never the answer

In the case of these people, IMHO, violence was the only answer.  They know no other way.  Their whole purpose in life is to survive.  And this person(Intruder) was, in their eyes a menace to their way of life (Survival) as they know it.  The language barrier alone would most likely have made it impossible to communicate.  

I would not call what he was doing "Delusions".  From all accounts I have read of him, he was sincere in his beliefs. (Right or wrong, I will leave up to others to decide for themselves).   I also do not get the impression he intended any harm to these people.  I think he was just stupid for going there knowing it was illegal.  Also.  According to his journals, he knew the dangers that he could be walking into, and he accepted them.  I say if he knew of the dangers and yet still chose to go there anyway.  He got what was coming to him. 

I am also a bit dumbfounded that his family felt the need to come out and say that they Forgive the people that killed him.  I am truly sorry for their loss.  Losing a loved on is never easy.  But those people (the Sentanalese) do not need any forgiveness.  As they did nothing wrong.  I would have done the same thing had I been in their shoes. 

Again.  I am not judging the man on his belief system.  I am just not sympathetic to the fact that he died doing something stupid.  As well as illegal. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, liberation said:

I feel bad for his family but i agree, he got what was coming for him. It's just unnaceptable to me that christians think that people of other cultures have to be converted to their beliefs. GTFO honestly. 

As I stated in my original comment, I do not fault him for doing what he believed was the right thing in wanting to share his Christian faith with others.  I do believe he meant no harm to these people.  His mistake was not that he was attempting to share his Christian beliefs.  He has every right to do that.  His mistake was that he committed an illegal and very stupid act in his attempt to share his beliefs.  And that, IMO, is what got him killed. 

7 hours ago, Whoknowsmehere said:

As I stated in my original comment, I do not fault him for doing what he believed was the right thing in wanting to share his Christian faith with others.  I do believe he meant no harm to these people.  His mistake was not that he was attempting to share his Christian beliefs.  He has every right to do that.  His mistake was that he committed an illegal and very stupid act in his attempt to share his beliefs.  And that, IMO, is what got him killed. 

This tendency of christianism of wanting to convert people into one of its religions it's so weird to me, idk but it sounds kinda disrespectful with other cultures as if christianism was the only valid faith, that's why i kinda condemn it. But anyways, maybe i'm just being a dramatic cunt about it ;) 

• YAAASSS 1

9 hours ago, Whoknowsmehere said:

I've gotta disagree with you on that one. Even though he meant no harm to people, as @liberation said it's disrespectful to people to try and force your belief system on them when they've made it very clear they're not interested. Obviously trying to share your beliefs isn't reason enough to die, but no one has "every right" to harass people regardless of what it's about.

1 hour ago, liberation said:

This tendency of christianism of wanting to convert people into one of its religions it's so weird to me, idk but it sounds kinda disrespectful with other cultures as if christianism was the only valid faith, that's why i kinda condemn it. But anyways, maybe i'm just being a dramatic cunt about it ;) 

You're not being dramatic, you're 100% right. :roll: I will say that it's not only Christians who try these weird conversions, but regardless of who it is it's disrespectful to other faiths and it's the same mindset that's led to death and discrimination throughout all of history.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skinny Legend said:

I've gotta disagree with you on that one. Even though he meant no harm to people, as @liberation said it's disrespectful to people to try and force your belief system on them when they've made it very clear they're not interested. Obviously trying to share your beliefs isn't reason enough to die, but no one has "every right" to harass people regardless of what it's about.

You make some very valid points my friend.  My point was that, the fact that he went there with good intentions in and of itself is not a bad thing.  Put aside for a moment that it was illegal to go there in the first place. The biggest mistake he made was going some place that was well known for not tolerating outsiders.  It's one thing to knock on someones door and be told to go away.  These people don't just tell you to go away.  They kill you.  Like I said.  He was wrong for going there.  He knew of the possible outcome by doing so.  Therefore his fate was squarely in his own hands. 

Bye Bye...See Ya Later.  Don't let the Arrow hit ya' where the Good Lord Split Ya'.   Oh wait....Too Late.