'Brooklyn Baby' Revealed To Be A Cover

Main Pop Girl

We all know that Lana Del Rey's 'Brooklyn Baby' references Lou Reed, and more diehard fans will know that Reed was meant to feature on the song before his untimely death in 2014.

But what fans have only realised four year after the song was released is that the song is actually a cover of 'The Queen of Brooklyn', a rare song recorded by Reed's band The Velvet Underground. Weirdly, no members of the band have writing credits on the song.

Are you surprised to hear about the song being a cover? :orly: Or do you think the whole thing's a scam and Lana really did write the song herself? Let me know sistrens!

• Shook 1

I CAN'T AT THIS. This is like my favourite track out of Ultraviolence, and I can't imagine it to be a cover. However, the fact that the supposedly original song has no songwriting credits for the band members, makes me think it's only a rumour. However, I think that Lana has proved to write amazing pieces, so it supports that "Brooklyn Baby" could have been written by herself. I also would imagine that it's a fake news because Lana has always credited her covers—"Blue Velvet" for Paradise, "The Other Woman" for Ultraviolence and "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" for Honeymoon, besides "Once Upon a Dream" and more. I don't get why wouldn't she credit that one out, even if it was a rare release by the Reed's band.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 2:37 AM, Moonchild said:

I CAN'T AT THIS. This is like my favourite track out of Ultraviolence, and I can't imagine it to be a cover. However, the fact that the supposedly original song has no songwriting credits for the band members, makes me think it's only a rumour. However, I think that Lana has proved to write amazing pieces, so it supports that "Brooklyn Baby" could have been written by herself. I also would imagine that it's a fake news because Lana has always credited her covers—"Blue Velvet" for Paradise, "The Other Woman" for Ultraviolence and "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" for Honeymoon, besides "Once Upon a Dream" and more. I don't get why wouldn't she credit that one out, even if it was a rare release by the Reed's band.

I wouldn't be surprised if it really was just a rumour. :orly: Tbh I don't know Lou Reed's voice well enough to actually say if this is him singing at all, so it could 100% just be a random soundalike who decided to mess with Lana's fans for whatever reason. Don't ask me why you would do that apart from wanting YouTube views though! :lol: 

• 3 months later...