Graphic Design Opportunities

Main Pop Girl

I'm creating this thread for us to post in whenever we see a graphic design opportunity that could be perfect for one of our members to apply for!

Ester Dean recently made a post on Instagram saying that she's looking for a graphic designer for some new stuff she's planning on putting out later this year. I think all of y'all should go ahead and apply for it, but I'm especially calling out @Woodcrest, @kallumlavigne and @Higher cos I know y'all have some good shit in your portfolio. :yaskween: 

• YAAASSS 3

1 hour ago, Woodcrest said:

Ooh I like this thread idea v much <3 

If I had more time I'd apply for Ester's thing, but at the moment I'm not gonna take on any free commissions, which I know this'll inevitably be lol

Gurl, Ester has that Pitch Perfect money, I bet you she'd pay up well for your shit! :vacuum: You should at least send her your Petite work!

On 22/01/2017 at 4:11 PM, Countess said:

Gurl, Ester has that Pitch Perfect money, I bet you she'd pay up well for your shit! :vacuum: You should at least send her your Petite work!

I think I've missed my chance by now :flush: 

Also a note for anyone searching for work on Twitter, be very careful to only apply for ones mentioning payment otherwise you'll end up working for some 'non-profit, charity rap song' that means the person can't pay you. 

• YAAASSS 1

On 1/25/2017 at 4:26 AM, Woodcrest said:

I think I've missed my chance by now :flush: 

Also a note for anyone searching for work on Twitter, be very careful to only apply for ones mentioning payment otherwise you'll end up working for some 'non-profit, charity rap song' that means the person can't pay you. 

Why does everyone expect people to work for free nowadays? The amount of job listings I see for "Journalism Internships" that just expect you to do their job for them for free is insane...

People don't value the time and skill, I guess, they think you just press a button and take stuff from Google. People who work for free also don't help the wider community either, because it means the people they work for expect the next job to be free too! I think it's ok to do some things for free though - specifically for charities and non-profits - but you should never feel bad for negotiating fair payment, even in those instances if it's something you can't afford to give up.

On 1/27/2017 at 0:06 AM, coolaideonfire said:

People don't value the time and skill, I guess, they think you just press a button and take stuff from Google. People who work for free also don't help the wider community either, because it means the people they work for expect the next job to be free too! I think it's ok to do some things for free though - specifically for charities and non-profits - but you should never feel bad for negotiating fair payment, even in those instances if it's something you can't afford to give up.

True! But there's so much competition around now that people are trying to find ways to differentiate themselves, and a lot of that time I think that involves working for free as bad as it sounds... It sucks but it's really the way things are moving nowadays. :'( 

Some more advice for designers bc I'm feeling worldly atm and I really want this thread to thrive

• Don't be afraid to reject a client if they're not up to your standard. If they come to you with a sloppily put together proposal with no clear direction nor a title tell them you're not available to do their project unless they're prepared to be more professional. They'll nearly always be more trouble than they're worth.
  • Social media is the future of freelance design, if your online presentation isn't up to scratch get on it. Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter are all decent sites to work with especially due to the amount of young creatives. Facebook generally picks up an older audience and that's not always preferable because their briefs aren't generally as exciting.
  • Sometimes you'll need to work for free, it's a harsh reality but you're gonna need to suck a few metaphorical dicks if you want to network with larger artists who's budgets aren't enough. I've earned at least $100 in the last couple of days purely from contacts brought about by doing free work.
  • But don't forget fanmade designs, getting clients and commission work isn't easy and takes time so you'll need to bump up your profiles with fanmade and personal work.
  • Credit the original photographers, it's such a small way of paying respects to the original contributors and goes a long way. Should you ever wish to contact an artist's press/manager for high quality images ensuring that you're crediting the original creatives makes your work look more professional and your image is everything.
  • YAAASSS 2

It's a small opportunity but PopChops is a fun podcast so it would be cool to see y'all support them!

On 2/2/2017 at 5:33 AM, Woodcrest said:

Some more advice for designers bc I'm feeling worldly atm and I really want this thread to thrive

• Don't be afraid to reject a client if they're not up to your standard. If they come to you with a sloppily put together proposal with no clear direction nor a title tell them you're not available to do their project unless they're prepared to be more professional. They'll nearly always be more trouble than they're worth.
  • Social media is the future of freelance design, if your online presentation isn't up to scratch get on it. Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter are all decent sites to work with especially due to the amount of young creatives. Facebook generally picks up an older audience and that's not always preferable because their briefs aren't generally as exciting.
  • Sometimes you'll need to work for free, it's a harsh reality but you're gonna need to suck a few metaphorical dicks if you want to network with larger artists who's budgets aren't enough. I've earned at least $100 in the last couple of days purely from contacts brought about by doing free work.
  • But don't forget fanmade designs, getting clients and commission work isn't easy and takes time so you'll need to bump up your profiles with fanmade and personal work.
  • Credit the original photographers, it's such a small way of paying respects to the original contributors and goes a long way. Should you ever wish to contact an artist's press/manager for high quality images ensuring that you're crediting the original creatives makes your work look more professional and your image is everything.

How do you actually find people using social media? Is there a certain hashtag you use or something that brings them running? :stretcher:   

On 2/5/2017 at 11:09 AM, Countess said:

How do you actually find people using social media? Is there a certain hashtag you use or something that brings them running? :stretcher:   

I have a list of 27 design related hashtags stored on a note ready to just paste in, and then the remaining 3 hashtags are custom tailored to the person in the cover